10" or 12" subwoofer

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited January 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Thinking of building a DIY subwoofer for music only playing mostly jazz at moderate levels in a small room (12" x 17" x 8"). Looking at a couple of different drivers that offer both sizes. The cost between the 10" and 12" drivers is nominal. Which size should I buy and why?

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited January 2006
    Options
    if the cost is nominal, go with 12...
    Better to have the extra cone size if you need it.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2006
    Options
    15" :) Keep distortion nice and low.

What drivers are you looking at? Ascendant Audio should be releasing their new drivers in the next few weeks. I'd wait to see what they have in store.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Thinking of building a DIY subwoofer for music only playing mostly jazz at moderate levels in a small room (12" x 17" x 8"). Looking at a couple of different drivers that offer both sizes. The cost between the 10" and 12" drivers is nominal. Which size should I buy and why?

Thanks.

Your not kidding that is a small room :p

Go with bigger is better
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Flip a coin.

Go hardcore, build stereo subs.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2006
    Options
    For your musical listening tastes, I'm gonna say 10". Ever notice how all the really expensive subs (ML, rel, etc) rarely have anything bigger than a 10"? Hmmmmm..... You don't need wicked loud or super low for jazz. Low mass drivers are the way to go here.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Go hardcore, build stereo subs.

Yeah, I may do that eventually. Maybe two 10" passive subs with a 2-channel amp and some sort of crossover module. But before I do that, I'd have to hear the SQ difference between a good single sub and stereo subs in a small room.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Size doesn't always matter. I would go 10", maybe even acoustic suspension. I've heard some nice rigs with "stereo" subs. I would definitely consider that option.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tryrrthg
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I think a 10" driver (or even two) would run out of steam in that size room. A friend of mine runs an REL Storm (10" driver) in a room that size and he doesn't get enough output. two sealed 12's with some EQ would be great for music.

Your room is similar in size to mine, mine is a bit bigger. I'm about to finish a sealed Atlas 15 sub, which should be excellent for music. I'll be running some frequency sweeps and EQ with a BFD over the next few weeks. I'll post the results.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    I'd have to hear the SQ difference between a good single sub and stereo subs in a small room.

You'll notice it when the cat playing the upright bass is standing over on the left.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    tryrrthg wrote:
    I think a 10" driver (or even two) would run out of steam in that size room.

Huh? Previous subs in that room have both been 10" and it's more than adequate. Hell, I was even considering an 8" sub.

• Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    You'll notice it when the cat playing the upright bass is standing over on the left.

Damn, now I'm really intrigued. Two questions:

1. For placement of the stereo subs, should they both be in the front next to the speakers or can they be tucked away in the back? (I'm asking due to WAF considerations and aesthetics -- she'd never understand the need for two subs, but if I can hide them, she won't freak out).

2. Passive, active, or does it really matter? Pros and cons?

• unc2701
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Plate amps are good in that they have everything you'd need in a single easy to install component. However, I'm never impressed with their sound (or specs) and feel like you're usually better with a poweramp and a crossover. Is this going on the jolida? does if have a pre out? if not you're going to have to rig something up that'll take speaker level input.

One last thing to consider is that some plate amps have a built in EQ or boost circuit that lets you extend the bottom end of your response just a little further.
  • unc2701
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Oh, and stereo sub placement- usually you try to put them as close to the speakers as possible. No many recordings really use a stereo mix for the bass, but when you hear it, you'll be hooked.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Just a guess but I'm thinking stereo 10" sealed box subs. Because of quickness maybe? How about this, 4x6.5" times two for stereo.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • unc2701
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Grab that 555 in the flea market & get a ICBM or paradigm x-something crossover. Tons of power, the option to go mono and way better quality than a plate amp.

6.5" is usually too small to get the low notes. There's a scan-speak revelator w/ an Fs of 30hz, but otherwise, you're looking at 40-50hz; too high for a true subwoofer.
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    Is this going on the jolida? does if have a pre out?

Sort of. I don't have a subwoofer pre-out on my Jolida. I can have the Jolida modded for pre-outs, but it's not worth the effort. I had my sub hooked up to the CD player which has an extra set of line outs. Works quite well.

• Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Alright, you guys talked me into trying the stereo sub thing. Just gotta save up the funds for it over the next couple of months to make it happen.

• tryrrthg
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Here is a nice little design for a smallish sub. The drivers are on sale right now at PE for $104 each

DAYTON RSS315HF-4 12" HIGH FIDELITY SUBWOOFER

A pair of those powered by a Nady XA-1100 pro amp (if you can deal with the fan noise) for $155.99 shipped, gets you two pretty nice subs and a ton of power on the cheap. Get yourself a crossover like unc2701 said and you'd be in business.
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    tryrrthg wrote:
    Here is a nice little design for a smallish sub. The drivers are on sale right now at PE for $104 each

DAYTON RSS315HF-4 12" HIGH FIDELITY SUBWOOFER

How does this driver compare to the Dayton Titanic MKIII and which one would be best suited for music?

• unc2701
    edited January 2006
    Options
    [QUOTE=tryrrthg

A pair of those powered by a Nady XA-1100 pro amp (if you can deal with the fan noise) for $155.99 shipped, gets you two pretty nice subs and a ton of power on the cheap. Get yourself a crossover like unc2701 said and you'd be in business.[/QUOTE]

if you get a pro amp with volume knobs on it you can get a cheap pseudo-active crossover The ICBM works better, but $20 is hard to beat. If you hooked it up to the CD player like you mentioned, you'd just control the volume using the knobs on the amp.

edit: dammit, urls are being bitchy- cut & paste.
  • tryrrthg
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    How does this driver compare to the Dayton Titanic MKIII and which one would be best suited for music?
    Not really sure. I know they're marketing the one I linked to as a "High Fidelity" driver, so it's hard to say. The titanic obviously has more excursion, etc. You could give PE a call and see what they say.

If you're thinking Titanic you might want to wait to see what Ascendant Audio is coming out with because you already know theirs drivers sound good.
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    tryrrthg wrote:
    If you're thinking Titanic you might want to wait to see what Ascendant Audio is coming out with because you already know theirs drivers sound good.

Yeah, I e-mailed Chad early yesterday but haven't received a response yet. I wanted to inquire about the Assassin 10" and 12" drivers.

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:

You could ask that on the PE forum. Lots of knowledge there.

I think.. THINK.. the 12" Titanic is a copy of the NHT 12" classic driver. Other PE driver lines are copies of other nonPE drivers. I used to know of a site that talked about all that and now I can't find it (don't even know if it still exists).

Here is a good general site:
    http://www.diysubwoofers.org

This site has a LOT of different drivers:
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/by_size.shtml
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Just ran across this pretty monstrous sub...

http://www.aadsound.com/products/2000/s2000.htm

Down to 18 Hz with two 8" drivers. Sometimes (woofer) size doesn't matter.

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Weird how a company with "American" in it's name has things that aren't available in the USA. Doesn't sound very American to me.
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    My previous sub was an Onix Rocket UFW-10. I went on the av123 forum and noticed that Onix uses the PE 500 watt amp for its UFW-12. I wonder if they use Dayton woofers, too. Hmmm.

Decided to try out the Dayton Titanic MKIII 10" kit. With free shipping and a money back guarantee, the price was hard to pass up. It comes in a basic black box, but the sub will be hidden from view, so I don't care. If it sounds good, maybe I'll eventually buy another one and have stereo subs. Hmmmm.

• Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    A question about stereo subs -- is signal separation the issue that they resolve?Currently, my sub (when it arrives) is only receiving a signal from one channel, so there's no left/right separation in the lower registers. Will stereo subs will fix that problem? Or is it a problem at all?

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Localization is where you can tell (because of some flaw) where the bass is coming from. Sometimes you can't even explain how you can tell. Stereo subs minimize this because it comes from around each speaker instead of a single place. Some recordings have different bass coming from each channel as well. In this case you would be missing some of it if hooked to a single channel or would be loosing soundstage if you combine it from both channels in a single sub.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Early B.
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    My previous sub was an Onix Rocket UFW-10. Decided to try out the Dayton Titanic MKIII 10" kit. With free shipping and a money back guarantee, the price was hard to pass up.

OK, I got the kit today, put it together and hooked it up. First, the build quality is much better than I anticipated and superior to the Onix. The amp is quite substantial and the driver is a bad little ****. The cabinet was nicer than expected; it has the auto bed liner look and feel to it. A couple of coats of poly would make it look real nice.

So how does it sound? My preliminary assessment is that it sounds as good as the Onix for my purposes. Let me explain -- I have the sub volume at around 9 a.m. with the crossover at 50 - 60 Hz, so it only fills in a small amount of the lowest notes, when necessary. Many of the songs I play hardly engages the sub. Nevertheless, I can tell when it's not on, but not always. It sounds quite different from the Onix when turned up. It has a lot more punch and less finese than the Onix, so therein lies the tradeoff. Got it turned up high right now with some heavy bass tracks to loosen her up. In the process of switching out subs, I realized that my placement isn't the greatest, but I gotta keep it hidden.

Overall, I'm pleased with the performance. However, with music only, I'd have to give the nod to the Onix because it is more musical at louder levels. If you listen mainly to rap or rock, etc., then I'd suggest the Titanic because it hits harder without sounding boomy.

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited January 2006
    Options
    all else being equal, go with the bigger driver if you louder bass. However I think a smaller sub is more accurate with music - again, if all else being equal.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush