yuuupi, i received my C500.1 Today (after wait like 4 months) :S

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
hi guys, im very happy i received my C500.1 Today! i will set the xover tomorrow, i was thinking abt use the digital Xover that come with my Pionner HU http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/cdtuners/dehp8650mp/index.html

How i need to set my C500.1 to set the freqs from my HU? and the C400.4?

Best Regards
Jose!
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    Congrats, man!

And, I'll let the others comment on how to set it up.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2006
    It`s good to see you get your amps..!
    I know you had to really work hard to make it happen , as they are not as available where you are as compared to the states..

Congrats..!!

I`ll let Mac handle this one though..!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2006
    Start out with the 500.1 low passed at 80 Hz and then work from there. Mine works best (at least for now) at 70 Hz and you may find your works better at another frequency so youll have to experiment with gain levels and crossover settings but 80 Hz is a good place to start.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    i have my sub amp xovered at 80 Hz, 18 dB/oct, but my fronts highpassed at 63 Hz, 12 dB/oct, plus some phase adjustments on the sub to blend and level... this worked for me, but really you just have to play with it... listen to what needs reinforcement, listen to whether you can localise the bass, make sure the excursion on the fronts is kept to a minimum (this will keep the SQ up)...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2006
    63Hz is what I have on my fronts too (24dB/octave) :).

I think starting out at 80Hz is good advice.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    well i will use the auto EQ that come with the AMPs.

but wich freq is good/safe to set the tweeter? 8K? 6k? 4K?
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    what speakers do you have again?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    I think he's got the MMC6500's. In that case go no lower than 2.6 KHz.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
  • SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    so 2.6 is safe? or is in the limit?
    im a overpowering that sets too, because im biamping with my C400.4, im sending like 91W to each tweeter and mids too
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    2.6 kHz will be quite safe, just make sure it's a steep slope...

• SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    what do you means with "it's a steep slope" ?
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Dont worry about the slope. The MMC6500 passive crossover is at 2.6 KHz at 12 db/octave. The slopes on the 400.4 are 12 db and 24 db/octave.

I would stick with the 12 db first and see how that sounds as thats the slope the passive x-over uses.

• SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    well, im not using the MMC crossover.

im using the c400.4 xover...

im using right now the pre EQ xover, coz i really have scared :D dont want to burn my speakers... really dont sound bad.

maybe i will use that and dont will play with the xovers.... i will think abt it, really have too much controls to configure hehe...
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    nah, play with it, but be careful, that's all...

• SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    is possible to dont use the C400.4 Xover? how i need to set it if i dont want to use that xover? i want to set all via the HU but looks like is not possible, im a little confused :)
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    sure, you can use just the HU... set the pre-eq to 'off', and the two switches to 'off' (instead of HP or LP)...

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    Sam...

1- I prefer the crossovers on the amplifiers more than the crossovers on the headunits. Head unit crossovers are often poor quality. But the ones on the amps are very good.

(note to all - by poor quality I mean a shallow slope... this topic has been discussed before, I've noticed other issues with them).

2- I had thought all the Polk Tweeters (excluding the SR series, of which I know almost nothing) were set at around 4000 Hz (3,800 specifically). You can run a tweeter down at 2k Hz, but a 24 db / octave slope is usually necessary.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    The Momo tweeters are crossed over at 2.6 KHz at 12 db/octave.

The SR's are crossed over at 3.1 KHz at 24 db/octave.

• SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    i will try with the amps Xover now, i really like how the HU sound, but i will try with the Amp.
    Another question, is good to use any kind of equalization/sound effect from my HU? im using BBE digital signal enhancement (you can see it here http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/cdtuners/dehp8650mp/index.html), i really likes how it sound!

Please tellme if is ok what i will do, im using the front channel to move the tweeters (the gain set like at 12 o clock), and the rear channel to move the mids.

So i need to set my Amp in this way ?
    Front Slope 24db, Freq Multiplication x10, Freq between 2 and 3,5 Khz.Crossover Mode Selection HP.
    Rear Slope 12db, Freq Multiplication x1, Freq between 50 and 80 hz .Crossover Mode Selection HP.

is that right? :D
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    yes, except i'd change the rear to LP at the same frequency as the tweets... you may find it to blend better your way, but i have mine set... well, my way :p

you can use the highpass at 50-80 Hz on the HU, with the lowpass at 2-3.5 kHz on the apm...

• SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    well tryied to set the sound with the amps and is impossible to get as i want, really sound better setting the xovers from the HU :D

i will post soon the final values that im using. (i just remember that i lower the tweeter likes 3db from the HU and the gain is lower than the mids too)
  • SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    well, is really impossible to get the system to sound ok :(
    at least i think that I DONT KNOW WHAT MEANS "OK" :(

let me show you what i tryed...

first using just the PRE EQ of the 2 amps, the sound is not bad, but i really want to tweak it a little more.... so i turn of that stuff and try to set the xovers of the amps, and is really impossible to get at least an sound close to the PRE EQ.

well, after that i set all the xovers off and try to so it from the HU, after try and try i get an nice sound using this values.

both gains of the amps are at 3/4

and the conf of the HU is

Low LPF 80hz SLOPE -24db
    Mid HPF 80hz SLOPE -12db
    Mid LPF 3,15K SLOPE -18db
    High HPF 3,15K SLOPE -18DB and set the level -9db
    and im using the Pre EQ of the C500.1.

if impossible to remove the bright that have the tweeters without use the PreEQ.

well think that that values are ok? can please tellme if is possible to get some kind of tweak record to set my sound? is really impossible i dont know what is good and what is not good :D

Thanks in advance
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Your gains are too high first off.

Second, since youre bi-amping you have the added flexibility of tuning the tweeters output by adjusting the tweeter channels gains. If the tweeters are too bright, turn the gain down until they sound right.

• neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    i believe that the pre-eq button adds a shelf to the top end of the tweeter's response (or that might be the 300.2)... try using the equaliser and tweaking the last couple bands, see if that helps (after setting the level of the tweeters using the gain on the amplifier, as mac said)

• SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    well, looks like i have the sound great right now!!! just need to play a bit with the Subwoofer. the Gain of the tweeter are at lower level, and the mid like at 11 o´clock.

just need to play with the low freqs now, is good to tweak it using the boost freq Control??

i think that i dont need it i want an dried Hit.

Im happy!!! :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2006
    SamSagaZ wrote:
    the Gain of the tweeter are at lower level, and the mid like at 11 o´clock.

That sounds about right.
    SamSavaZ wrote:
    Im happy!!! :D

That's what counts. Glad to hear it!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    you can tweak using the boost, just be aware that it doesn't raise the overall level of the bass; rather, it puts a peak in (usually around 45 Hz)... pay attention to the excursion of the subwoofer, and you'll be fine...

• SamSagaZ
    edited January 2006
    well, please explain a little more :D i need to set the boost around the 45hz? or i dont need to do that :D hehe, is my first time tweaking that stuff, but im really happy with the mids and tweeter