MMC650 for Frontstage - Your thoughts?

Topper
Topper Posts: 403
edited June 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys!

Been reading so much lately about the benefits of point-source that i've decided i want to try a good pair of coax for my frontstage rather than the more conventional components. After all my research, pretty much narrowed it down to the MMC650.

Now i've searched thru previous posts about this coax but most seem to be using em for just rears. Anyone got em as their pure source of highs? and installed in the fronts? would love to hear your thoughts.

Also how exactly do they differ from their components counterpart - the MMC6500?
Post edited by Topper on

Comments

• Topper
    edited March 2006
    Ooops forgot to mention the rest of my system for reference:

AMP: DD C4 (75w x 2 to power fronts and 150w x 2 to power sub)
    SUB: Single DD1012 12" sub in ported box

Also need to tell you that i've never heard Polk speakers before and since they arent easily available where i am (Philippines), wont really get a chance to hear em before i get them. I'm pretty much going by purely the great things i've read about em online.
  • Vestax
    Vestax Posts: 31
    edited March 2006
    The coaxials are decent and would make a great point source over the components and less phasing issues but one of the great things about going with components is staging, position, and being able to control its on or off axis response. Especially when most stock locations are in doors, it's harder to make coaxials give you good height and depth. Is budget limiting you to get components? What car is it?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    excellent choice in going with the polks. however, if you have the money to spend for the components, by all means do it. you have infinitely more flexibility with components, and they're better speakers to boot (so even if you feel that the best position for the tweets is right on the mids, they'll still sound better than the coax)... if you have the cash, there's really no reason not to get the components
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2006
    As stated before, if buget is limiting you that's one thing. If it is not, I would recommend some components for the reasons stated above. Flexibility is pretty important in a vehicle.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Same here. The components are better speakers and have a better crossover.

Dont get too caught up in this point source issue. That would only really be a factor if both speakers were on axis with you. With the coaxials in the doors, the left one's tweeter is going to be way off axis while the right one will be about dead on. This will screw up not only the stage but overall SQ.

Go with the components, this way you can stick the tweeter wherever it sounds best.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Topper
    edited March 2006
    drat! not quite what i wanted to hear :)

Anyways have always used compononents for the frontstage of my cars (Cliff Designs ages ago and more recently Crystal Mobilesound for my brother's car) but been reading so much bout the benefits of point-source that i wanted to give it a try and do something different. But now y'all are making me think twice :)

VESTAX:

Car's a 2003 Corolla sedan with stock front speaker locations placed very close to the kick-panels (low on the door and very forward).

NEOMAGUS & MACLEOD:

I know the crossover for the components has tweeter attentuation adjustment but is it superior in any other way? and from the specs the speakers seem extremely similar - do the components really have better have better stuff?

EVERYBODY:

Have always been a 'keep the tweeter as close as possible to the mids' kinda guy so all my previous cars had their components set this way (mids in stock door locations with tweets at the kickpanels) so was thinking since the stock locations for my corolla are so close to the kickpanels anyway, might as well try the whole point-source concept i've been hearing so much about.

Will components really automatically get me noticebly better sound over the coax? even with the aimable tweeter and with the above mentioned stock speaker locations?

As for the price, well normally it wouldnt be a factor except that Polks arent available where i live (Philippines) that when i factor in the additional fees its costing to get it to me, its coming out way higher than what i could get for some of the other speaks i was considerin namely:

- DLS MS6a
    - Rainbow Soundlines <-- i really like this but blasted thing is outta stock and gonna be that way for the next few months still (though i can get the coaxial version for almost half the price am going to be spending for the MMC650)
    - DD Seps - Kinda too entry-level for me

(holy smokes that was a long post. Sorry bout that peeps :))

EDIT: One of the goals i got is to have a better sounding system than some of my other car audio club buddies but doing it with coax speaks (yes i know its really lame but you know how it is right :))
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited March 2006
    yeah sure do. im a cheapskate im using db series speakers though ive heard go with the mmc speakers.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    component speakers are better than their coaxial counterparts, in crossover quality (not just features) and speaker quality... they flat-out sound better... you've mentioned reading about the 'benefits of point-source' a couple times now... where are you doing your reading? as far as i know, the only way to know what's best is to try it all, something else components allow you to do (if the tweets sound best in your dash, screw your friends, and put the tweets in the dash!)

this is a polk forum, and they are an excellent speaker, but we do realise money is a part of life, so we'll help you choose a different brand, if you like...

what HU do you have?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Topper
    edited March 2006
    Headunit is a Kenwood KDC-X8529:

(pulled from their website:)
    Fully Motorized Slide-down Front Panel with TDF, Real Aluminium Face Panel Design, Advanced 3-D Multicolour FL Display (64 Colours), "ACDrive" (=Advanced Codec Drive) Function, G-Analyser, Supplied with Remote Control Unit, Supplied with PC Application Software CD-ROM(Phantnoise Media Manager), Tel Mute, Maximum Output Power : 50W x 4 (MOSFET Power IC), Gold Plated 3 Preouts with 5V Pre-output Level, Subwoofer Level & Low Pass Filter Adjustable, Built In Amp Mute Function, System Q-Ex/ System E's+, AUX Input, AAC Files Playback created by ex. Apple iTunesTM for Windows, WMA & MP3 Files Playback with ID-3 Tag Display, 24bit Burr Brown D/A Converter, Optional Apple iPodTM Interface Ready (KCA-IP500)

KDC-X8529_thn.jpg

As for the point-source thing, just articles i've come across the net and different forums i visit (termpro, sounddomain, carsound, etc.)
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    i knew nakamichi made home audio stuff didnt know they made car audio stuff too. my dad has a nakamichi stereo in his house with the matthew s polk signature sda-srs series speakers
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • Topper
    edited March 2006
    Ok i just got an email about the price of the components version (MMC6500) and on its own it aint bad but once i factor in all the additional charges to get it to me, its coming out quite a huge bit over budget.

Ya really really REALLY sure those coax speaks will be disappointing? :)
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited March 2006
    If your into sound quality coaxials are a waste of money bro. I had a set of the mmc650's they are good for coaxials but components sound a hell of a lot better.

If you don't have the extra money just pick you up a set of the polk DB6500 components in my opinion they sound much better than the mmc650's.
  • Topper
    edited March 2006
    By the way here's some of the stuff i keep encountering around the net incase y'all were wondering:

"Point Source Speakers are Better....FACT....Back to Top

The next time you see a duck (sat on a pond) take two or three pieces of bread and throw them in the pond so that they land close together and at the same time. Watch the ripples produced and how they spead out - you will see they are very confused - hard to follow. Wait for the water to settle, then throw in a single piece of bread (away from the duck!) and observe how uniformly the ripples spread out in a pure circle.
    This is an EXACT analogy of how sound waves travel in air. A single source (one speaker) produces a series of vibrations (ripples) that travel out from the speaker in a coherent (all together) fashion. The result - beautiful clear, direct sound with no confusion. Multiple speakers (2 or more) produce vibrations exactly like the confused ripples you saw when throwing multiple objects into the pond and produce lots of incoherent (confused) vibrations.
    This is complicated by the fact that as you change position (even slightly) in front of a multiple speaker, you hear different combinations of ripples (vibrations) that affect your perception of the sound - you lose focus.

Given the pond illustration, a single speaker must have the edge when it comes to producing a focused, coherent sound front and this is true. The difficulty is that no single driver can reproduce the full range of sounds contained within the audio spectrum and we need both a woofer and tweeter to achieve this. The point source problem is solved very cleverly by mounting the tweeter at the center and on the same exact axis as, the woofer. This Dual Concentric approach CAN and DOES produce the same clearly focused pattern as a single speaker, but crucialy, now across the whole audio spectrum. Hence we get the best of both worlds. "

Hope y'all dont think am being stubborn or anything like that as am really just trying to educate myself with the facts. If you asked me before, without a doubt i woulda agreed that components are far superior to coaxs but nowadays we got significantly better coax speaker options out there with better mids and pointable tweets and outboard crossovers rather than just cheap filter caps that i really aint too sure anymore. Hmmm... anyways i do appreciate all your thoughts and comments peeps so please keep it comming and will probably make my decision by monday or tuesday on which to go with :)

CAM5860:

Just outta curiosity, could ya please post how both these speaks we're installed in your car. (like where were the mmc650s installed before? and when you switched em for the DB6500, where'd you install the tweets? stuff like that).

Also we're the speaks the only stuff that got switched during that upgrade?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2006
    Problem with the pond analogy, assuming the pieces of bread weigh the same, is that the two pieces of bread are creating the same wavelenghths, which are of course, colliding. Your mid and tweet will be producing different wavelengths, assuming there is a crossover.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    they will indeed be producing different wavelengths, and so intereference of that kind happens only around the xover frequency, but all the other stuff that goes wrong in a car has so much more of an effect it's not even funny...

consider:
    phase errors (everything in the signal path introduces some, most especially the xover... these are really hideous errors)
    reflections (the reflections in a car are more numerous and nearly as powerful as the main signal - consider whipping a whole loaf of bread into the pond, that's about the right deal)
    even if you do mount as a point-source, and even ignoring the existing phase errors, you're still out of phase (look at home speakers - they often mount the tweet behind the plane of the mid, with good reason)

altogether, the benefits in a normal system are minimal, as long as you're patient (i.e. you find the best spot for the tweets by experimentation, not by slapping them where you think they'll sound good)

reason i asked what HU you have is cause if you have time alignment, point-source is even less fun - you can emulate any pathlength you choose, much tasty for imaging :p

p.s. that duck/pond/bread analogy is correct, it's just not very useful in a car... in a home, that's a whole 'nother story...

• 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    id like to go with polk componet speakers but they are round and my car takes oval speakers, am i limited to the oval speakers, or are there adapter plates, for the round speakers?
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    also where should i mount the tweets in my car dash, a pillars, doors
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    Topper wrote:
    - Rainbow Soundlines <-- i really like this but blasted thing is outta stock and gonna be that way for the next few months still (though i can get the coaxial version for almost half the price am going to be spending for the MMC650)

I have heard very good things regarding the Soundlines from Rainbow. If given the chance I would jump on those.

I read about an IASCA sanctioned event over in Spain where these guys beat out some $1000 plus Focal Utopias in an SQ competition.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • jimmyjam_
    jimmyjam_ Posts: 8
    edited March 2006
    do not use oval speakers. they do not perform as well as round speakers. my SR 6.5"s came with 6x9 adapter plates, if your speakers don't come with them then get a piece of plywood or mdf and make some.
    oh yeah btw the Polk SRs care convertible to coax by unscrewing the phase plug in the woofer and replacing it with a tweeter mount (included with the speakers also). yielding the best damn coaxs in existence. granted they are expensive.

the thing I don't like about run-of-the-mill coax speakesr is they usually just have 1st order crossovers, ie 1 inductor and 1 cap glued onto the basket somewhere. I have seen a set of Memphis coaxes with external 2nd order crossovers that have better potential of sounding good.

and as far as placement goes, your best bet is to put some double sided tape on the back of the speakers and play around to see what works best for your speakers and your car in particular.

Polk SR6500________MB Quart QAA4250 | MB Quart QAA1000____JL Audio 12W6V2
    TangBand W8-740C__/
    ___________________Pioneer AVIC-D1 Navi w/ XM and iPod___________________
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Again, ideally having the mid and tweeter close together is the best way to do it BUT a car is nowhere near ideal. For one thing, one set of speakers is going to be a lot more off axis than the other so youll get different frequencies at different intensities. Second, having the tweeters in the floor will almost always pretty much put your stage in the floor. At best itll be a rainbow stage.

The advantages you get in staging and imaging far outweigh any benefits to having the tweeter close to the mid.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    jimmyjam_ wrote:
    do not use oval speakers. they do not perform as well as round speakers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using oval speakers if theyre well made. The old argument about them not being as rigid as a round speaker and thus open to more distortion is only relative at the flea market level of speakers.

Ill stack the MB Quart 6x9 components up against any round speaker in its class.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    I've never heard of this point-source idea. Made for interesting reading, for sure.

The pond analogy was pretty good, though not 100% accurate. One thing that stands out to me is, you keep saying that the tweeter is 'pointable'; if you point the tweeter toward you, it's no longer on the same axis as the mid, thus destroying your whole point-source theme.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, but it seems to be coming from the same place.

Im just not sold on the point source thing. I dont dispute it works best but I just believe the difference is very small and not worth the deffeciencies in staging. Staging makes the sound quality for my personal tastes. It bugs me to no end having all the music coming from one side or from the floor.

• Topper
    edited March 2006
    JIMMYJAM:

Yeah but thats the whole reason am considering the MMC650 (even though its a heck of a lot more hassle to get) in that it is far from run-of-the-mill. They not only got 2nd order outboard crossovers but the speaks themselves look great and somewhat high-end and the tweets are pointable as well. This and the JL Audio XR series coaxs seem like the best coaxs out there (not comparing component convertibles ofcourse) but keep hearing mixed reviews bout the JLs while these Polks seem consistently awsome :).

1996BLACKMAX:

I have personally heard them and they are amazing and well deserved of their reputation but since their priced really well over here, they keep running outta stock and it'll be a few months till they arrive again so decided to remove em from the options.

MACLEOD:

Yep thats the prob i had/have with all my other cars when the tweets we're in the kickpanels. They all sounded great but the rainbow effect was very pronounced. Pretty sure i'll encounter this again if i do go with the coaxs so am gonna have to do quite a bit of pondering over the weekend :)

AUDIOBLISS:

Ya it also got me thinking quite a bit when i first chanced upon it. Wish i could find that really great article bout it that i read before so i could post it for ya but google has been failing me :). If i do come across it, will definitely send it your way.

As for the pointable tweets, yep was aware of that but am thinking atleast with this set i got the option whereas other coaxs am stuck. Could technically just keep em pointing straight and on-axis and put this whole 'rippling pond' theory to the test :)
  • Topper
    edited March 2006
    Once again lemme just say i appreciate all the comments coming in and in about T minus 48 to 56 hours, will make my decision and order whichever set i finally decide on.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    Topper wrote:

1996BLACKMAX:

I have personally heard them and they are amazing and well deserved of their reputation but since their priced really well over here, they keep running outta stock and it'll be a few months till they arrive again so decided to remove em from the options.

I know a guy here in the U.S. that is an authorized dealer for them. He has a group deal going on for them on another website that I am a member of. I am thinking about picking up a set for my wife's car :) . The $220 dollars shipped to my door is too good of a deal to pass up. I will probably contact him in a couple of days or so :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Topper
    edited March 2006
    - OT -

1996BLACKMAX:

If you have a subwoofer already and your sep's amp's atleast 50 to 60w per channel, try to get the 'Kick' versions of the Soundlines instead. They supposedly offer significantly better performance in the midbass region but shouldnt be played below 80hz at a 12db slope (hence the need for the sub). They got a great paper on these 'kick' version speaks on the download section of their website.

EDIT: Since Rainbow's website is a bit tough to find, thought i'd post it for ya to make it easier - http://car.rainbow-audio.de/home/home.php?lan=2
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    I read that article a little while ago, good advice :). Actually, it is already on my computer :D.

I had looked into getting some of their Profi Line Kickbass components (CS 265 Profi Kick) before. I ended up getting their Germanium components. The reviews in Europe were right on regarding this set. I will see what the wife says regarding adding a sub, she was not into the whole sub in the trunk thing before. If she says it's a go, I will see about getting those for her car.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 98thumpin
    edited March 2006
    so in other words u can put a round speaker in a oval hole. do they make oval component speakers?
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
  • Topper
    edited March 2006
    98thumpin wrote:
    so in other words u can put a round speaker in a oval hole. do they make oval component speakers?

You mean stuff like these:

231569.jpg

6800cs.jpg

xr570csi.jpg

looks like you got quite a few options bud :)