Speaker Stands -n- Subwoofer Platforms

LiquidSound
LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
edited June 2002 in Troubleshooting
I want to put my subwoofer on something besides carpet. Should I build a box or platform to put it on? Or should I get something like this. http://www.dejavuaudio.com/PLATFORM-VIBRAPLANE.HTM
Also, I want to put my speakers on stands so they'll have the flexibility of better listening spots. These I definitely want to build.
Does anyone know where I can find specs for building either of these things???
Which do you think would be better to use..a metal pole/tripod type of speaker stand? Or a sand filled wooden box stand type thing..?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated..
:D
Two Channel Main
Receiver - VSX-54TX
Mains - Csi40's
Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
Post edited by LiquidSound on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2002
    I recently was on this process also. I am thinking there may be a different sound out of POLK's down firing bass speakers. I put my rt1000's on 1/2" plywood (sanded and painted) did not notice to much of a difference but I have not done a non .1lfe test to see if i could tell. Not any worse and the speakers are more stable. Next I am thinking about putting my Polk sub on a speaker board platform that would raise it a few inches and give something better than the carpet to bounce off of. I wrote about the concept but never recieved a responce. Some people in the club have theres on a type of real heavy slate rock (landscaping) but I am looking for an alternitive way (less costly) and since I have some left over speaker board I might give it a shot. My biggest problem is frontstage area because the footprint of the platform must be larger than the speaker and I am maxed out. :eek:
  • LiquidSound
    edited May 2002
    I like the idea of a heavy rock platform. With the right effect on the edge of the stone, it would look excellent.
    Someone mentions a marble sub platform in the collection section here http://www.audiotweaks.com/default.asp
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Below is my SonoSub sitting on a 2" think piece of Slate. Works wonders for bass.

SonoSub.jpg

I also cut down some 1/2" slate for under my RT55 stands.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • LiquidSound
    edited May 2002
    Nice sub there Ron-p. I bet if you turn it up loud enough, it'll shake off some of the dust on that powerport.
    :D
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• LiquidSound
    edited June 2002
    I'm also thinking about building a special platform to put my couch on. Possibly a triangular shape with the sub put on the tip of the platform. Float the box with large vibrapod-esque devices or something.
    It seems a setup like that would provide quite a bit of rumble for your couch....although I could be complely wrong and the sound and vibration would be horrible. This is all theory.
    Also, since one of the best places to put your sub is in the corner...what about building a sort of *bass cave* in your wall.

What do you guys think about this idea? Have you ever built any vibration specific structures in your homes?
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated...
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's