Dual Gas Tank Question...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
How often should I alternate tanks I use...

And would it be wise to have atleast a quarter tank filled in one so if I happen to run out of gas, Ill have a back up plan? lol

I dont want to have gas setting in there a long time (which is why I ask)
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2006
    When I had dual tanks, I would try to switch from one to the other, then back and so on just to keep the gas fresh, good plan to keep a a min 1/4 of a tank at all times.

Just a guess, your mom let you get that truck?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Yep, its in the driveway! :)

And thanks...

The reason why I ask about this is - I dont want to fill both tanks....

because it will cost 80 dollars to fill both tanks, and 450 miles to go through both tanks. I do NOT plan to drive alot...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    pics man pics
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Soon, gotta borrow a digital camera...efffffffffffff
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2006
    get some gas in both, run one dry, fill it to whatever, switch to the other, run it dry, fill, switch, run dry, fill, ....

Or do whatever you want it's yours
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Ill do that most likely...

Just seeking advice from people whos owned a dual tank before...

From what I was told, if gas is not kept in the tanks for extended periods it will rust...that would suck.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    It`s a good idea to switch back and forth, and run them low enough to keep the gas fresh..but not too low, as the crap on the bottom of the tank will clog injectors, or plug up feul filters

1/4 tank rule is good..I personally never go under 1/2, as it is cheaper to fill up that way, and if there is an emergency you will be prepaired.
    If ya stay ready, you don`t have to get ready..

gas will stay good for a month or so, but don`t let it sit too long...if it does throw some premium on it when you fill up to help burn off the crappy gas without fouling plugs..

best thing to do is fill both, run one down, fill it up and switch to the other side andrun it down...rinse and repeat as needed..!

congrats on the new truck
    I see a girl friend in your near future..

**snif, snif** our boy is growing up.....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2006
    N. Carolina regular should be used within 60 days or else you run the risk of gumming things up. Having the tank filled less than full will allow moisture to build up and make things even worse.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Well what I plan to do as of right now...

Is fill one tank up to 1/2 way - run it down... (while the other tank is filled up half way)...

Then when that one tank is empty, I will switch to the other tank... then fill the one I just got through with up to 1/2 way - this way it is even and it will get me a good distance...

Sound like a plan?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Look at this discussion. You guys can overthink ANYTHING, I swear.

Just keep driving, pumping, and flippin' the switch, enough already.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    so you'll fill them to half full, maximum, ever?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited February 2006
    im a auto boidy tech and mechanic, the advice i can give is kepp both full if possible if you just keep a 1/4 tank it could condensate and you might get water in your fuel how much who knows, so i would keep them full one at all times and put some fuel stablizer in to keep that fuel fresh.
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    so you'll fill them to half full, maximum, ever?

No, if I was planning to go on a trip or w/e (road trip) - I would probally fill them both up...
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2006
    also, never run the tanks DRY... it will be a PITA to get the truck started again off of a dry tank. Run it low, but never dry...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2006
    Fill both tanks and run them both. it's expensive at the station, but you don't go as often.

Just my .02.
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, I just put gas back in the rear tank today (had a gas can in the garage) and it was completely empty (has about an 1/8 of a tank now) and it had a lil extra time to start right but it kicked in finally...
  • beardog03
    edited February 2006
    make sur eit doesn`t leak..
    It may have been empty for a reason...

also check and replace old fuel filters and lines...

Just a heads up..

When do we get to see the babe magnet..?
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• VR3
    edited February 2006
    We are going to replace the oil, etc once it gets insurance and tag on it...

I am kind of under the impression that that tank was just never used....or it was just run all the way down...

The front tank only had... 1/4 tank in it... so its empty to basically...

I plan to take pics in the morning (I got a digi cam for a lil bit) and then Ill post pics...
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2006
    Check them, they have a thing for leaking. Also go over the brake lines GOOD. They have a thing about rusting and breaking too. Trust me, you don't wanna find out when your doing 65. Personal experience...
  • VR3
    edited February 2006
    Thanks Amul,
    I wrote all that down to tell my Grandpaw, he is going to teach me how to change oil and filter and how to lubricate everything....

Dun dun dun
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    ^^ Sweet. Should be fun maintaining it.

amulford....you found out your brakes didn't work while doing 65? Sounds, umm, exciting! :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    I agree with beardog -- fill both tanks to start... run one down, refill it, switch to the other... run it down, fill it, switch back.

leaving a tank 1/4 full will result in condensation inside the tank --- in time --- watery gas. baddddd... freeze up a fuel line like that if it get bad enough.

On a side note --- I've got about 1/10th of a tank in the 88.. its basically empty -- by choice -- we were welding so much and grinding and god knows what that i didn't want any more than a gallon of gas in there at a time. I would be well advised to drop the tank come spring.... but i wont... no too safe... lol -- I'm going to drill a hole in the bottom of it, drain it out... flush it with some laquer thinner or gum-out carb cleaner, and then put an oil pan plug in it or something of that nature.... then i'll fill it back up.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2006
    Thanks Amul,
    I wrote all that down to tell my Grandpaw, he is going to teach me how to change oil and filter and how to lubricate everything....

Dun dun dun

Good deal! Changing your oil is one thing you should never have to pay anybody to do.
  • beardog03
    edited February 2006
    and do it evry 2500-3000 miles without fail..
    If it sits, or you only do city driving , do it every other month..

Fresh oil is the key to a long lasting , healthy motor....change filter every time

Air filter also..

and always warm you engine up...EVERYTIME...no exceptions..

okay I`m done preachin...
    I very much believe in what I`m sayin though..!!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    On a side note --- I've got about 1/10th of a tank in the 88.. its basically empty -- by choice -- we were welding so much and grinding and god knows what that i didn't want any more than a gallon of gas in there at a time. I would be well advised to drop the tank come spring.... but i wont... no too safe... lol -- I'm going to drill a hole in the bottom of it, drain it out... flush it with some laquer thinner or gum-out carb cleaner, and then put an oil pan plug in it or something of that nature.... then i'll fill it back up.

A full gas tank is much safer to be working around in a fab shop that one with very little gas in it.

Remember gasoline is not flamible in liquid form.
  • HiPerf360
    edited February 2006
    What i am saying is your empty gas can that is full of vapors is just like a bomb, the less fumes the less chance of a mishap.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    HiPerf360 wrote:
    A full gas tank is much safer to be working around in a fab shop that one with very little gas in it.

Remember gasoline is not flamible in liquid form.

Very interesting.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    true... liquid gas doesn't ignite, it's the vapors that burn, and burn they do... don't believe it? fill a plastic baggie with gas, throw it an a little fire pit... doesn't go whoosh, it soaks down and burns off slowly...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    i didn't know that about gas -- i'm sure somebody probably tried to teach me that before, but it never 'came across' my thoughts... i think u're right... lol... which is scary... lol... not that u're right but that i was actually making my life more dangerous instead of less dangerous.

far as oil changes go... wanna save cash, use dinosaur oil and do it every 3000 miles or 3 months if you do 10k miles a year or more.

if you're like my grandfather who does about 3000 miles a year... then do it every 6 months. everytime you change the oil do the filter too. oil "just sitting" in the crank case is the same as oil " just sitting" in a jar... it doesn't go bad. don't start imaginging that it does.

personally... i use synthetics -- full synthetics...

my change interval is 3 to 4,000 miles (i do every 3 months, and that usually works out to 3 - 4 k... if i go on a trip and pile on more mileage then i adjust my change interval to compensate). always change the fitler every time.

as far as what oil to use --- get a shop manual for your truck. people were telling me the older 318 shoud have 10-40 ... full of **** they were... its 10-30 unlessy our'e in a climate that never gets above 60 F or goes down to -20 F, in which case its 5-30. every car is different - find out what's right -- DO NOT LISTEN TO THE GUY AT AUTOZONE OR THE PARTS STORE! Oil weight is critical to lifter pump up and is relative to the main and cam bearing clearance.... in the days when clearances were 0.003 to 0.005 10-30 and 40 were the way to go... now that they're between 0.0005 and 0.001, it may be 5-20 or 5-30. use MFG spec grades.

as far as air filters --- every 15 k / or 1 year --- or whenever it gets clogged if sooner.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • HiPerf360
    edited February 2006

if you're like my grandfather who does about 3000 miles a year... then do it every 6 months. everytime you change the oil do the filter too. oil "just sitting" in the crank case is the same as oil " just sitting" in a jar... it doesn't go bad. don't start imaginging that it does.

Actually it does go bad just sitting in the crank case, change it every six months at a minimum.