Magnepan MG-1

Options
jray9900
jray9900 Posts: 5
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
My uncle gave me an old pair of magnepan magneplanar mg-1 speakers. They sound very good -- the tweeters are in good shape and they're very presentable cosemetically. They've been in his garage so wiping the dust off them was all they needed. I hooked them up to my system and they sound great (as long as you're in the sweet spot). Do these things go for very much? I'm not quite sure what to do with them.
Joe
Birmingham, AL
Post edited by jray9900 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Congrats & welcome. Any pics?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2006
    Options
    jray9900 wrote:
    I hooked them up to my system and they sound great...I'm not quite sure what to do with them.
    Use them?

Welcome to CP.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2006
    Options
    That's a neat speaker, have fun.

Welcome to CP.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk jray9900. Those are great speakers, enjoy listening to them. Ditto on the pics, if you have any post them. We'd love to see them.
    Carl

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    What Bob said. Use them, enjoy them. Welcome! Post more, get involved.

If your one post is only to find out what they are worth so you can hang 'em out on ebay for profit....well, let's just hope that's not so.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2006
    Options
  • jray9900
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Dear George/Polkologist --- I''m not one of those guys that can afford a the friggin' mega-system in each closet of my house! I've never owned a pair of magnepans (or ribbon speakers for that matter) before. For what its worth, I actually talked to a guy I met off of ebay and he described to me how to triangulate the magnepans to find that small "sweet spot" as well as how to check to make sure the tweeters aren't worn out. That's a lot nicer welcome than you've given me here! "Smell ebay?"....why don't you "smell my ****!"

As far as everybody else is concerned - Thanks --- no, I'm not here just for some quick info but please don't expect me to log on everyday and post to everything in every forum. This will probably be the only forum I ever look at considering I'm not much of a fan of Polk's work in speaker design so I doubt I'd be able to contribute constructively in other forums. Besides, I've got a mortgage on a house that is a real fixer upper so it eats every thing the wife and three kids don't! Not to mention I work in sales!

Vintage/hi end audio is always been one of those fun things I've wanted to do ..just something I've never really had the time/money to play around with. My first speakers were a pair of AR17s (also given to me). Like every other stupid kid that graduated college in the 90s, I bought into the Bose myth and got a set of 301s which I've had about eight years. I think they're good speakers despite what snobs may say....but, the reality is they're not great speakers....how can anything with a paper cone tweeter be a great speaker? but its definitely not a bad speaker. But before you go get your panties in a wad and write me off as another Bose-head who doesn't know crap -- they are leaving as soon as I get the refoam kit for a pair of Inifinity SS2003s that I picked up at a yard sale for $20. Nyah! Beat that!

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't had a chance to take pics of the magnepans as I don't own a digital camera. Hopefully, both of those will come to fruition soon!
    Joe
    Birmingham, AL
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2006
    Options
    jray9900 wrote:
    Dear George/Polkologist ...why don't you "smell my ****!"

We all have our bad days, some of us have more than others. Your smelly attitude is not a smart move. :(
  • jray9900
    edited March 2006
    Options
    you know, there's a whole other world out there besides yours. Thanks for the welcome but I've been in too many forums where whenever you're new to the clique you have to "prove yourself worthy" to the one guy who wants to be a snob and sniff you out to make sure you're "kosher." If your goal was to run off someone, congratulations....
    Thanks anyway....
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm a noobie too but I wouldn't even think of using "smell my ****" to another forum member. Why are you asking info about maggies on a polk forum anyway? Yup something stinks here and it isn't the veteran forum members for sure.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Bye....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I think George set a new record there. Driving off a new member with only three words! :cool:

Joe, don't the comments personally. The guys who have been here for a while tend to look out for each other and can sometimes be a little harsh on the new guys if they make a bad start. Stick around and enjoy the new maggies. My first post was pretty much exactly what you've done and I got bashed for it too. I decided to stick around and ended up learning a lot.

Just curious but what bought you to the polk forum?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    What a freakin' crackpot.:rolleyes:
    Log on to a forum set up by Polk Audio and ask questions right outta the gate about a completely different brand. The first post just screams I WANT TO SELL THESE!! Well fine, but good gawd man don't get your panties in heavily starched wad over a simple ebay comment. George nailed it. You're going to end up selling 'em on ebay, or somewhere else. If you truly wanted or intended to keep them you certainly wouldn't have included the oh-so-popular "Wonder what they're worth?" tag line.

You really need to re-read your post before you opt to taste your own shoe leather again.

I just love it when people post 1 time and get all kinda torqued when the answers they get aren't what they want to hear.

Good luck with your speakers, hope you:
    a) Like 'em.
    b) get a fair price for 'em
    c) feel compelled to return them, cuz you don't appreciate good sound.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I view his original post as just the typical generic query that could have come from anybody on this forum....yet, in classic Polk forum fashion, run off the new member.

I know a few respondents to be more than speaker educated, and not stuck in an endless loop of Polk Audio speakers.

At least he took the time to connect those speakers and offer a comment about how well they perform...I guess I should keep my comments about vintage speakers to myself, lest I get run off by the local denizens.

Here's some useful information about Magnepan speakers... MUG. If you have left already, good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hey,,thats a very good link,impressive--:D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • George Grand
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm missing him already Doro. "I'm not much of a fan of Polk's work in speaker design" speaks real loud here.

Yeah, I'm the ONE guy who comes here to run off people. I'm the SNOB.

Give me a break Mark. You think there's a lot of value there, he's all yours babe.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Does his original comment say anything like that? Nope.

Why do you think he may have come back on the offensive?

Give ME a break George. What have I done for him out of the ordinary? Dropped a link for him to find out his own information?
  • George Grand
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Well Mark, from three little words, he has deduced that I am the single person on this forum who pretty much decides who stays and goes. That I am the audio snob with a mega-system in every room. Could he be MORE mistaken?
    Maybe if he does show up again, you could explain that POLKOLOGIST is not my idea of who I am, and nothing more than a term assigned to me because of how many posts I have. Maybe you could explain to him that I probably know a lot less about POLK speakers than 95% of the Polkologists onboard. Maybe you can see that if those three little words set off a response like that, what is going to happen when something really confrontational comes his way? You know, maybe three little words like "You are wrong". Show him where to find the Maggie users forum. Embrace him if you like. Do any number of things. But don't dump all this in MY lap, when I'm guilty of nothing more than three little words that you just may have uttered yourself in some other fashion, in the attempt to do the same thing I was trying to do. Okay?

I'm quite finished with this, and him.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I think it reads how it reads, so whatever. I'm unaffected in the end....and I'm sure you are as well.

EDIT: Sorry GG, I dropped the Goslings comment for some grammar reason.
  • George Grand
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I think it reads how it reads also, but falls far short of the magic Mr. Hyde potion. Guess I was wrong, he Mr. Hyde'd at the drop of a hat, and Gosling's it is.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    :D OK.

Goslings, at least we can agree on that, cheers George.
  • George Grand
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Bad sentence. We agree on a lot more than Gosling's, and you know it. We just don't seem to agree on this.

Tomorrow is another day.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    This is an internet forum and proper English, established a back seat, along time ago.

Bring it.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I still don't see what the hullabaloo was out in the first place. I agree, the original post read like someone just looking to put a value on a speaker to flip on ebay.

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited March 2006
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    I still don't see what the hullabaloo was out in the first place. I agree, the original post read like someone just looking to put a value on a speaker to flip on ebay.

BDT
    Absolutely!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Isn't it funny how everything eventually bites you in the ****?

I've been ready for dialogue via dorokusai@comcast.net, but I don't recall any side conversation ...feel free to open up offline or online.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited March 2006
    Options
    That's why older guys don't have an **** any longer. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Five welcomes for a new member's first post about a non-house speaker is a record. Just a hair short of rolling out the red carpet.

What I'd like to know is how "I smell ebay" can call for a response like someone just flipped you the bird?

For the record, I'm not sucking up to anyone here. The truth is I almost put four of the veterans posting in this thread on ignore shortly after I joined. I've since learned to tolerate just about everyone and have learned a thing or two as a result.

Mark, are you sure your mailbox has enough space? Some large logs have been known to flow through these parts. :D
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2006
    Options
    P65 - I get what you're saying.

I love the veterans, and it's never gonna change, as they are most likely family....but I don't always agree with them either. If that turns me into an ****, well that's just the way it goes. I'll disagree when I feel like it.

I know I'm an ****, when someone clues me in to something new, I'll buy 'em a drink or a root beer.

I'm not here to stroke, I'm here to help...and perhaps ruin lives. I get out of order from time to time, but my folks usually check me.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I still want to hump your leg.

If my original post was miscontrued, I apologize, I meant no ill.....

BDT