10" or 12" subwoofer

2»

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2006
    Great writeup! The original titanic 12" was always noted as very musical while not that great for HT. It has not been available for quite some time though.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2006
    I hooked up the sub to my HT system just to see how it sounds there even though the room is too large for it. Sounded pretty decent, but the driver was working real hard to keep up. I feared for it and turned the volume down before the poor thing exploded. While I believe in a smaller room it would do well, I would still recommend a ported sub. There are a couple of excellent options in its price range such as the Hsu STF-2 and SVS PB10.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Back to the stereo sub idea -- I was interested in this concept so I rolled my HT sub into the living room where my 2-channel system is located for a demonstration of the stereo sub concept and connected an RCA cable to the extra "white" inputs on my CD player (other sub was connected to the corresponding "red" inputs).

Results -- I heard absolutely no difference whatsoever. Therefore, I see no reason to pursue the stereo sub thing. I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference, just that in my little experiment I couldn't tell the difference.

I wonder, though, why stereo subs are recommended *if* bass is actually omnidirectional. Doesn't seem like the stereo imaging thing would apply to bass. I'm puzzled. Can anyone help me out on this one?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2006
    You need to find a recording that uses stereo bass. If it's not in the mix, then you won't hear any difference. Bass is far less direction below about 80 hz, but you can still tell where it's comming from. Do you have Beck's latest? I seem to remember it having some interesting bass from each speaker.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    How do you know if a recording uses stereo bass (before you buy it)? How many are out there?

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2006
    You don't. I'd bet that some engineers/producers will consistantly record tracks that way, so once you find a few recordings, you could use www.allmusic.com to find other recordings that they've done, but there's no telling.

In my recording experience, usually no one really even thinks about it. You spend forever getting the drums mic'd just right, then spend about 30 seconds setting up the bass, punch it to the L&R busses and that's that.

If I have time this weekend, I'll poke through my vinyl and see if I can find some fairly common recordings that have it. Try Dark Side of the Moon or Wish you were here. I don't know for sure, but I'd put money on them. Also try anything that's been produced by the Dust Brothers.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Thanks, unc. I'm a jazz enthusiast. Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not any jazz recordings are mixed with stereo bass.

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2006
    Ascendant released their drivers, with some VERY nice intro prices.

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/index.htm
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15