Dual Gas Tank Question...

2»

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    how does oil 'go bad'? does it decompose, or something? does full-synth have the same problem?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    i dont think it goes bad neo -- some would say "oh, the metal oil pan causes blah balh whatever" -- but oil used to be sold in steel cans, and its shelf life was the same as it is now
    REAAAAALLLLY long. I've got oil that was bought "bargain basement" when a local gas station went out of business 15 years ago or more... 10w40 Texaco Havoline... about 2 cases left, and 10w30 and 40 Exxon SuperFlo ... I use the Exxon superflo for "flushes" when I was building my motor for the 88 and refreshing the caddy... the 40 is what goes in the caddy all the time (it calls for it)...

oil doesn't go bad in the pan.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    You are correct if you build a new engine and never fire it then yes the oil will last a very long time.

Oil essentially has three jobs in an engine: Cooling, lubrication, and cleansing.

It is the gases that get past the piston rings that contaminate the oil and begin breaking it down immediately.

Synthetics are better at resisting this chemical breakdown but it still occurs.

The only accurate way to know when to change your oil is take a sample in for analysis, this costs around $20.00.