Who am I? I'm Spiderman.

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
I saw the movie last night, and it kicked ****! I thought the movie was solid all the way around, and everything was executed very well. For once I came out of the theater thoroughly impressed.

Aaron
Post edited by Aaron on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i wonder wend its going to come out on dvd
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Before the end of the year: Oct or Nov. www.thedigitalbits.com

EDIT: Maybe it was one of the other DVD news/revies site. Sorry, but I remember seeing that it was coming out on DVD before the end of the year.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Probably one of the best live action comic-book
    movies to date. The entire movie felt like I was living
    out a comic book. Something the X-Men movie lacked.
    Very well done in that respect.

Tobey Maguire did an outstanding job. Surprised me
    as I was really leary about him pulling this off.

Willem Dafoe, excellent as always.

Kirsten Dunst, yeah well, not much to say here. It's
    all babe factor.

The CGI was good most of the time, but, some scenes
    were of poor quality.

The ending was a bit off-beat and kinda threw a wrench
    in the movie for me.

star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif /5star.gif 's

A must purchase DVD.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Wow, we agreed! You're comment about this movie succeeding in feeling like a comic book where X-Men failed was right on the money. As much as I wanted to like X-Men, I was left wanting more. DaFoe did do an excellent job, as did Toby (which surprised me). Kirsten was pretty lame, but whatever. The ending left some things unresolved, so you can bet they'll make a sequal or three. It sure seemed like MJ figured out Peter was Spiderman at the end, though.....

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    She knows, there is no doubt, after that kiss. But, seeing how Peter loved her his entire life and MJ finally telling him. His emotional response left me dry. I expected more. If that were me, I'd have fallen apart at that point. Peter just kinda moved on.

I know Peter needs to protect her by staying distant, but at this point in the game it is too late. We know who the next villian will be, we know he (the next villian) knows the love that Peter has for MJ. All the new villian needs to find out is who Spider-man is and it's right after MJ again, with our without Peters invlovement in her life.

It just left me wanting more from Peter, emotionally.

If...
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Options
    It just left me wanting more from Peter, emotionally

Maybe you should word this better?:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    right on ron! i felt the same way. the movie was awesome, the best comic to live-action on the big screen adaptation yet! my only fault with the movie was the CGI lacked in a few places, but the story kept me so 'IN' to the movie, it wasn't a big distraction. my biggest concern going into this movie was tobey mcguire, but he was excellent in this role, i was very happily suprised. a definite 'go see it in the theater' & purchase the DVD movie! I'll probably end up seeing this one again while it's still in theaters.
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    So, which villain will our supposed villain become? I mean, he has to be some character from the comics, right? I'm not a Spiderman expert here, so somebody start throwing out some names.

Aaron
  • lax01
    edited May 2002
    Options
    PLEASE!!! Mark all spoilers, I know there haven't been any, but I really want to see this movie without knowing the ending already. Thanks! :)

I hope the next villian will be VENOM or CARNAGE! Those two would make for an awesome sequel! :D
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited May 2002
    Options
    3 words only " go see it", good movie, good story, incredible stunt works, great photography especially those aerial shots. Spiderman will spin you away in 2 hours and 01 minute. If you can, buy ticket on-line, faster and better, no waiting in line...
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    So, which villain will our supposed villain become?
    Hard to say. My guess is some sort of Green Goblin spin-off, following in this fathers shoes. We may not see him in the next movie as they may decide to introduce an all new villain. As well as this one did, a sequel is a guarentee.

I mean, he has to be some character from the comics, right?
    Yep!

If...
  • juice21
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i think they are talking doctor octopus??? don't quote me on that though. the son of the green goblin may be revived into the green goblin in the 3rd or later installment of spiderman. i would like to see the hobgoblin as well, but i don't think this is being considered? hopefully they will keep it at one villian per movie, batman really fell apart with multiple enemies....
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I agree, one per movie, none of these multi-villain crap. That spells certain doom for a sequel.

Peace Out`:D
    If...
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I really enjoyed the movie from the start -- well developed story and plot -- but the ending left me disappointed. :mad:

Sure, Ben's line about "With great power comes great responsibility,” dictates his life-changing behavior and development, but we're talking about Peter who finally meets his dream girl professing her love for him -- and he walks away? C’mon!

I heard a few voices behind me: “What the… He’s ****! You’re kidding, right? That can’t be the end.”

I figured that Peter and MJ would hook up and develop an emotional and physical attachment so when Harry comes back for his revenge against Spiderman, Harry will be filled with wrath and therefore very motivated in his pursuit and dealings with Spiderman, and even more surprised and outraged when he finds out that Spiderman is actually his best friend Peter.

I still have to decide if my 6.5 year boy can see the movie, he wants to so bad… but the movie is PG-13 – and rightly so.
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Good points on the end. I felt the same way.

That's a tough call on the age factor. A couple next to me had their 7 year old girl with them and she loved it. Hey, sit in the back near the end, if the movie gets to be to much for him, pull out.

If...
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    Options
    was the green goblin in the first book arte they going to do a story line like they are in the 2 sequals 2 x-men i am prety shure that they started near the beging of x men but in the animated series they have more than 1 enime in spiderman i think the olny thing they did wrong with the multi enime in batman is that they dident try and back stab each other more
  • wickman
    wickman Posts: 6
    edited May 2002
    Options
    as someone who grew up on the comic i thought they did a great job,especially the way they updated his origin slightly yet remained true to the original...as for the next villian everyone is saying doc ock but in this one he was fired from his first job by dr.connors and the photographer he replaced at the bugle was named eddie so there are a couple of more possibilities...
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by wickman
    as someone who grew up on the comic i thought they did a great job,especially the way they updated his origin slightly yet remained true to the original...as for the next villian everyone is saying doc ock but in this one he was fired from his first job by dr.connors and the photographer he replaced at the bugle was named eddie so there are a couple of more possibilities...
    agreed..this was very well done and pretty faithful to the comic although i think the love thing was concentrated on a little too much thus the action took a back seat..this never would have happened in the comic..the MJ thing was always there but it was more of a subplot..in the movie the MJ thing seemd to be the main plot..anyway..I enjoyed the movie ..IM hoping for Doc Octopuis or maybe even the RHino or Vulture in the next one
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!!!!
    It started out going and never really slowed down.They put it together well.
    Mary Jane was HOT.Kristen Dunst pulled her off .The Green Goblin's laugh was classic.I laughed everytime I heard it.
    I will agree with the end, I think Peter should have given it to her,put as usual the superhero can't keep the girl.........that suck's.
    Toby was the Perfect Peter Parker.He was fit to do the role.
    The web thing was a nice twist on the comic,no running out of web for this modern Spiderman.Very cool,if you didn't see it....SEE IT.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • juice21
    edited May 2002
    Options
    just saw it again, and it still kept me wanting more...
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    It is reported that Toby got 5 mil. for this one and will get 23 mil. for the next two. So, at least we know 2 more sequels are on the plate.

So far 223+mil. in 9 days. Some say Ep.II will be riding on the coat tails of Spiderman and not quite beat it. It should be interesting.

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2002
    Options
    You're not asking, but I know you all are just salivating for my take on this SPIDERMAN thing... I saw it last night, and there were many moments where I thought, "Now that is completely cool," and many more moments where I thought, "Okay, now get to the cool stuff." I thought the film did a good job of translating a comic book to film, and it was pretty freaking cool some of that stuff, but it failed in many ways. Why is that important? Because the trailer -- remember when that first came online? -- was a TEN, made me want to run right the hell out and see the damn movie. The movie, tho, was a SIX.

Toby M. was good. He did a good job of communicating PP's geekiness and then newfound power as SPIDERMAN. What miffed me was losing his character behind the mask, and missing one of the major proponents of this story, which is the hero's loneliness. Remember BATMAN? Michael Keaton did an amazing job of showing us Batman's inner conflict, in his eyes and in his mouth, even under the mask. Toby M couldn't do that, couldn't act thru the mask. This of course was a much better film than either Keaton/Burton BATMAN movies, Sam Raimi is a much more free and fun and capable director, but I was missing the one connection I wanted with the hero -- his loneliness, the thing that would have made his final gesture, turning away from MJ, much more powerful.

K. Dunst was good, too. Altho, she's really just a set of cans in this movie. She's much better in BRING IT ON, more intelligent and more nuanced; better written. One of the things that really moved me was the oft-mentioned wet shirt scene: the upside-down-kiss scene. That was an incredible moment of giddy fun, so superbly directed and acted that for a second I was really just as giddy from it as MJ was (she does that happy little jig of excitement as Spidey zips up into the rainy sky). Her teeth look like little niblet corn.

Willem Dafoe was very good, as usual. In fact, he really tapped into the duality -- the good/evil thing -- that I wanted more of from Spiderman. In the comic, PP really is alone; it's all about being alone. First as a geek, and then as a freak. I felt that this movie would have been much better had it been able to tap into that aspect of the character a little more. I didn't care about him walking away from MJ at the end, I didn't buy his decision (even tho the hasty voice over proclaimed, moments before, that he can't love anyone without hurting them, etc.). And again, Dafoe was lost in his unmoving mask, even when you could see his eyes and mouth. I was lost.

I liked all the little in-jokes -- the directorial references to BATMAN and SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE: the falling shots, the gargoyal shot, etc. I didn't like the cheesy New Yorkers who appear out of nowhere and throw things at the Green Goblin, bad move. I liked the way the spiderpower was sort of like him reaching puberty in public, unable to control the web-slinging and stuff. I liked the web-slinging itself -- that's great Sam Raimi camera work of the CGI Spiderman swinging thru Manhattan. That was a lot of fun. I hated the pandering of the final shot, of the CGI Spiderman stuck to the flagpole. Blah. I liked seeing Stan Lee himself in the "world day celebration" scene.

So far, for me, the best film/comic superhero was Keaton's BATMAN. It got right in to the tortured heart of the matter, very dark and very well acted. I missed the deep darkness in SPIDERMAN.

Next?
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I never read the comic book of Spiderman. But, I was told that this movie followed it closely. PP/Spiderman was a ladies man with lots of different girl freinds all the time. He did not and is not supposed to have the inner-conflict like Batman.

If...
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Well, not as much inner conflict as Batman, who is probably the most conflicted of the major super heros, but Spidey is supposed to have a bit of internal conflict. His uncle's death haunts him in the comics alot, as does the death of his first g/f Gwen Stacey, which they omited from the movie. And of course, he has the reputation of freak, and is never understood by the people, which causes him alot of inner turmoil.

But the movie was grear, probably the best comic movie since Batman. :)
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited May 2002
    Options
    >Micah>Her teeth look like little niblet corn.

:lol: yes but she's still hot :D
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Rong Ron. PP is a geek. He had no chicks, at least he wasn't a lady's man. He was laughed at. The comic book really deals with loneliness and coming-of-age in a difficult time (early 60s). He was just reaching manhood when this all happened, and the "spidey-powers" are sort of his puberty, which I think was shown quite well in the movie. The comic book makes an extreme juxtaposition between his being a geeky-geek as a kid, and then a real smart-**** outcast as the freak, Spiderman. He was the anti-Clark Kent, anti-Smallville kind of superhero.

I wish the movie had been darker. But I still can't get that amazing upside-down-kiss scene out of my head. That's a real classic.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • lax01
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I just saw it yesterday and thought it was a great movie. The thing that really hit me was the sound in the theater. Such great use of surrounds really made like you feel like you were soaring through the streets of NY.

BTW, that scene in Forest Hills, NY with the Basket-N-Robins (?) on the corner. That is exactly two blocks from my Grandmothers house! I was like wow, I have been there! Just a little tidbit! :)