I was pulled over today!

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2006
    Next time you tell them that you are not stepping out of the vehicle unless you are under arrest, and that they may not search the vehicle unless they have a warrant signed by a judge. And then tell them to have a nice day and drive away.

Not a very smart thing to do when they run your license and all that stuff comes up that was on mine. Granted it was not me that got the citations, failure to pay, or the failure to appear in court, but I will not push the issue. Especially when my license was also suspended for this reason. They were actaully pretty cool considering the situation. At first the one officer I though was going to be difficult with me, since he mintioned my front window being tinted. They are only tinted at 50%, so they are pretty light. I did not feel that they were disrespectful at any time. They could have just said we do not believe you, have given me some citations, as well as have my car towed. I was thankful they did not.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    On a side note. I have been lucky to have known some very good police officers. I have alot of respect for them, the work that they do, and know that it's not always an easy job. I have also known some that were not worthy of having that responsibility. I do not play around when it comes to the police.

My sister actually has some friends in the police department here in San Diego. They sometimes come by and say hi when she is here. They patrol the area that my house is in.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    Not a very smart thing to do when they run your license and all that stuff comes up that was on mine. Granted it was not me that got the citations, failure to pay, or the failure to appear in court, but I will not push the issue. Especially when my license was also suspended for this reason. They were actaully pretty cool considering the situation. At first the one officer I though was going to be difficult with me, since he mintioned my front window being tinted. They are only tinted at 50%, so they are pretty light. I did not feel that they were disrespectful at any time. They could have just said we do not believe you, have given me some citations, as well as have my car towed. I was thankful they did not.
    i'm fairly confident that this is typical pbd political humor...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    I thought the same thing ;), but still..........

He actually makes me laugh out loud quite a bit :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • kingsqueak
    kingsqueak Posts: 116
    edited March 2006
    At first the one officer I though was going to be difficult with me, since he mintioned my front window being tinted. They are only tinted at 50%, so they are pretty light.

If you couldn't already figure this out, a cop hates tint not because of the law against it but because of the reason for the law. Tint tells a cop that you are trying to hide behind it. Either hide activities or people. I hated walking up on cars with tint.

A cop is trying to figure out if someone's smoking crack behind that tint or pointing a shotgun at him.

Best tip is to drop all the windows in the car if you run tint and get pulled over, turn on your interior lights as well, particularly if it's getting dark out. You won't get much hassle at all if you do that unless the guy has a real hard-on.

The perfect stop for me would be to walk up, see both driver's side windows open if tinted, interior light on and the driver's wallet with all his paperwork in it in the driver's hands on the steering wheel. The cop can plainly see what is going on and if he needs your paperwork you aren't diving accross the car to go dig for it.
    Harman Kardon AVR-435 Receiver
    Polk RTi6 (L/R) CSi3 (Center) RM3000 (SL/SR)
    SVS 25-31 PCi (Sub)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    kingsqueak wrote:
    Best tip is to drop all the windows in the car if you run tint and get pulled over, turn on your interior lights as well, particularly if it's getting dark out. You won't get much hassle at all if you do that unless the guy has a real hard-on.
    Now that makes sense. Never would've thought about it, though.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2006
    kingsqueak wrote:
    Tint tells a cop that you are trying to hide behind it. Either hide activities or people. .
    thats why cops are cops...because theyre stupid. I get tint to hide my possessions from possible intruders. Yay for putting everyone with tint in one big group.

Ive had the pleasuse of getting pulled over 5 times. I always roll my windows down and put my hands on the steering wheel(now I do). The second time I got pulled over I had a gun pointing at my head for having reached into my glove box...before the cop even got out of the car. By the time he had reached the car I had both my insurance and drivers license in my hand. I hadnt been paying attention to the officer, and once I look out my window I'm staring down the barrel of a police issued side arm. I about **** my pants. The reason I got pulled over was for going 72 in a 65. There were no warrants out for me, no bad guys with a truck that looked like mine, but he felt it necessary to draw his gun on me. I took him to court and got my ticket revoked and he got a point on some kind of point system because he had no reason to draw his gun and didnt fill out the paper work properly for why he drew his gun.

Out of those 5 experiences, Ive had 2 good ones. Not because I didnt get a ticket, because I did, but just because some cops are really disrepectful. Theyre not above the law, they only enforce it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    thats why cops are cops...because theyre stupid.

Wow. I'm sure a guy putting his life on the line to protect your **** appreciates the sentiment. They're all not perfect, but I think the generalization that all cops are stupid might be a little worse than the fact that all jerkoffs with too much tint on their windows are trying to hide from teh cops. If I had to walk up to a car with fear of a getting shot in the gut from behind a tinted window I might be a little cautious myself.

Grow up.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • kingsqueak
    edited March 2006
    I posted what I posted so that people like exalted could see how a cop is thinking and figured it would be pretty obvious why that is....goes to show you that some people just can't see.

I dislike many cops myself, I've had my share of trouble in the past. I quit working in the field because I didn't agree with too many things about the work to even get started listing. But I did learn a giant chunk about human nature and have an utterly different understanding of what a cop has to go through from day to day.

Most people are good by nature, however you truly can't trust anyone as a cop. It's just not safe. Best you can do is control your responses and hope that you are the 1% that can go home and leave the job behind at the end of the shift.

One short example. I run accross a guy, really pretty loaded and walking down a dark road. I try to do the guy a favor and get him out of the road and on his way so he doesn't get run over. Guy was clean cut looking, avg Joe, nothing too odd about him. Something wasn't right, just my instincts telling me he was 'wrong'. I still go on about getting him out of the road and moving, no big deal. I turned my head for a split second to get to my radio mic and took a freaking bowie knife diagonally accross my back.

Lucky for me I had on a really heavy winter parka so it never got through. This was the second coat that was slashed open, the first was a drunk with a boxcutter he had concealed during a fight.

The bowie knife guy had an out of state traffic warrant...that was all. I wasn't even intending on checking the guy out, it was all to do him a favor and keep him from being run over.

This is what the job is, day in day out, you see mostly the worst side of people. It's a side that the public doesn't even realize exists and can never truly appreciate unless they have worked in emergency services. The public couch quarterbacks through legislation and makes the job even more impossible for the few guys that truly intend on doing it right. It's a no win and I'm amazed that any decent people stay in the field honestly.

All I'm telling is the truth from experience and basically I've done what I could to help people from getting unnecessary flack on a stop. Dealing with people like exalted just ruins it for everyone else, but that's what a cop is stuck with. All you can do is limit how much you provoke the cop if you run into one.
    SVS 25-31 PCi (Sub)
  • Kirk
    Kirk Posts: 16
    edited March 2006
    Amen Kings.... Here in NYC if I roll up on you during a car stop and you have dark tinted windows I don't even get out of the car untill the driver rolls down all the windows, turns on the interior light, turns off the engine and puts the keys on the roof and then sticks both his/her hands out the drivers window.. I've had a friends killed in the line of duty when he was walking up to talk to the driver of an SUV when he was shot in the head. Tinted windows serve no function other than as a tool that you can use to convince your girlfriend that, "Don't worry honey, no one can see in the car the windows are tinted, just take off your clothes." And Blackmax, you did everything right.. They just would have taken you in, then inventoried your vehicle for safe keeping anyway and found anything that you were hiding.... Don't give up on the DMV either, keep on them, remember they are lazy and your letter could get lost. Did you send it registered return receipt? If not, sent it again that way.. KIRK
  • daniel_paul_
    daniel_paul_ Posts: 189
    edited March 2006
    I do the window down, lights on thing. The last time I got pulled over the cop was looking for an excuse to let me go. So I said "sure I know so-n-so. Real stand up guy." Off I went.

I am cool with city cops for the most part. It the suburban pansies that have nothing better to do then bother people.
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited March 2006
    kingsqueak wrote:
    The perfect stop for me would be to walk up, see both driver's side windows open if tinted, interior light on and the driver's wallet with all his paperwork in it in the driver's hands on the steering wheel. The cop can plainly see what is going on and if he needs your paperwork you aren't diving accross the car to go dig for it.

see i have been told the opposite. if you are messing around with getting things out of the glovebox, opening windows, turning off lights, etc. that the officer would be more suspicious since he/she has no idea what you are doing. i dont have tinted windows and a pretty benign looking car and not doing anything until told to has always served me well. do you think that is a better way of going about it?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2006
    Gotta agree. I always go with the sit quietly with hands in full view and window down unti the cop gets there and asks for the license and whatnot, just so I'm not fiddling around.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • kingsqueak
    edited March 2006
    That works too, just have your info easily available and keep your hands in the clear. Even without tint, at night, put your dome light on. Nobody I've ever met on the job would think much of that except that you are showing them that you don't have anything to hide or that you have a car full of people.

If the guy pulls you over by the numbers, you will have time to get things in order before he gets out of the car. If the guy is next to your window before you can get the car in park, one of two things is happening.

The guy is a completely reckless moron with no concern for his own safety....meaning he never waited to get the results back on your plate.

Or the guy ran your plate before he decided to pull you over....which can be a bit shady as they aren't supposed to run the plate unless you did something wrong (though since the advent of mobile terminals, everybody does this)....and if they see you have a previous record, they could then decide you have done something wrong and pull you over anyway (this happens _constantly_ particularly in the suburban revenuer mode of policing).
    SVS 25-31 PCi (Sub)
  • 1996blackmax
    edited March 2006
    kingsqueak wrote:
    If you couldn't already figure this out, a cop hates tint not because of the law against it but because of the reason for the law. Tint tells a cop that you are trying to hide behind it. Either hide activities or people.

My tint is actually pretty light up front, some people do not even know that my fronts are tinted. I have tint due to the sun, I live in Southern California. Nothing to hide here.

I do have common sense and my windows were down when I was pulled over.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Wow. I'm sure a guy putting his life on the line to protect your **** appreciates the sentiment. They're all not perfect, but I think the generalization that all cops are stupid might be a little worse than the fact that all jerkoffs with too much tint on their windows are trying to hide from teh cops. If I had to walk up to a car with fear of a getting shot in the gut from behind a tinted window I might be a little cautious myself.

Grow up.
    this was exactly what i was expecting to hear back. Thanks for proving my point, dont label the majority because of a minority.

I dont really think all cops are stupid. in all honesty, ive never met one that i would consider stupid, i was just trying to prove a point. But it has been, in my experience, that more than half of cops abuse their power and are disrespectful. People see it everyday. Is it legal for a police car to be speeding if they dont have their lights on? Pretty sure it isnt. I see it all the time.

The reason people dislike police officers so much is because they are never treated with respect initially. Just because you were going 72 in a 65 does not mean youre a convicted felon.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    Just because you were going 72 in a 65 does not mean youre a convicted felon.
    -Cody
    and most cops don't treat you as one, unless you're being disrespectful towards them... yeah, they can get away with speeding cause they're a cop, and yeah, it's way unfair, but in the grand scheme of things, who gives a rat's ****? i personally would not want to trade places with them and have to deal with some of the stuff they have to handle...

and 'respect is a two-way street', but someone's gotta give it first, and it's probably not gonna be him...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2006
    thats why cops are cops...because theyre stupid. I get tint to hide my possessions from possible intruders. Yay for putting everyone with tint in one big group.

What a moronic statement.....but wait! Maybe I am stupid because I put my life on the line protecting people like you.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited March 2006
    "Don't worry honey, no one can see in the car the windows are tinted, just take off your clothes."

Whats wrong with that?!

/makes mental note: tint vehicle ASAP
  • Silverhawk
    Silverhawk Posts: 2
    edited March 2006
    In response to Powered by Dodge on not getting out of the car and driving away.. I think most of the ADULTS on this forum would agree this would not be the correct thing to do. It is unfortunate that this type of behavior occurs. Stolen identity is a big money maker these days and causes alot of headaches for the honest people who are the victims. Why would you want to bring more charges on youself like interference with the duties of a police officer and or attempting to elude when you have nothing to hide. Instead of having to bond out of jail and appear in court while spending alot of money to boot. He was released without recieving a ticket for the original traffic stop, having to bond out on charges that belong to another person. The police could have arrested him on these charges anyway and let him prove in court that he was not the perp. Instead he got information on how to clear his name and a "good day" from the officer. I hope ya get it worked out...
  • audiobliss
    edited March 2006
    LOL...come on man...PBD wasn't serious...:p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Silverhawk
    Silverhawk Posts: 2
    edited March 2006
    If his post had smilie faces, LOL, or just kidding somewhere on his post It would appear to be a joke. I was just going on a comment that had no indications of being funny. If he truly ment it as a joke I would retract my statment and direct it more toward the poeple who have a lack of common sense.
  • daniel_paul_
    daniel_paul_ Posts: 189
    edited March 2006
    Lets not forget that you were doing something wrong to get pulled over in the first place. The game becomes "how to get out without paying any money." Skrew right and wrong. I win if I get off the hook. That is how I see the game. If the book starts to fly that when you say "up your" because you already lost and all that is left is potential for a funny bar story. And most tough talkers cry in front of the judge when they are faced with a huge ticket. "Oh, I didn't do that...But...But...come on"
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2006
    I guess I jumped to my post before I knew that you were not serious.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2006
    I agree... the tint "hardon" has been due to an inability to see inside the car.

Do you want to walk toward a car possibly full of stoned kids with daddy's revolver? I know I don't.

I used to do limo black because I thought it was cool... never got hassled, but I realized it's an issue... now I do 60 on the back, 30 on the fronts, no visor. The cadillac is 60 all the way around, but it's big enough inside that light escapes easily.

If you're limo-blacking it, then you're asking for trouble. I don't see 50 as an issue on the sides... and chances are neither did the cop - he probably got ticked over not being able to see in your rear window.

far as my previous comment -- i actually meant it. i won't step out of a car for a cop unless i actually did something wrong and i'm trying to be polite ot get out of trouble.

unless you were 20 over the speed limit or did something else horrid... stay in your car. if they really want to search your vehicle and are bugging you to get out - tell them you will follow them to their precinct house where you will only submit to a search if your public defender tells you that the police have proven probably cause. worst case scenario you get stuck at the precinct for a while ... but its a lot better than planted evidence.

and no i don't think that cops are like that...

the 1% of police that pull **** give the 99% of honest ones a terrible name.

but here's the thing... they have guns, you don't -- and if it comes down to going to court and the only two people there were you and the cop (at the supposed crimescene) - then who is the jury going to believe... you or a cop?

hence, if you drive to the precinct they can't get you for evading, and when the vehicle is searched your public defender can demand it be video taped.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2006
    And most tough talkers cry in front of the judge when they are faced with a huge ticket. "Oh, I didn't do that...But...But...come on"

couple years ago i got a ticket for going something near 70 in a 55.

the trooper was up on an overpass gunning the highway below.

when i was pulled over, they gave me a ticket without even giving me a chance to speak.

i called the trooper station that night, talked to a lieutenant who told me what brand and model laser/radar guns were being used.

i then googled the company, called them, and was able to download their user manual from their ftp.

the manual stated that the gun should only be used on flat terrain (no hills, not dips), and that the user should hold the gun at an angle no more than 5 degrees from horizontal in order to ensure accuracy.

the manual also stated the maximum range of the gun.

combining the 5 degree angle with maximum range, i was able to determine that the trooper gunning was using it improperly

the overpass was roughly 30 feet off the road's surface (as my photo of the little truck driver clearanace sign showed).

at 30 feet off the ground, max range yields the angle closest to horizontal or 0 degrees... it was something way off like 20 degrees. that's 15 degrees beyond the accurate range of the gun.

i showed all this data to the prosecutor when i went to my court date -- he didn't want to let me talk and said, "you can have 150 dollar ticket and school, or a 300 dollar ticket and no school" -- i said, "but i have proof the guns were used improperly" -- i explained it to him, and halfway through it he told me "shut the hell up, i dont even know what you're saying, deal or no deal?" -- to which i responded, "what community college did you get your law degree from?" said i'd take the deal...

went to the judge 4 hours of standing in line later.

judge says, "name?" -- "ticket #?" --- i tell him...

he says. "ok, and u have plead out -- do you confirm this?"

i said, "yes, but can i make a statement for the record?"

he's like "sure"

so i explained the entire thing, in detail, my findings, showed him the user manual with highlighted sections and the clearane photo, along with my handwritten notes of the name of the trooper who was gunning off the bridge as given to me by the lieutenant.

the judge listened, and then said, "did you tell the prosecutor this?"

i said, "yes, but he said to shut up because he didn't understand any of it"

the judge said, "*mumble* and we pay these people *mumble* ... well kid, how fast were you actually going?"

so i told him, "i refuse to answer that question on the grounds that the answer may incriminate me".

he broke out laughing like a son of a ****.

finally he goes, "tell you what, take a 3 hour driver education class, and we'll call it even, the class will cost you 20 dollars and you'll save money on your insurance too --- i'll dismiss the case for lack of evidence, ok?"

i'm like "fine by me".

and that was the end of it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    edited March 2006
    ROFL!! Man, that's a great story. You went to great lengths to prove that, but that's great. I would never have thought about the gun being used improperly.

That story belongs in the joke thread...made me laugh just as much as any of the jokes!
    PBD wrote:
    so i told him, "i refuse to answer that question on the grounds that the answer may incriminate me".

That's awesome!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    hey, it's the fifth amendment, totally legal :p

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Here is my opinion on cops:

Cops often get a bad rap because when they pull somebody over theyre rude. So what?! Cops arent customer service representatives, theyre law enforcement. Being polite shouldnt be a job requirement but unfortunately in these super PC times, it has become one.

Ive wanted to be a cop since I was a kid but because of affirmative action and the good old boy system I could never get my foot in the door which is BS. However, I no longer want to be in law enforcement because of what the sensitivity crowd has turned the police department into. "Now while youre out there in a shootout with a vicious gang of drug dealers, make sure youre polite!" Gimme a break!

Now as for my "I hate state troopers" comment, I stand by that. State troopers dont have any crime to deal with, thats handled by the city and county boys, so all they do is sit on the side of the road and nail people for speeding. That is perfectly fine because theyre simply enforcing the law. My problem is they take no circumstances under consideration. I got a ticket 2 years ago doing 66 in a 55! I was in the slow lane and keeping up with the flow of traffic. Same with the ticket I got 2 weeks ago, slow lane, flow of traffic. Now I have a CDL and drive for a living and a ticket is a HUGE problem for me (nevermind the $200 fine!) and I dont consider it unreasonable for some trooper to take into consideration that I wasnt driving wreckless or even any faster than the rest of traffic and cut me some slack, either in a written warning or at least cutting the speed down.

Also, troopers live to mess with truckers. You havent lived til youre minding your own business driving down the road and get pulled over for no reason (which is perfectly leagal for an 18 wheeler) and held up on the side of the road for UP TO AN HOUR while Barney goes over everything with a fine tooth comb, finds nothing and lets you go ONLY TO HAVE TO GO THRU THE SAME F***ING THING IN THE NEXT STATE! And dont give me this safety crap. These trucks are obsessively maintained because its unbelievably expensive for a truck to break down on the side of the road not to mention the possibility of law suits.

I cant count the hours Ive lost on the side of the road while John Q Law is crawling unde my truck from bumper to bumper yet I have NEVER been cited for a violation! And dont even get me started on the pieces of human debris that occupy these weigh stations! These morons had spitwads thrown at them and been shoved into lockers all thru high school and for the first time ever, have a little authority and by Gawd, theyre gonna get some payback!

So for the cops out there protecting my **** by going toe to toe with the worst in society, I thank you and salute you and think its stupid that you can face disciplinary action for being rude to somebody!

For the cops that have nothing to do but sit on the side of the road for hours on end costing people doing 66 in a 55 hundreds of dollars and endangering their livelyhood, or keeping me on the side of the road for 45 minutes while you calculate my log entries, I say blow me!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited March 2006
    Since when is going the flow of traffic against the law? Here in NJ when you take the written exam for your license there is a question about this very topic.

Something along the lines of:
    If the speed limit is 55 and the flow of traffic is 60
    What speed should you travel?
    the answer: 60