Please assist, PSW12 sub-woofer hum (From South Africa)

Options
aquasplash
aquasplash Posts: 1
edited February 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hi There,

I recently bought a PSW12 sub-woofer and very happy with it, just need to eliminate the annoying hum. :(

I have a simple Hi-Fi stereo set-up with a Onkyo A9211 Integrated Amp and a Panasonic DVD/CD Player (Not sure of model). The amp powers the sub through the speaker wires and in turn the speaker output wires on the sub go to the Floorstanding Polk R50 speakers.

Note that there are no other components involved other than those mentioned above. No TV, satelite or anything else)

To start with, the PSW12 is the only component with a Earth/ground prong on the plug. Both the amp and the DVD/CD player only have two wires and are not electrically grounded.

Last night, I switched the sub, amp and CD/DVD player on. By process of elimination, the hum completed dissapeared when I unplugged the CD/DVD player. Note that the sub and AMP were still on and there was no hum evident.

It cannot really be a ground loop as only the sub is grounded of the components and the amp and DVD/CD player is not! :confused:

How do I solve this.? I did notice that at the back of the amp, there is GND terminal. What is that used for?

Please let me know.

Regards
Charles
Post edited by aquasplash on

Comments

• gabbygenier
    gabbygenier Posts: 1
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I had the same problem but only when my computer was hooked up to the amp. not sure about there but here you can just go buy a cable for 20 dollars that eliminates it at radio shack. not sure whats in the cable but i know it works and there is absolutly no more hum now. the cable is a ground loop isolator cable. if you look it up on the net you will find some sites explaining what causes the problem.