Nother' Engine Question... *sigh*

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Yep, Im back - curiosity gets me!

Whats...this...
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    The Flux Capacitor.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    A big plastic thing that looks to suck in air is a capactior?

*scratches noggin*
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2006
    Cold air induction. They put it in front of the engine to give cooler air to breath.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • SportsFan
    SportsFan Posts: 93
    edited February 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    The Flux Capacitor.
    :p:D I get it.....
    '98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
    Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2006
    A big plastic thing that looks to suck in air is a capactior?
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Damn, pissed my self again....
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited February 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    The Flux Capacitor.

God forbid he hits 88 MPH without a way to dial in a time setting! He will be lost forever.............
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Buzzed the tower on that one, didn't we?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited February 2006
    On occasion, youth has its drawbacks.

• VR3
    edited February 2006
    Ignorance...truly is bliss.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    You did see the correct answer, right? Cool(er) air is more dense, the engine will run more efficiently.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Is this what you were talking about in another thread? In-take or somethin-a-nother
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Exactly. Your engine breathes in and out, just like you do. In (air intake), out (exhaust). The proper air/fuel mixture along with a timed spark are the basic ingredients for those small explosions (combustion) that gets you down the road.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    So.. what you were telling me to add is already part of the engine?

Interesting...

Thanks for the info...
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2006
    That's the Frank-Wart gear, it pressurizes the blinker fluid.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Not add, upgrade. Just like mass produced audio, some corners are cut to meet a pricepoint, and keep things simple.

Stock intake and exhaust mods are usually the first place to start. It's cheap, and you'll notice a difference in your right foot, and on the gas guage. An engine that breathes better, works better.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    If someone had upgraded the exhaust on the vehicle, would they have upgraded the intake as well?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Not always, as they are two separate systems.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Interesting...

The original owners kept the receipt for the exhaust upgrade in the visor, I will have to look it over and see if it mentions the intake anywhere...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, again, talking easy, and inexpensive - a 'catback' (catalytic converter and back) upgrade is usually what most will do. A good high-flow muffler, and proper diameter pipe. Tone is up to you, there are plenty of options.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    That's the Frank-Wart gear, it pressurizes the blinker fluid.

don`t tell him to change the muffler bearing...he just got the truck.. :rolleyes:
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    ROFL

This is hilarious...

And I've actaully read about changing the muffler bearing...though I can't remember where...seems like it was on the NAXJA forums.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    it`s right next to the kanooter valve..!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited February 2006
    The 5.0 is one of the coolest sounding motors out there with Flowmaster mufflers (I like the 50 series model mellow tone) and a K&N replacement filter for your air filter.

Russ is right, you don't need anything exotic, just efficient.

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2006
    K&N is the Bose of FIPK's. Don't waste your money. Stick with Purolator or Fram Air-Hog filter in the stock location and you'll be in great shape.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2006
    ...The 5.0 is one of the coolest sounding motors out there...

Agreed, distinctive at least. You know whats coming down the road before you can see it. Moreso than an LS1 / Borla, which is also fairly easy to pick out.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    I'd relunctantly have to agree. I love the way the 5.0 Mustangs sound. Shoot, I think Mustangs sound great from the factory. However, my 'love' lies with Chevy and the LT-1, LS1, LS2, and especially the LS7.

*drool*
    LS7
    *drool*
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    The truck has a very *low* rumble, I like the way it sounds. i dont really like LOUD pipes, but the low rumble of the dual exhaust is very nice, not loud - but not soft...

I like Chevy and I like Ford - Toyota is pretty cool too, but I cant say I like Dodge all that much... to many bad experiences with them in the immediate family, all that...
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    one of the key things about air intake is not so much the temperature of the air, but rather the lack of restriction of said intake.

a 14" round dish old school air cleaner mounted atop o throttle body or carb with a 3" element is often as good or better than a 4 foot long cold air intake system... and the 14" dish is cheaper... by a lot... its like 30 bucks for a decent lookin one.

far as exhaust --- dude... what's with you -- u just got this thing.. u should work all the bugs out before you go adding upgradings and ****.

and flowmaster can smoke my pole.

summit turbo muffers are about 20 bucks and they will keep up with just about anything.. if you want a straight through glass pack, then magnaflow is very very cheap and they are 100% stainless steel.
    dynomax also makes a very good fully welded muffler. but honestly.. u're putting the cart before the **** horese man.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • ward91
    ward91 Posts: 338
    edited February 2006
    what it is is a plastc thing thats just there
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    PB,
    The truck *already* (came that way) has an exhaust upgrade, it was upgraded in 2004* to dual exhaust with chrome extentions.

The *last* thing Im worried about is an exhaust upgrade. Even if it had come with a stock exhaust, itd be at the bottom of my list.