Problem with FXi3's

Options
QMGE81A
QMGE81A Posts: 2
edited January 2006 in Troubleshooting
Thank heavens I found these forums because I've been going mad trying to find out what I'm doing wrong in setting up my new audio system. I'll start off by declaring I am a total noob to 5.1 systems. I just upgraded to one about a week ago. I have all Polk speakers with the exception of the sub, and my receiver is an Onkyo tx-sr603x. For the left and right surround I bought two FXi3 speakers. I have them set to dipole, and placed on the wall to the direct left and right of the main seating in my home theater. In order to set them up properly I bought a home theater set up dvd called, "Avia's Guide to Home Theater." When I run one of the audio tests there is a voice that comes through each individual speaker. EX: When he says "Left Front channel" it emminates from only the left front speaker. "Center channel" comes from the center speaker, ect. The problem comes when it tests the left and right surround speakers. The voice saying "left surround channel" and "right surround channel" emminates from both speakers at the exact same volume. I've checked and rechecked all my wiring which all seems correct. Nowhere are any wires crossing, so I'm at a complete loss. For all I know maybe this is normal with the FXi3's. I just need someone to tell me if it is.

Thanks,
Jason
Post edited by QMGE81A on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2006
    Options
    There must be a connection issue or set up issue; each channel should go to only that channel's speaker. Look at the connections in the back of the receiver; are the FXi3's connected to the "surrounds" or "surround back's"? Not sure if your Onkyo has both, but my Denon does and in some setups you hear the same from both surround backs...
    Check your speakers set up in the receiver/DVD player; make sure everything is in line with the physical setup...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Yeah I agree this sounds weird.

The only thing I can think of is the point of having speakers set to dipole is to have drivers running out of phase with each other. Them being out of phase makes the sound hard to localize thus resulting in a more diffuse surround perception in the 'null area'. At least this is how I understand it. I personally dont use dipole. So are you SURE that this sound is coming from both speakers? Perhaps it is just the dipole setting giving that perception. Try to see if you get the same result in bipole mode.

Other than that Im kinda stumped, it would have to be a setup thing i'd guess.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Your reciever is set to Dolby Pro Logic instead of Dolby Digital.
  • StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited January 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:

Ahh, thats smart, I didnt think of that.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • QMGE81A
    QMGE81A Posts: 2
    edited January 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    Thanks everybody for the quick responses. PolkThug, you hit the nail on the head. I switched my receiver to Dolby Digital and tried Avia again and sure enough the surround cannels are now responding correctly. Thank you.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited January 2006
    Options
    it happens. if they're performing as advertised in both movies and music and it sounds good to your ears don't worry about it. AVIA test discs or THX optimode are not the last words in enjoying your system.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush