For Married Men Only

Options
riglehart
riglehart Posts: 276
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I bought some SDA SRS 2.3TLs on Ebay last week ($795). They are showing up next week. I haven't told my wife yet. Any suggestions???!!!!

PS. - I (we) can afford them. So, money isn't a big issue. Currently, I (we) have nothing close to this. I've basically fulllfilled a dream I've had since I got my monitor 5s in high school.
Jolida Tube
Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
Standard equip not worth bragging about.
Post edited by riglehart on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Honesty works better than anything else.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Tell her the last sentence of fulfiling a dream....my wife still doesn't understand and considers the big speakers to be so 70s/80s, but she really wants me to have all those things that I wanted when I couldn't afford them and supports my addiction wholly.:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Frank Z wrote:
    Honesty works better than anything else.
    Ditto. Though that's my morals speaking, rather than experience.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • riglehart
    edited March 2006
    Options
    So, a new dishwasher probably isn't a good idea?!
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    LOL! Well since you won't be able to hide them, I suggest that the first music she hears from them should be something she likes!

The first time my wife saw my 2.3's she was awestruck by the size. I wish she could have had the same expression the first time she saw my willie:D
    Carl

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Go stash a pillow and blanket within reach of the living room. Nothing worse than not having them when you're sleeping on the couch and she's locked the bedroom door.

At least you'll be able to enjoy your new speakers, albeit at low volume, for the next few nights. :D
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Boy, this is a tough one. If they were going in the living room, I'd be in deep shite, but I have my listening area set up in my shop so I can put pretty much anything in there I want.

Where exactly do you expect these to go in your house? If they are going in your main family room, your wife is going to kill you no matter what you buy her.....:eek:
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Originally Posted by schwarcw
    LOL! Well since you won't be able to hide them, I suggest that the first music she hears from them should be something she likes!

Totally agree. Made my wife a believer.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited March 2006
    Options
    riglehart,I like your style...much better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission...

Honey,BTW,I purchased "us" a real nice pair of speakers the other day,"you're" going to love them.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited March 2006
    Options
    BSUfbfan wrote:
    Boy, this is a tough one. If they were going in the living room, I'd be in deep shite, but I have my listening area set up in my shop so I can put pretty much anything in there I want.

Where exactly do you expect these to go in your house? If they are going in your main family room, your wife is going to kill you no matter what you buy her.....:eek:

These are monster sized speakers... for my smaller SDA2's I just sorta (honesty is the best policy - but details can kill ya) mentioned that I "picked up a new set of speakers for the HT rig I have been wanting to build"... which was pretty much fine - I just forgot to mention that they were 50" tall!!!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Diamonds
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • MrBuhl
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Diamonds

Or that too... :D
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• riglehart
    edited March 2006
    Options
    This is great info. Here's my plan...

Step 1
    Tonight I'll let her know that I found my "dream" speakers on ebay and snapped them up. I'll never need another set again. I had SDA-2s once before, so this isn't totally unprecedented. Ironically, I sold them because they where too big in our last home.

Step 2
    Christen the speakers with a showing of "Pride and Prejudice". She loves this movie and has the soundtrack.

Step 3
    Offer her a "big ticket item" gift card so she can plunk down cash on something special. I work, she takes care of our 5 kids (she works, but doesn't get paid). She deserves this anyway.

If anyone see's a flaw in this, let me know. I'll keep eveyone posted.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Consulting her first would have been a big plus. She'll see the rest as trying to asuage your guilt.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Trouble. BIG trouble. I hope you bought an upgraded couch to go with those...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2006
    Options
    fall on the sword and let her in on it before the speaks arrive, this will be HUGE!

sell the whole "theyre going in your listening room anyway.

now think hard, was there anything you wouldnt let her do recently? (or pittched a general **** about, which might have made her not do something she wanted to do? if you can remember one, correct it

good luck tiger!

luckily for me, honesty works from jumpstreet, luckily she tolerated the theater in the livingroom and all the 2 channel shite goes into to basement :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    riglehart wrote:
    . . . she takes care of our 5 kids (she works, but doesn't get paid).

Sell the speakers before the kids destroy them:eek:

Good luck with the plan!:) Let us know what she thinks of them
    Carl

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2006
    Options
    She may like to buy new furniture to go with the big speakers, new paint, rug,
    curtains.......
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2006
    Options
    If I heard this statement come out of your mouth, I would expect you to mean it & keep it!

Good luck!:)

riglehart wrote:
    This is great info. Here's my plan...

Step 1
    Tonight I'll let her know that I found my "dream" speakers on ebay and snapped them up. I'll never need another set again.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2006
    Options
    If I bought any audio gear before touching base with the wife I would have no fingers for typing left and could no longer participate in this forum.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2006
    Options
    My last BIG purchase was my speakers. My wife said 'so honey, how much were they (serious apprehension on her face)" I said err, umm, $890 dollars. She says "whew, I thought you were gonna say like 10 thousand or something..."

(a BIG BRIGHT lightbulb turns on)

So, internally I'm beating myself on the head saying, damn, I coulda pulled off some $6500 speaks, easily. Oh well!...LOL!!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yeah, Steve. You could have gotten away getting a Sonus Faber Anniversario, and asked the store to bill you in 3 equal installment payments! ;)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2006
    Options
    :D WAAAAA!!:D

HBombToo wrote:
    If I bought any audio gear before touching base with the wife I would have no fingers for typing left and could no longer participate in this forum.

HBomb
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jose_L
    Jose_L Posts: 52
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Just tell her "End of Discussion, and while your standing, get me a beer" ... :)

That's what I'd say If I was married . ;)
    Original SDA owner 1988 - 2006
    Tyler Linbrook owner 2006
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Jose_L wrote:
    Just tell her "End of Discussion, and while your standing, get me a beer" ... :)

With that said, I understand why you are not married and probably have to shave your palm twice a day:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • MrBuhl
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Jose_L wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!! :D:D

Oh - you would be SOOOooooo Dead Meat in my house for that!! :D

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited March 2006
    Options
    get a new wife.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Don't be a "**** Whipped Man."

You men earn the money and you need to relax at home with BIG speakers. Women want you to buy what you need to be happy.

Isn't that right?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    bikezappa wrote:
    Women want you to buy what you need to be happy.

Isn't that right?
    I must say I believe my mom would disagree. :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520