Thinking of selling SDA 1Cs

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Those look to be in great shape and the price is very reasonable. Somebody grab them!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• StinkyDog
    StinkyDog Posts: 96
    edited January 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    I've never seen a pair of 1C's (studio version) in all black. they look really nice.

Thanks, I think so too. I've always preferred them over the 1Cs with the woodgrain. I've taken really good care of these too. Always been in a non-smoking home, never played extremely loud. Cosmetically they would be like new, however each speaker has one small scratch on one side. Other than that there isn't a thing wrong with them
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Good price on a nice speaker. FWIW I think you are making a mistake that you may regret. There is not a set of satellites that will come close to equalling the sound of the 1Cs. If it were me, I would at least try out some satellites from someplace that offers a 30 day trial before I sold the SDAs. You might think they are ok or you might hate them.

As much as my wife doesn't like big speakers (the speakers on the RPT are just fine), she would never ask me to get rid of mine. She has her shoes, purses, jewelry and stuff around the house, I have my audio gear, golf clubs and cars. It all works out.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    shack wrote:
    Good price on a nice speaker. FWIW I think you are making a mistake that you may regret. There is not a set of satellites that will come close to equalling the sound of the 1Cs. If it were me, I would at least try out some satellites from someplace that offers a 30 day trial before I sold the SDAs. You might think they are ok or you might hate them.

As much as my wife doesn't like big speakers (the speakers on the RPT are just fine), she would never ask me to get rid of mine. She has her shoes, purses, jewelry and stuff around the house, I have my audio gear, golf clubs and cars. It all works out.

I know, I know, believe me I know. These are my babies and the thought of selling them makes my stomach sink. I keep trying to tell my wife that the satellites she just HAS to have won't sound as good but she can't tell the difference. Her dad got a HTIB that cost about $300.00 and she thinks they sound just as good. There's just no arguing with that kind of logic.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Words of wisdom there, Shack Daddy!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    StinkyDog wrote:
    I know, I know, believe me I know. These are my babies and the thought of selling them makes my stomach sink. I keep trying to tell my wife that the satellites she just HAS to have won't sound as good but she can't tell the difference. Her dad got a HTIB that cost about $300.00 and she thinks they sound just as good. There's just no arguing with that kind of logic.

I mentioned earlier that I was looking into the Polk RM6900 series speakers. Anyone have any experience with them as to how they sound? The reviews I've read have given them very high marks.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2006
    Options
    So what item are you going to ask her to part with? Is there is something she values that you "detest"? It would seem only right in a true "give and take" relationship (that marriage is supposed to be) that she would be more than happy to part with something for you. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I've been married for 25 years and neither my wife or I would ask the other to part with something the other enjoys for the sake of aesthetics. I guess I don't comprehend WAF. Good luck in whatever route you take.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited January 2006
    Options
    StinkyDog,If I lived anywhere close to you,YOUR 1C's would be MINE...But I don't,so my advice would be; at the very least,store these awesome speakers...you will NEVER find another pair of this condition for the money you are asking...

One day,you will be sorry you let them go...

BTW,those little Polk satelites sound good,but compared to the 1C's,they would sound like a **** in a whirlwind...
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2006
    Options
    shack wrote:
    She has her shoes, purses, jewelry and stuff around the house, I have my audio gear, golf clubs and cars. It all works out.
    Equitable division of floor space, if I ever saw one.... :D

Very nice looking pair. Price is fair for those in that condition, but I've only seen one pair of Studio 1C's crack the $500 barrier. Capped 1C's generally go for over $500 and often go between $600 and $700.

Difference is eye appeal. I and many others like the Oak Cap styling. If you had these, you just maight not be selling them... ;)

Welcome to the Club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Are those 1.2TL's still available, if he drops the price another time the Georgia buzzards may swoop in and clean up. ;) You never know what's circling overhead.

Seller e-mailed me today--sold--did you get them?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2006
    Options
    No, I didn't get them. Was hoping he would drop the price again. Guess I'll just have to listen to the SRS 2's a little longer.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2006
    Options
    StinkyDog wrote:
    Her dad got a HTIB that cost about $300.00 and she thinks they sound just as good. There's just no arguing with that kind of logic.

Hummm, something needs to go alright.........

and it's not the speaks! :D:D
  • StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    So is there anyone out there in the Pacific Northwest interested in these? If no one here is able/intersted in them I'll probably put them on Ebay in a couple days.
  • StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Since the local pickup situation seems to be limiting my chances of selling these, and I no longer have the original boxes, I was hoping for some advice on how I could ship them. Has anyone had to ship large speakers like this without their original boxes? If so, what did you do to pack them up? Also, who did you use to ship them and how much did it cost?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the necessary information to enable me to sell these. Thanks in advance!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2006
    Options
    well, it's only been 5 days since you posted these up for sale in here.. and it is right after the holidays. i think people may be low on cash flow... so you may want if possible wait a little longer in here to see if maybe someone else from the West coast might still be interested in em.

C'mon Polkies.. people are always looking for SDA's. suddenly no one wants SDA's anymore????
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I shipped a pair on Monitor 10's. Smaller than your 1C's, but my approach would be similar.

You're looking at $20 to $40 in materials (double wall boxes, sheets of 3M styrofoam board, corner protectors, peanuts, etc.). Peanuts are not good loose for big, heavy items, but throw them in some of the many plastic shopping bags you have stuffed in a drawer and they become effective pads.

Big cost swing depends on whether you have a good box supplier in your area, or have to go to U-Haul or UPS Store, where the mark-ups are big.

Here's a link to a good reference thread over at AK:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/packandship/

FedEx Ground is a good way to ship. Get an account for a 10% discount.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Can you find out shipping cost to 76248? Or just post shipping weight so we can determine shipping ourselves to wherever we are.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hey Stinky; one piece of advice; if you must ship them, a good idea is to take the drivers out and ship them separately. The 1B's I own were shipped (packed really good) and arrived with two bad drivers. A heavy slam to the box might damage the drivers/coils, and you know how all shippers handle boxes. Better not take any risks...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Sami wrote:
    Can you find out shipping cost to 76248? Or just post shipping weight so we can determine shipping ourselves to wherever we are.

Well the speakers weigh ~85 lbs each. Depending on which company (UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.) and method (ground, air, 2 day, etc.) you wanted them shipped I can look up some rates. You're also welcome to do it yourself if you'd rather, my zipcode is 98682 if you need that.
  • StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Hey Stinky; one piece of advice; if you must ship them, a good idea is to take the drivers out and ship them separately. The 1B's I own were shipped (packed really good) and arrived with two bad drivers. A heavy slam to the box might damage the drivers/coils, and you know how all shippers handle boxes. Better not take any risks...

Thanks for the tip, but I would rather not start taking apart my speakers. I've never done that and could see myself very easily **** something up. Also the person buying them might not want to have to assemble them.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Craters and Freighters will box them up and ship, if so desired. Cost would have to be determined.

http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/index.php

President of Club Polk

• StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Craters and Freighters will box them up and ship, if so desired. Cost would have to be determined.

http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/index.php

These guys would be perfect if it weren't for the cost. I got a quote of $433.00 to ship them to Texas. You can just about buy another set of 1Cs for that money. Too bad.
  • fshan
    fshan Posts: 110
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I would like to have them. guess I'm too new here for anyone to sell them to me.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2006
    Options
    wrong.....if they are available and you want them, and the price is what you are willing to pay, they are yours....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • StinkyDog
    edited January 2006
    Options
    fshan wrote:
    I would like to have them. guess I'm too new here for anyone to sell them to me.

Yeah, what HTRookie said. If you want them and we can arrange pick up or shipping, please let me know.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2006
    Options
    anyone ever buy these SDA's?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: