New Alpine h/u's and Best Buy

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited January 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ran down to Best Buy yesterday to check out some Alpine head units. I was looking for one with TA and wanted to see what they looked like in person.

First off, when I walked in and the salesdude came up to me, I told him I was looking for a h/u with TA and you shouldve seen the look on his face! Kinda something like this --->sad-smiley-028.gif

Well I explained to him what it was so he went to ask the installer which units had it. He came back and said ALL the Alpines did! HUH?!? So even this $150 unit does? "Yeah!" OK, so now I have that look on my face. After quizzing him further I discovered he still didnt have a clue what he was talking about. When I couldnt find TA anywhere in any of the menus he claimed they did it automatically. I told him it doesnt work that way and you have to set it for each channel and its different in.....oh never mind.

So after giving up on talking to the salesdude I continued to fidgit with the new Alpines and while I still like the look of them I do not like the stupid "glide touch". It doenst work right half the time and I can guarantee you it would be totally screwed up within 6 months. Why cant they just stick to good old fashioned buttons!?

I looked at some Kenwoods and Pioneers too and the Kenwoods look horrid now. They look cheaper than the Jensens!! WTF is going on at Kenwood HQ?

The Pioneers were ok but I dont like the one big knob that controls everything. Im sure it would be a lot of fun trying to work that stupid thing while bouncing down the road. speechless-smiley-034.gif

Well I guess Ill be looking into Eclipse now. They look the best, have the features I want and dont seem to have screwed everything up.

Why cant they just make an "audiophile" head unit. $500, no Ipod interface, no MP3, no XR Radio, no stupid navigation, no stupid DVD player with big **** LCD screen, just good EQ's, TA, excellent DAC, strong preamps and be done with it?!
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2006
    the 47, 53, and 55 Alpines are what I was looking at ..
    I agree...the older models , I think were better..

I`ll probably get one of these models anyway, as Alpine still has a great sound..
    The glide touch blows, so probably the 9847, or 9853 model
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited January 2006
    new for 05... not 06

they are doing away with the glide touch for this year.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2006
    Yeah I am also very dissappointed with alpine's new lineup for the coming year. There top of the line headunit this year is the cda-9857. You can see it on the alpine website.

The first thing that pissed me off about it is they only offer 2v preouts now not even 4v preouts anymore.

And this is supposed to be there top of the line headunit now and it only offers 2v preouts. Im sorry but if you ask me alpine headunits are getting sorrier every year.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2006
    I like my Premier 860 with the remote. One of my friends said he didn't really like the remote thing but it's a godsend to have that thing because otherwise you do end up flipping through buttons unnecessarily.

Just like at home, once you learn the button locations you don't even have to look.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2006
    swerve wrote:
    new for 05... not 06

they are doing away with the glide touch for this year.

Unless you are getting one of their DVD units, the regular units have also done away with the T.A. feature :mad: .
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2006
    Hey MacLeod there is still time to get a really good deal on an 05 Eclipse unit :D. Look to see what your local dealers have left :).
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    I noticed none of the new '06 Alpines have TA so that really sucks.

The only problem with Eclipse is that the cheapest model with TA is $600!

Well there is the new CD5000 for $550.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cam5860
    edited January 2006
    Alpine quit making good headunits after 04 if you ask me. The 9833 and 9835 were really nice headunits. But at the beginning of 05 they went to **** you might as well say.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    They dont appear to be the only ones. Since Ive been in the market for a new head unit Ive noticed there isnt many quality units out there. The market is bloated with stupid **** DVD, MP3 and Ipod centered units. There arent many SQ oriented units out there.

• cam5860
    edited January 2006
    Mac you hit the nail on the head. Alpine is so worried about making a seemless connection for the ipod. Until they have let sound quality fall to the waste side.
  • cam5860
    edited January 2006
    Another thing i was looking at is sony's new headunit's for this year. All there models this year only have two sets of preout outputs. Now what there saying is on the rear set of preouts you can switch it over to sub out.

I really don't know what the hell there thinking either because if you do that you can't run a 4 channel amp without a spliter. No sound quality in a sony either for this year.

If your planning on running a 4 channel amp and a pair of subs. I think that sony is saying hey just run full range this year leave the subs alone.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    Sony's Xplod is strictly for marketing to the 17 year olds with money for the first time and want a cool looking system and couldnt care less about how good it sounds.

Kenwood is right behind them. Not only are their head units ugly but they look really cheap as well.

The Pioneer P9 is a benchmark and is an excellent SQ h/u but its also $1300!!!!

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2006
    Kenferd's eXcelon stuff is quite nice, and the EZ500 and EZ700 are nice units as well.

Last GREAT alpine I had was the 7863, and that was a long time ago... although now its back in its original home... the 88 ram.

Everythign after that seemed cheesey alpine to me... I dunno...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    Never was a fan of alpine, this settles it. Pioneer has always made me happy. I love the new kenwood 25th anniversary hu though...thing is beautiful
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited January 2006
    sorry i wasn't talking about T.A. I was talking about the glide touch.

Mac, where are you getting the prices for the Eclipse stuff.

Hopefully I'll be getting a deal on the cd7000

One great thing about Sony is they are cheap and have the aux input in the front. Great solution for people who sell them like myself. This way when I can't talk the tight asses into the pioneer and the interface I can sell them a 100-120 dollar radio and a mini to mini cable.

Right now the majority wants iPod support and unfortunately that's what they are getting.

I use my iPod in my car nearly everyday.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited January 2006
    Oh... and Mac you are in best buy... of course they wouldn't know.
    Circuit City would not know either.

My roadshop team at circuit city has went to ****... besides myself and 2 of the installers the others are barely hanging on.

I do not know how we do business when we are not around. It's so easy to pickup products now and learn them because of their simplicity yet these sales associates strive to **** up anyway they can. I mean if I see a Sony, JVC, or Jensen with a aux input in the front I'm not talking about any of the tweaking options... I'm striving to make you buy that and an iPod.

I don't know the past month I've been selling with the motto:
    "It's better to play dumb than be dumb."

I haven't had a customer in so long that I can just have an intelligent conversation with about audio.

oh yeah - what's TA mean ;););) (only playin')
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2006
    No, the '06 models do not have glide touch, but they do have 2 volt preamps. Ugh.

Here are the prices for the new Eclipse units.

Its looking like its gonna be a new CD5000 for me!

h099CD5000-f_mtv2.jpeg

• swerve
    edited January 2006
    I like the 5000's preouts... but if I can get a deal I might as well go all out.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • cam5860
    edited January 2006
    What do you all think about the new Alpine PDX amps. They say they are stackable to save more space. They look pretty good to me and have decent specs.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2006
    I bought my CD8455 for $519 out the door, intallation (did this for the 3 year warranty) and tax included. I thought about the CD8445 (the same thing minus the i-Pod control as the CD5000), but I wanted more control, TA, x-over, and EQ wise. That said, out of the box the CD5000 will be a great SQ unit. I have played with mine with the pro-mode off (makes it the same as the CD8445 and CD5000 control wise) and I can still get very nice sound from it.

On a side note. I found out a couple of days ago that they have been using Burr Brown DAC's in their top HU's. The cool thing is that they are the true 24bit DAC's. Just goes to show you that they do pay attention to detail. They could have used the cheaper alternative, but chose to go with what is considered a better DAC.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • SportsFan
    SportsFan Posts: 93
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Ran down to Best Buy yesterday to check out some Alpine head units. I was looking for one with TA and wanted to see what they looked like in person.

First off, when I walked in and the salesdude came up to me, I told him I was looking for a h/u with TA and you shouldve seen the look on his face! Kinda something like this --->sad-smiley-028.gif

Well I explained to him what it was so he went to ask the installer which units had it. He came back and said ALL the Alpines did! HUH?!? So even this $150 unit does? "Yeah!" OK, so now I have that look on my face. After quizzing him further I discovered he still didnt have a clue what he was talking about. When I couldnt find TA anywhere in any of the menus he claimed they did it automatically. I told him it doesnt work that way and you have to set it for each channel and its different in.....oh never mind.

Why cant they just make an "audiophile" head unit. $500, no Ipod interface, no MP3, no XR Radio, no stupid navigation, no stupid DVD player with big **** LCD screen, just good EQ's, TA, excellent DAC, strong preamps and be done with it?!

Whew!!! Glad to know that even the salesman didn't even know what "TA" is! Sorry, but my mind is elswhere other than stereo equipment when I see the letters T and A being used together ;)

So what exactly is "TA"? (only thing that comes to mind would be "treble adjustment"???) Also, what does "DAC" stand for :confused:

P.S. - by the way.....I've long thought that car stereos have been going the wrong way as far as looks, ease of use, etc., for a long time now. It seems that as technology increases, manufacturing and incorporating new technology into these product seems to decrease. Just my opinion....
    '98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
    Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2006
    T.A. = time alignment (can help out with getting more natural sound in the car by delaying the signal of speakers closest to you, as well as matching them to each other in the case of your mid and tweeter being quite a bit apart)

DAC = digital to analog converter (what converts the digital information into anlog information, or music we hear)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • SportsFan
    SportsFan Posts: 93
    edited January 2006
    OK, thanks for that clarification, blackmax. I'm familiar with and know exactly what you're referring to....I've just never heard them referrenced by those particular initials before.
    '98 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Alpine CDA-9847
    Alpine MRP-F240

Polk Audio db1000
    Polk Audio db650
    Polk Audio db690

Sirius Starmate 4 Satellite Radio
    Beltronics Vector 995 Radar Detector
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2006
    We get lazy around here and just us parts of words :).
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • rodney
    rodney Posts: 91
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:

the Kenwood xxv-01d does a pretty good job, and looks nice too... but also has some of the extras
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    hear, hear!

btw, DAC stands for Digital-to-Analog Converter, it's the bit that reads the CD and converts it to a signal to be amplified... naturally, it's rather more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it...

and while we're on TA, does anyone know of an external TA unit that can independantly do at least 4 channels, preferably six? all i need is time alignment, nothing else, cause the TA feature on pioneers is crappy, and i'd like to try it...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2006
    Eclipse units use true 24bit Burr Browns :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2006
    the rockford fosgate 360 does time alignment...but its a little expensive if thats the only thing youll use it for
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2006
    How much is it going for ?
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited January 2006
    yeah, how much?

and if i can get 6-channel eq out of it, that'd be nice, too...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs