Spikes on PSW650?

I recently purchased a PSW650. I would like some opinions as to whether or not I should put spikes on it. It moves a little bit on my carpet. I've heard both pros and cons about doing this........

Any opinions??
Post edited by baker_max on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    The con's pf spiking.If you move your sub and have burber carpet,you can pull it apart.If you forget it spiked, now you need a new rug.They scratch hardwood floors to death if you don't use cups.Thats about it.
    Pro's........They send the energy from your sub into the wood under your rug.This lets you feel it more.Bass performance is improved.
    It also keeps the sub where it is.You can also change the height,tilt of the sub with adjustable carpet spikes.I have found this to be very usefull in proper set up fo sub's as well as floorstanding speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    I also think that spikes are a good thing....you also might want to check out a piece of slate. Some others on the forum have placed thier sub on a piece of slate and have reported good things.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Yes ,
    what slate does is help more of the experience.I know some Wifes might not want it in there living room but if you can get around that ,your in for some fun testing.
    Dan
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2002
    I had my 650 & carver sub on the carpet & wasnt happy. I read in one of Polks forums about slate. I have both subs on 3/4" - 1" thick slate. I have rubber feet on both the subs too! Seems to work well. I did notice a difference when I put the subs on the slate. Call your local slate / rock company, our local company gave me the two pices I needed.
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    I would like to know in your guys own words.....How did the slate change your sound,better or worse?
    What made you go this route?
    Did you a/b test it both ways.

How about this one........how many own 2 sub's and tried stacking them on top of each other?
    Dan
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2002
    Mantis:

I own two PSW350s which are stacked and running off an LFE Y-splitter with Monster sub cables. I don't use spikes or slate since the room is slab on grade with a wood laminate overlay.

My HT room is 12'x18' rectangular. The HT wall is 12' wide, and has a floor to ceiling inset about 12" deep and 8 feet wide to accomodate for the depth of my Hitachi 53" widescreen and all the HT wiring.

The two stacked 350's are on the left side of the HDTV, tucked into the left hand corner of this inset. Tucking them into the inset corner really improved the power of the bass response, and also extended the -3dB roll-off about about 6 Hz to around 32 Hz, with 20 Hz being around -14 dB. I can borrow a calibrated German made SPL meter from work with the A/B/C-weighted fast/slow options, and my buddy has a CD with test tones. It's pretty fun to experiment and see how your set-up compares to the factory specs, etc.

On all the usual suspects like Matrix, U-571, Blade, ID4, Atlantis, Pearl Harbor etc., these subs shake the room pretty good and move a lot of air. But they are clearly not bottom feeders, and cannot compete with two PSW650's, and are obviously not in the same league as the more expensive offerings from SVS or HSU.

Spec
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS