Matching Polk Audio Speakers with Denon A/V 2106

Options
dannyboy
dannyboy Posts: 2
edited March 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hello,

I'm new to this forum (and to audio system set-ups as this basic question indicates.) I have read some of the past posts about matching speakers with receivers and am having trouble specifically determining which speakers I could use with my Denon 2106 A/V receiver (7.1 channels rated at 100 watts per channel). I would prefer not to add an amplifier to the system (limited space in the components area). The room is a carpeted, wood-paneled, 20x30 den. We would watch movies and listen to music at moderate volume. I don't want the receiver to run hotter than normal.

I had wanted to get LSi 15's and an LSi C but in reading the comments, it appears that these 4 ohm speakers wouldn't work without amps, right?

My fallback was the RTi Line. What is the largest that would work as front speakers with my receiver?

Would a CSi 5 (20-200 watts recommended) work, along with FXi5 surrounds or do I need to drop down to CSi 3 or lower?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Post edited by dannyboy on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I would go with the RTi8's and CSi5. If you can add an amp in the future, they would be even happier. ;)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hi Danny, welcome to Club Polk!

I would get the RTi8's, CSi5 & FXi5's. As for the Denon, do make sure that you get one that does have pre-outs so that if the situation changes & you want more power you have the option to add it.

Oh & don't forget a good sub to round out the RTi8's. Check out SVS, HSU, or Outlaw for good deals.

Let us know what you end up getting.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dannyboy
    dannyboy Posts: 2
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Thanks Fireshoes and Cfrizz,
    Your suggestions were really good ones. After looking into these possibilities, I believe my 100-watt per cannnel receiver can handle these pariings okay.

I went to a PA dealer today to see and hear these for myself and was quite pleased by all of them, the RTi8's, especially. I thought the FXi 5's were a little large for my back wall, and I couldn't tell a great deal of difference between them and the FXi 3's in the store's sound room. They produced a somewhat fuller sound, but I think I'll be happy with the FXi 3's in my setup.

I purchased the RTi 8's, the Csi 5, and the FXi 3's today and plan to add a subwoofer. I also purchased a Panasonic DVD/VCR combo recorder to go along with my old Pioneer cartridge CD player. (I really love this old CD player that enables me to group my CD's and insert 6 at a time conveniently and wonder why this approach did not catch on. I'll hate it when it finally dies.) I'm looking forward to getting all of this hooked up and in a few weeks or months adding a plasma tv to complete the setup.

Thanks again. I may be back here asking for more help as I try to set all of these components up.....

Best regards,
    Dannyboy
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase Danny. Let us know how it all sounds & if we can help you out some more.

Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2