Oblivion

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited April 2006 in Video Games
If you guys haven't heard about this game, it's about time you did. It's the successor to arguably the best RPG ever, Morrowind. It's coming out in a little over a week so if you have a few months, or years, of your life to waste, I highly suggest picking this one up:

http://elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_overview.htm
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2006
    This one will drive my next PC or XB360 purchase...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Mazeroth
    edited March 2006
    It sure will. It's the reason I upgraded my computer recently. I had an Athlon 2800+ with a GeForce 6600GT. Now I have an AMD Opteron 165 (dual core) overclocked to 2.4ghz per core and a 7800GT video card. I can't wait for it to come out :)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2006
    Looks pretty sweet. Will it be a game that you can play in small chunks of time for a few months? Those MMORPGs are terribly addicting, so I hope this isn't like that.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2006
    I will be renting it at least. I foudn Morrowind to not be my cup of tea, but I didn't really try it for too long. I haven't played a good RPG in a long time.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2006
    If it is at all like morrowind, it takes about 10-20 hrs of gameplay to get addicted, then you're hosed...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    I downloaded the trailer for it on XBox live and the game looks absolutely spectacular. I love when games have fantastic graphics, but they key is to also have the playability. If I can get both from a game I know I will love it. I'll wait to hear a few reviews before buying it.
  • Mazeroth
    edited March 2006
    It scored a 93% from the UK PC Gamer and a 9.5 from another source :)
  • bankshot
    bankshot Posts: 76
    edited March 2006
    Believe the hype. No big gamming sites have put there reviews up yet, but some of the reviewers have been saying on the forums that this game is incredible.

Dont worry about which version to get, I heard the 360 and PC versions are identical.
    Outlaw M200s
    Outlaw ICBM
    Yamaha reciver
    Panasonic: AE900U
    POLK LSi 15s
    POLK LSi 9s
    POLK LSi C
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    High Definition will make it better than PC. :D
  • Mazeroth
    edited March 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    High Definition will make it better than PC. :D

It will play at 1280x720 on the 360, which is going to look incredible, but if you have a fairly high-end PC by all means get it for that. The mods people make for it are going to be unbelievable, so that's a HUGE reason to get it for the PC. Also, gaming on the PC will exceed the 360's graphics, as long as you have the horsepower, which I do :)
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited March 2006
    Who's getting this today? I'm awaiting delivery of my projector and once it arrives, off to BB I go.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    I am getting it today, I watched like 25 videos of it yesterday. No way I can pass it up now.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Picked up my collectors edition a little while ago. I'm pretty stoked for this one! Weird thing, I went to Best Buy first and they said the XBox 360 stuff doesn't come in until Wednesday -- I was like "WTF?". So I went to a GameStop and they had a ton of them.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2006
    Please keep us posted about the game... I still have to upgrade my graphics card on my PC, but if it's a true RPG, i'm totally in!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Game is absolutely stunning.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2006
    Okay when I was a PS2 fanboy I would hear about how great the games looked on the original XBOX. Yet the gameplay sucked. There were no games for the XBox that validated a purchase of one...until PGR2 and Rainbox Six 3.

Now fast forward to today. We had the Xbox 360 release. And while PGR3 looked great and played fantastic, and PDZ was refreshing, did this really mean a sure buy of the 360? Not until the last two weeks did we actually see what the system is truely capable of. GRAW, looked and played fantastic, and the realism was top notch. Ubisoft did afantastic job.

Now comes O:ES. This game is so down right stunning my jaw hit the floor. It makes every other game out there look childish. The detail, the sun, moon, stars, trees, gravel, buildings, dungeons, weapons, the face maker, the charecter models, clothing, walking....ugh the list goes on. It is scary that a system like the 360 can do something like this. Amazed,and thrilled. AND GUESS WHAT!! The game play is top notch. I had never played Morrow Wind, so I cannot compare, but it is enthralling and just special to be a part of. Elder Scrolls WILL win game of the year, there is no doubt about it. GRAW will win shooter of the year. PGR3 will win driving game of the year.

The only flaw I have seen in the game are actally two. There are times of slow down when you a battling multiple enemies, and when running in third person mode jump around, it looks very cheesy. Thats it folks, cheesy looking jumps, and some choppiness from time to time.

7 hours people, I plopped this in the 360 and played 7 hours straight.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • avelanchefan
    edited March 2006
    Oh and Demi.....I wlked into BB and they had their shipment in by 11 am. Still in the boxes, but I was able to snag one as they were putting their display out.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Oh and Demi.....I wlked into BB and they had their shipment in by 11 am. Still in the boxes, but I was able to snag one as they were putting their display out.

It was probably just another yellow shirt dumbass that didn't know what he was talking about. :mad: I don't like Best Buy much, but it's the closest place to my office.

Yeah, I haven't had enough time to play it. I only got a good 3 hours of gameplay in, and I am already thinking about starting over. I am not a fan of the AutoSave feature. This is because I was trying some stuff out and ended up getting arrested like 3 or 4 times, and now the thiefs guild is trying to recruit me! :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be a big deal, but the autosave wrote over my last saved game. :(:(

Oh well, plus I am going with a full on Mage, and also honing in on my Alchemy skills. Those are the 2 hardest things to do in any RPG.

I'll have plenty of time to mess with it this weekend.
  • avelanchefan
    edited March 2006
    Well after I do a thing or two, I just hit pause and save it myself.Kill an ORc Save, pick a lock save. Just easier that way. PLayed til 2 am, I joined the fighters guild. Going to start doing some quests with them.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    I am getting Oblivion next from Gamefly. Should be here by the weekend. You guys had better be right about it being awesome.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Well, if you don't like RPGs it won't be.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    I like good RPGs. Emphasis on the good part.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2006
    How's it compare to SW:KOTOR (The first one)?

That was the best RPG i've ever played... hands down.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    I don't like Star Wars games, so I have no idea.

I restarted my character last night, and went the route of a thief. :p I still have my mage, but that stupid autosave feature got me in the begining, now I save all the time.

Anyhow, I murdered a few people :eek: in game and now I am part of the Dark Brotherhood. The quests for them are awesome. I guess you can do all of the quest lines in each guild. The game is VERY slow at the start (IMO), but the fun really picks up after that. You have to come to the realization that you need to travel and get out of the city. Doing quests leads to more quests.

I can see how some people really wouldn't like this game. It's long, and involved, but once you start outfitting your character and getting new skills it's a blast to play. I've got this crazy dagger from the Dark Brotherhood, as well as a full uniform. Now I can pick-pocket, steal, and assasinate without being noticed. The Dark Brotherhood is basically like a hitman service, your quests are contracts to kill people.

***SPOILER***

My third quest for them was to go back through the sewers (BONUS GOLD FOR NOT BEING SEEN) and killing the prisoner that was mocking you in the cell across from you in the begining of the game.

I'll be putting in some major hours this weekend. :D
  • avelanchefan
    edited March 2006
    Yeah I am a I am a swordspell/monk I believe. So I can do a little of everything.

So Demi...what has been your hardest quest. There have been two for me.

1) When you hit the first little inn after you get outside. (basically swim across to the island, kill the two weak people and then take the road to the left) Any ways the bar-keep tells you about some mad women living in the caves above. That **** was tough to kill. I had to level up a few times then go back and do her after trying nearly 50 times on level 1.

2) Town of Cheydinhol...woman there lost her husband who was a painter, locked himself in a room everyday to paint, one day he never comes out, she goes in and he is gone. That mission sucked donkey dee too. I found where he was at immediatly, but after that it was trial and error again. Very tough quest that in all reality was easy, just took a while to catch on.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Going back into the prison was a little rough, but this new quest I got before I went to sleep last night sounds like a real tough one.

You have a guy who contacted the Dark Brotherhood to place a contract on his own head, but it's tricky. He doesn't want to die, and people are looking to kill him anyhow. I need to get there and "kill" him while the other assasin is there, and make the assasin think he is dead. The blade I "kill" him with his coated with a poison that simulates death. It can only be used once.

The other thing is that the Dark Brotherhood must take a life in every one of his contracts, so the man had to sacrafice his mother to save his own pathetic life. :eek:

I wasn't sure if I wanted to join this guild, it's totally evil.

I'm a member of The Blade as well, up in the mountains.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    I now RUN the Dark Brotherhood. Muahahahaha! :D
  • avelanchefan
    edited March 2006
    lol too funny demi
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2006
    you guys done playing single-player GRAW already?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    I already beat it on Normal and Hard mode. Also apparently halfway done with Oblivion, too.