2 channel on the cheap....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I was sitting here thinking....and I could be talking out of my arse (as is the case a lot)...but it seems that most folks labor under the impression that a good 2 channel separates system has to cost an arm and a leg.

I for one think that it just isn't so with the plethora of QUALITY used items out there you can build a good mancave 2 ch rig very inexpensively....

In my situation:

Dahlquist DQ-10's - 280
Carver m1.5t - 250
Adcom SLC-505 - 75
AMC cd8b - 175 (new)
Signal cable interconnects - 60
14 ga lampchord - 10 bucks, maybe

All in, I got 850 in the whole rig......not bad I think.....

Point is, I think that folks can do it, and do it on a budget...

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Agreed Troy, the rig I used in the KEF review as follows:

ADC 16/2r cd player - $25
    Carver m400a Cube amp - $110
    Nad 1130 pre (arriving this week) - $60 (Lux R113 was only $35)
    Signal Cable Interconnects - $60
    14awg wire - $10
    KEF Cresta 2 - $125
    Stands - $35
    Homemade Flexy rack - $40

Total, a whopping $405, $330 for the gear itself......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Options
    While all this is true, I've had some bad experiences with used gear. I'm sure there's some good used stuff out there, though. The used stuff just doesn't give me that pride of ownership. There's nothing like taking a brand new piece out of the box. I guess it would be different if you could see and touch the piece ahead of time (unlike eBay, the forum, etc.).

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Used doesn't give you 'pride of ownership'?

Man, worry a little less about the Glitz and Label, and more about the sound.....

You have a food-stamp 2ch system put together, don't you? Run it down for us....

Cheers,
    'Confused to hear Aaron say that' Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I like my gear in perfect condition, and if it's glitzy that's a bonus. I put my 2-channel system together for under $500 (since I already have a CD player). It sounds good for $500, but it doesn't sound good to me. Once you've heard the good stuff, you're ruined. I'm sure I could improve the system a bit with tweaking, but it won't satisfy me.

Aaron
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Nothing wrong with used Krell.
    Yes, its still expensive... but, it holds its resale value well - assuming it was purchased smart on the used market.

I'd rather buy used and have the ability to resell and get 95% of my money back than buy new and resell at 40% return.

Used electronics that is. I think speakers should be new - as, they are easily damaged by misuse - clipping receivers, etc.
    But, for everything else... nothing wrong with used at all ! ! !
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Yeah, I agree, even 'high-end' gear, why buy new. (my one exception being CD players) I have bought 3 used cd players, all arrived with one or more issues....that I trust they did not leave with...

I won't be seeing Krell anytime soon, I'm pretty hip to the 'dollar-per-watt' (or less) used amp theory.....

My m200t was $.58/watt, the m400a came in at $.54/watt.

Speakers are a toss up, I've had 10+ good (intact no damage) speaker experiences, used and shipped, 1 bad due to Ups. I'm not afraid to buy speakers used, and have them shipped, but a local deal (and demo) is always preferable....

Original packaging is a big plus, NEVER had a problem with original packaging.....

Cheers,
    Fred Sanford
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I, however, am not any more proud of a new item than a used item.

Good gear is good gear, IMO, regardless of age. IE: in terms of sound quality, I will stack my DQ's up against most anything out there today.

I think it depends, obviously my system is not a 25K B&W/Krell setup and if you use that as a basis for comparison, then not much will ever satisfy you.......but for 850 dollars, I'm VERY satisfied with my setup.

When buying used gear as with anything else, if I don't have a warm fuzzy from the seller, I walk away.........

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I'm with Aaron on this one,
    I'm not a fan of used gear.I like buying new, I have all my life.And will for the rest of it.We get in a lot of used gear at our store,I look at it from time to time and have demo'd ton's of it.
    If you guys are happy with buying used...more power to yeah.
    I like the smell of fresh new gear out of the box.

You can get some killer deals on used gear.I have seem many good Adcom's ,B&K stuff,Audio Research preamps,etc............
    I guess I can see why you wouldn't want to pay retail for the good stuff.It get's way up there in price.
    I don't pay retail,But thats an advantage of working in the field.

One man's trash is another's tresure........

But in audio.....used or new..........I need to hear it go first.I can't buy anything off of faith.....................just don't happen.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Is there really a difference in performance though?

Does a speaker (or amp/preamp) that is 10yrs old perform worse than a brand new one?

Granted, I understand the desire for new stuff and certainly don't knock it but practically speaking, if an item is in good condition, theoretically it should perform at the same level?

Thoughts?

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I don't see any reason to buy new, without searching used first, unless you have an inside source, friend, discounts...yadda yadda....

Sometimes, you don't have a choice, what you want you may not be able to find used. But butter my **** and call me a biscuit, I have found TONS of kick-**** used deals over the years....

Some I keep, some I pass the deal on to a brotha in need, some I turn for some coinage.....

Cheers,
    Russ

I agree with the 'new' smell, but there is something to be said about that 'thirft-store/pawn shop/grandma's house' smell too.....
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    the best feeling is when you catch one of those rare finds or get a great deal on a cool piece of gear....

280 for a pair of DQ-10's....I still grin about that.

BDT
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited May 2002
    Options
    280 for a pair of DQ-10's....I still grin about that

Thats better than the Denon POA 2400a I got for 25.00

I am still working on mine "new" 2ch rig. Heres what I have so far:

Polk Rti 55 - $400 (new)
    Denon POA2400a - $25
    Denon DCD 590 - $10

As for how it will sound, I will post when I get it completed.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    Options
    90% of what I buy is used. I have had some really great stuff to play with and like rskarvan said, I get 90-110% of my money back when I sell it to buy something else. But I am a poor white boy, if I had the cash, I might buy all new.

There is a risk, UPS damage, lying ****, crooks and thieves.

But for the most part, I have found people in this hobby are honest and good people.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • weavercr
    edited May 2002
    Options
    QUOTE]You can get some killer deals on used gear.I have seem many good Adcom's ,B&K stuff,Audio Research preamps,etc............ [/QUOTE]

Now If we could get Mantis to hook us up I bet we could get some killer deals on used equipment.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    "Now If we could get Mantis to hook us up I bet we could get some killer deals on used equipment." - now there is a GREAT idea!

I just think if you rule out used, you eliminate the option of TONS of great equipment. Plus I am not morally conflicted by letting the original owner take it in the shorts for the initial markup.

However, if you have all the money in the world, there is no need for option.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Now If we could get Mantis to hook us up I bet we could get some killer deals on used equipment.

I don't know, might be nice to hear about his open box buys, but I think Aaron has already attached at the hip, you'll have to wait in line...... :eek:

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    //in my ring announcer voice//

RuSsMaN...off the top turnbuckle.....KA-BOOOM!

Mean Gene
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Consider your **** buttered, biscuit-boy!

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    NOW who is the the ****-slammer?

BDT
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Try as hard as you like, but no one will ever take that title away from you.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    hey, I'm NOT the one talking about buttering Russ's biscuit....................

Hey, I have a completely clear conscience.

BDT
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Hey, I have a completely clear conscience.
    You give a whole new meaning to the saying "sweet taste of revenge." Yuck! :eek:

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BDT
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Options
    So you guys want good deals on used gear..........we have a ton of it.How about a used B&K 2 channel amp for a killer price.We have an Adcom gfa555 sitting and waiting for a new home.
    Anyone want some DYnaudio 8's(might have to get in the ring with Aaron first)these are some killer sounding floor standing speakers.We have tons and tons of used gear.We sell it at the best possible price.
    If you let me know what you are in the market for I might be able to come up with it....by the way we have miles of used wire.....Transparent,straight,tributaries,Monster,etc............
    Dan
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i really need to get down to your store. :D
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited May 2002
    Options
    What B+K 2 channel amp??? or amps do you have used ???

Reference series??? big?????

you can E-mail me at jjeeffvv@msn.com

thanks!!:lol::lol:
  • weavercr
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Does your Store have a WEB site?

Whats the name of your store and where is it located?

What B&K equipment do you have?

drop me an email weavercr@comcast.net
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I can see a feeding frenzy about to start here.

Mantis we all want to know what you have and for how much, this could make you salesman of the month :D
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Wow Mantis. They are right. Bet you could make salesman of the month. Do you ship UPS? Let the feeding frenzy begin.

joe
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Sorry guys,
    But I'm not a salesman,just an Installer.Our website is www.soundexonline.com...........this is not a link.
    We are in Willow grove Pa.
    It would be wise to check out our web page,if you live close enough, take the trip.Many amps used ready for a new home.
    The B&K amp I mentioned is an st140 with a rack mount face plate, for those of you that have a middle alantic rack(like me I have 2).
    Spell out a wish list I can tel lyou if we have something.
    I don't normally sell unless Im on the job in a customer's house and modifing there system.
    Dan