ELP back in the rig

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Man, I had forgotten how REALLY GREAT this little pre sounds. I've been using it in an all tube rig ever since I got the MLP, but haven't ever used it with the Psound, Sheng Ya, and SRS 2s before. The MLP does a few things better than the ELP, but one thing the ELP does better, imo, is centering the vocals. The MLP. always seemed to be JUST a tad off to the left, but the ELP is dead center. I'll definitely be looking at getting another MLP, Anthem, or Cary tubed pre when I get back on my feet, but until then, the ELP does an outstanding job and is one piece of gear that'll never leave my house.

There's still something about the 6DJ8 variants I like better than the 12AX7/12AT7/12AU7 tubes. Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but the 6DJ8/6922/7308s just seem to be more musical. I know that I've not had the tube experience that some of you have, but I have had the chance to listen to a few different pres that utilize one or the other tube types and the 6DJ8s just do it better FOR ME. It's not a huge advantage by no means, just noticeable ENOUGH for me to make this decision.

There are so many tubed pres available now, it's mind-boggling. I can't wait to get back to where I can start playing again, so I can try out some of the other brands, like Manley, ASL, Jolida, BAT, etc, etc. I just know that, SO FAR, the preamp has been the link in the chain that has made the most noticeable changes(speakers not included). Maybe I would have said my source changes, but I had a decent source(modded AMC CD8b) before I got the Sheng Ya. The Sheng Ya was a nice improvement, just not as dramatic as the pres have made in MY rig.

Man it sucks not being able to play around. I miss it and am having audio withdrawals.
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    Options
    You'll get back into the game.......meanwhile, what you have is still VERY good.

Good luck!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    You'll get back into the game.......meanwhile, what you have is still VERY good.
    Ditto on both counts.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2006
    Options
    You must have extra gear or speakers to play around with for now.

About the vocals being a little to the left on your MLP... Have you tried swapping tubes? Maybe the set you're using on the left have a much stronger emission.

You're right about the 6DJ8/6922 being very musical. To my ears, they're 'faster' sounding than the 12*7 series. Much more neutral with better HF extension too. I should be getting my Golden Tube Audio pre back soon from repairs. I love that pre so much. Very transparent and open using a single 6DJ8/6922.

Maurice
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2006
    Options
    you " da man":D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ND13
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Fixed it, I think
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    It didn't matter which quad(3 different) or where I put each tube. Tried all the different ways. It wasn't but maybe 8-10 inches offset. Nothing major. I actually remember my rig doing the same thing with HTRookie's Dared.

Really? :)
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35125

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • organ
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Now that's strange. It looks like it was room acoustics with HTrookie but I don't understand why the MLP would be doing this. We know it's not room acoustics with yours because you get perfect balance with the ELP.

Did you contact Gary about this? Maybe there's a way to measure the voltage on the MLP's rca outs using pink noise and compare the voltage reading for the left and right channels.

Maurice
  • ND13
    edited March 2006
    Options
    After thinking about it more, I don't think it's the MLP. I'm going to check a couple of other things and I'll get back if I can find the culprit.
  • organ
    edited March 2006
    Options
    That's cool. Hope it's not the MLP. Hope you find the culprit soon.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    It didn't matter which quad(3 different) or where I put each tube. Tried all the different ways. It wasn't but maybe 8-10 inches offset. Nothing major. I actually remember my rig doing the same thing with HTRookie's Dared.

You noticed the issue earlier, but didn't address it until now?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    You're right about the 6DJ8/6922 being very musical. To my ears, they're 'faster' sounding than the 12*7 series. Much more neutral with better HF extension too.

It's going out SOON broham. And Im sending you SICK NOS 6DJ8's to roll. You won't ever buy another 6DJ8 again, you will have officially rolled them all.

I agree on the 6DJ8, it's my favorite line amp tube. I also like tha 12AU7, very low gain - but in the right setup I feel like I hear more of the amp, if that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited March 2006
    Options
    It was the amp. I guess during one of my IC swap outs, I must have bumped the gain knobs a TAD and knocked them out of adjustment.:o :confused: I guess I could blame it on the cat, huh???:D

The vocals aren't as left as they were, but they are just off a bit again, just slightly. Hell, it could be just the way the damn songs were recorded for all I know. Screw it, tommorrow, I'm going to try out the AMC 2100 amp in the PSound's place and see if anything changes in that regard.

I've been listening at low levels and have gotten up really close to each speaker and I think that I might have a bad tweeter, in my right side. I have some spares. so I'm gonna swap out the one that sounds...not quite right...and see if that will equalize everything out.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Well, Noel, I was going to say I dont have that problem with my MLP but see you discovered you problem.

Dont touch those controls when your drunk!!!

I am going to move my MLP to the Woodshed this weekend and the ELP to the Reel Time Rig, I want to hear the MLP with the Woodshed gear for a while. But man I am jonesin for a higher end BAT, just no dough.

Anyway, glad to hear your in business and I like the others really enjoy the 6dj8, of course the tele-smooth plates I got from the Russ Man are pretty effin cool with great sound.

RT1
  • ND13
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Doh!!:o
  • ND13
    edited March 2006
    Options
    of course the tele-smooth plates I got from the Russ Man are pretty effin cool with great sound.

RT1

I had a quad of those for mine and I have another pair in my Wave 20s. While I like them, I actually enjoyed the sound of the Raytheon Black Plates with halo getters, better. They were as close to the 6DJ8 sound that I love so much.

I'm right there with ya on wanting to tryout some BAT gear, among others. I think it's VTL(?) that has another tubed pre that I read about, that sounded very interesting.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    COOL!!!! Sounds like someone might be due for something special from Kentucky;)

Don't send me any more of that Knob Bourbon man, its good goin' down, but hell the next morning. ;)

I was talking to Maurice (organ), I'm sending his GTA preamp back to him, fixed, with some tubes I promised him a long time ago.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited March 2006
    Options
    My bad. Misread. Oopsy.
  • organ
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Russ,
    Sheeeat! I'm so juiced. The ASL is great with the Tele and stuff but it doesn't have the SQ and charm of the GTA.

Looks like I'll be busy tube rolling for a looooong time:cool:

Please email me and let me know how much the repair, shipping, etc is after you send it out.

Noel,
    That's an interesting point. I also noticed that on some albums, the vocals are slightly to one side sometimes. I have a few albums like this but the rest are centered.

Maurice
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Dang, when I read the heading to this thread I thought it was going to be about Emerson, Lake, and Palmer... :D Oh well
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Not uncommon at all with vinyl to have one channel louder than the other, dependent upon the stylus, arm and so on, that is why they had the channel balance controls on all the pre's, they actually were a useful and necessary control back in the OLD DAYS!!!!:D Of course this caused all sorts of uneven wear, so we would record our albums to tape and play the hell out of them.

RT1
  • scottyf
    scottyf Posts: 129
    edited March 2006
    Options
    One thing I've found to be true is that many volume controls (at least in stereo) mistrack at low levels, then get right once the volume is up. If you are listening at low levels, perhaps this is your problem (aside from bumping the controls out of wack....)

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,882
    edited March 2006
    Options
    has anyone compared the original elp with the new elp w/outboard transformer ?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2006
    Options
    IF I do another pre, it'll be tube.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • carvin77
    carvin77 Posts: 10
    edited April 2006
    Options
    marvda1 wrote:
    has anyone compared the original elp with the new elp w/outboard transformer ?

:confused: not yet :D