Magnepan MG-1

Options
2»

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,280
    edited March 2006
    Options
    "Do these things go for very much? I'm not quite sure what to do with them.
    Joe
    Birmingham, AL"

Well........uhm.......I've got a thought !

Now, as far as using triangulation (and my, isn't that a big word for such a big boy !) to find the sweet spot, I might offer my services in assisting you in finding the sweet spot without using triangulation.

Of course, my definition of sweet spot and your definition of sweet spot might be slightly different.
    I know for me, it would definitely be sweet !

You'd definitely have to use those speakers in rear surround mode, though.

MrBig-"Sorry, I had a flashback to my BBSing days"-Light
    Sal Palooza
  • jray9900
    jray9900 Posts: 5
    edited March 2006
    Options
    George -
    I had a bad experience with a Polk dealer back in my college days and lets just say when I saw your comment you reminded me of that humiliating experience. When I posted my first comment, I was trying to convey excitement and enthusiasm over my new prize! Just as if someone had gone to a yard-sale and found a Babe Ruth baseball card. That doesn't neccessarily mean I'm looking to sell them. Of course, if you were to tell me I could get a cool $1M for 'em, they'd be gone in a heartbeat!

I realize you don't know me from Adam's house cat, but I did get messages from a couple of folks on this forum who helped me to understand a little more about what you've gone through from all these random guys coming into your world, just here trying to sell you stuff and take your money.

Hopefully, this will be the end of this thread and we can move on, together, in peace, without the bittern thorns of animosity based on a miniscule understanding. I can learn to accept you and all of your faults if you can overlook mine. Can we move on, together?

Sincerely,
    jray9900
    xxxooo

PS - Polks still suck! <grin>
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I'll buy 'em ... a root beer.
    I love inside jokes...

jray9900,
    Actually, while I count nearly every vet among my friends, including GG, I kinda liked your gumption. And while GG may not know Polk, I don't know of another member that had drinks with Henry Kloss, Edgar Vilchur and other AR audio greats.

Seems like from your last post you plan to hang, or at least pay us the odd visit every once in a while.

Fine by me...

As for the MG-1's... more than triangulation is needed for them to bloom. Start with them 2.5' from the back wall, about 6' apart (inside edge) and toed in about 30 degrees and play from there. Properly set up Maggies produce a jaw-dropping soundstage.

And keep the cats, if any, away from them...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Joe is a nice guy, talked on the side, he's solid.

I don't really find it a big deal he's not a rabid Polk fan, considering the cross-section of speakers in the core, let alone the masses.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.