55" HDTV - Any Recommendations? Screen Burn?

Options
tortfsr24
tortfsr24 Posts: 79
edited May 2002 in Electronics
Dear Forum:

Just got a progressive scan dvd player and I'm tired of my Toshiba 32". Although I utilize the component video output, I want to see what it will do on a 16:9 HDTV compatible with progressive scan.

Here's the deal. Where I am located I cannot receive over the air HDTV signals. Further, I really don't want to invest in a DBS settop decoder box for $700 to receive 2 channels of HDTV material.

I will be using the TV as my primary set such that 80% of the time I will be viewing just standard "digital" (I use that term very loosely) cable in 4:3 format. I have heard of problems concerning watching 4:3 material over long periods of time burning into the crt's(?) causing shadows and screen damage. Most 16:9 HDTVs have the ability to stretch 4:3 material to 16:9. My question is how accurately do they do this, can you notice it, does it bother you especially watching sporting events, etc. I really don't want to spend $3,000 and have to go through a "getting used to it" period. Do any of you have any opinions as to which manufacturers have the best technology addressing this issue.

Every thing points to the rational conclusion that I should wait to make the plunge........but.......

Thanks in advance for your input,

Brent
Post edited by tortfsr24 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    this is a touchy subject,
    screen size is a pain in the **** right now.There is to many different ratio's being used.I wish they would choose just one.16x9 would be just fine for everything but NO.
    Buying a tv right now is extremly hard, in your shoes even harder.But there are many 4:3 set still on the market.
    If you want a good 55 inch 55, I would go Mitsubishi.You get the max out of your money.They don't cost much and are competive with all other brands except Pioneer Elite.
    4:3 on a 16x9 tv just sucks.I hate it.It's stretched out,or it has lines on the side just waiting to burn up your set.I have not bought a 16x9 tv for my livingroom due to these facts.I have a Sony 36 inch XBR and I'm pleased....for now.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Once you go widescreen, you will NEVER go back !

Toshiba have been making widscreen sets for years and their famous "theaterwide1" stretch mode is simply the best. 50hx81 owner myself.;)
    Sony widescreens come a close second with their stretch modes. However if you still want a 4x3 set, at least choose one with compression modes. That feature will let let those black bars on w/s material turn grey or stretch vertically. The benefit is really to prolong the lifespan of your set and prevent widescreen burn-in. Hitachi and Toshiba offer this feature but not Sony.

Imo, stick with widescreen. The prices are dropping as new models come out for the fourth quarter. By next year, you will be hard pressed to find a decent 4x3 set !
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Options
    If 80% of your viewing is 4:3 material, stick with a 4:3 set. Pick up a Sony that can do the 'squeeze'. That way you get the bennie of anamorphic ws and no burn in worries.

I love my 46" WS Mits and will never go back, but it sees 99% DVDs. I think the only 4:3 material it has ever seen is Friends Season 1.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I went through the same questions before I got my Toshiba widescreen. My roommates and I watch a lot of "regular" tv. But I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER watch TV in 4:3 when watching cable... NEVER. I think at first I did have to "get used to it", but I can't tell the difference now. Even when I watch a regular tube 4:3 tv and then go home and watch mine, I wouldn't want to put it in 4:3 mode.

And sports, please, it's awesome.

But the best of course is watching DVDs. Beautiful! And I love when I watch anamorphic movies with the bars on the top and bottom with my widescreen. I mean, it's a wide WIDE picture, simply awesome.

So just do it, you'll be fine, it's only money and you'll enjoy -- it's a cost that will reward you with every "ohhhhh and ahhhh".

~JB
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited May 2002
    Options
    ron-p,

The anamorhic squeeze on Sony 4x3 sets is similar to the compression modes on Hitachi and Toshiba.
    However, there will STILL be black bars on the Sony which can lead to screen burn-in.
    To prevent burn-in, other 4x3 brands offer grey bars,zoom modes, vertical squeeze, and even raster shifting.

Brent,
    Stick with widescreen even if you watch a lot of 4x3 material. The market and technology is moving towards this.
    You'll find that 4x3 material "fitted" on a widesreen will be a non-issue and you'll be wondering why you even worried.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I know begbie.

Going with a 4:3 HD set would eliminate worry of burn in because of the amount of 4:3 material he watches. Yet, he'd still gain the benefit of anamorphic DVDs with the squeeze. Of course you'd still have black bars, that is unavoidable.

Going with a 16:9 set and watching that much 4:3 material would increase the worry of burn in, unless you watch in an expanded mode.

Best thing to do is hit up a few TV shops and have them expand 4:3 material on a 16:9 and see if you like it.

If...
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited May 2002
    Options
    You'll find that 4x3 material "fitted" on a widesreen will be a non-issue and you'll be wondering why you even worried.

You said it man.

~JB
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by begbie
    Once you go widescreen, you will NEVER go back !

Toshiba have been making widscreen sets for years and their famous "theaterwide1" stretch mode is simply the best. 50hx81 owner myself.;)
    Sony widescreens come a close second with their stretch modes. However if you still want a 4x3 set, at least choose one with compression modes. That feature will let let those black bars on w/s material turn grey or stretch vertically. The benefit is really to prolong the lifespan of your set and prevent widescreen burn-in. Hitachi and Toshiba offer this feature but not Sony.

Imo, stick with widescreen. The prices are dropping as new models come out for the fourth quarter. By next year, you will be hard pressed to find a decent 4x3 set !

I also have the same set it kicks ****!!! I side by side compared it to Mitsubishi and Sony the picture doesn't compare.The Toshiba has a 6th lens which the others do not have and you can see the difference!!!! I kept looking at the picture saying how come the famous Mitsu doesn't look as good. Also the Toshiba has a upconverter compent video to 540p . It bypass the upverter when receiving a progressive scan . I have no regrets !!! It also has great reveiws .;)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i have a mitsubish ws-65819 with is a 65 inch wide screen very sweet but it is huge and awsome 1 thing i love is to watch hockey streched on my set it makes it feel like you are there also alot of the shows are showing in ws like er and some others
    the toshiba is a nice set and so is the mitsubishi
    the nice thing is you can get a 65 inch widescreen aneyware from 2400-12000 depends on the model and also the 65 inch ws is a 2 piece unit
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I just got a Mitsubishi WS55819 HD ready set. 55" wide screen & its awsome. DVD's are steller! Your like me the tv is our main tv & we do watch regular tv shows about 50% of the time. Dont expect a direct view picture from a wide screen HD set. I have standard cable & it looks alright but we want a better cable picture. We also do not have a large choice for HD brodcast, in out area we can get only 3 HD chanels. Not woth the extra $30 per month. We watch 4:3 in streached or expanded mode to fill the screen. We bought the WS tv to watch DVD's & we are not disapointed. We looked at all the brands but Mits seemed to be clearer & offer the upgrade guranty. If you want a TV for more 4:3 vewing get a Sony direct view, for DVD's WS is the way to go. I look at it as once HD broadcasts are more readly avail I already have the TV for it, until than we will watch a less than perfect cable broadcast,& watch steller DVD movies!
  • jeberhart
    jeberhart Posts: 69
    edited May 2002
    Options
    OK, all this talk about HD has me slobbering to get in on it, but everything I keep hearing says I should wait. What about limited # of HD component inputs? What about future compatibility issues? What about...aw, the hell with it; I'll probably do it anyway pretty soon. That said, aren't the tube sets still much better in terms of quality than any projection set out there? I'm going 16x9, no question, but I sure as hell don't want screen burn. How come nobody can make a really good projection set for a reasonable amount of money? And another thing: I just saw some ads for LCD HD widescreen sets -- a lot less bulky, but do they suck? And what about this: Why not get a set with the HD receiver built in instead of a monitor? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty uninformed concerning all this. Still watching my old 4:3 31-incher...
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    That said, aren't the tube sets still much better in terms of quality than any projection set out there?
    Not always true. Once you spend some extra coin and get your HD-RPTV ISF calibrated, it can and will out-perform direct view.
    How come nobody can make a really good projection set for a reasonable amount of money?
    Well, prices are dropping weekly. As the popularity increases, prices will decrease. RPTV has never been as popular as direct view. Supply and demand my friend.

You could come up with reasons to wait, wait for a long time. No matter how long, new stuff is coming out daily. Just bite the bullet. I bought my Mits over a year ago, been enjoying an ISF calibrated 16:9 RPTV Progressive picture every damn day.

Infact, just last night 'Silverado'.

If...
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    Options
    mitsubishi has a upgrade warentee if there is new tech that out dates your tv they will have a fix for it for a good price