New Dodd ELP

Options
jfb4548
jfb4548 Posts: 168
edited January 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
For those who ask to see the new evo-Elp here it is! Sorry it's not the best picture but I'm to lazy to unhook it at the moment :rolleyes: (Oh yea, it came with two in's and two outputs).
ELP.jpg 361.7K
Post edited by jfb4548 on

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    edited January 2006
    Options
    how about a quick review of the new preamp?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jfb4548
    edited January 2006
    Options
    marvda1 wrote:
    how about a quick review of the new preamp?

It really does take some time to break in! It sounds very good. Warm, detailed and nice sound stage. Bass is good overall. Sound is very musical and liquid. I find I listen at both much higher levels and lower levels then I did with my SS pre. Low volumes have an incrediable sound stage. I do miss the loudness control of my SS pre. When listing at really low volume it gave the music a nice kick in the bottom end. But other then that no complaints!

It's build is 1st class. Gary is a true craftsman.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    edited January 2006
    Options
    what do you think of the dodd elp now?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jfb4548
    edited January 2006
    Options
    marvda1 wrote:
    what do you think of the dodd elp now?

I LOVE her! Can't say anything negative about it other then the damn thing caused me to kill one of my SL2000 tweeters :mad: Now I have to find some money to buy those RDO :rolleyes: Ok if I'm really being picky the volume control has a very little bit of scratch in it at around 1/2 and I do get a bit of hum with the EH tubes at 1/2 to 3/4 volume but with the JJ's its all good. I'm a happy camper 110%
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Other than making me want to try different tubes and maybe a different amp or some 1.2tls I am happy.
    John if you need another 2000 I can help.
    My volume control never gets past 1/4.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • jfb4548
    edited January 2006
    Options
    read-alot wrote:
    Other than making me want to try different tubes and maybe a different amp or some 1.2tls I am happy.
    John if you need another 2000 I can help.
    My volume control never gets past 1/4.

I never atcually play music much over 1/4 either, but just to hear what happins at higher levels I turned it up with both sets of tubes I own. The JJ's produce little more then a nice hiss, while the EH have some small amout of hum from 1/2 to 3/4. Nothing out of line and you sure wouldn't notice it at that volume if you were playing music. I think you'd be more worried about the blood pouring out of your ears not to mention the police at you door :) Thanks for you offer on the 2000 tweet, but I think I'm going to buy a couple of the new silks..A couple a month for the next 4 months maybe the wife won't notice ;)
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I am amazed that my wife seems to be more into what the next addition to my addiction sounds like. She never questioned the 8 rdos or the MITs and told me to check to see if Russ sold his 2.3s that she would drive down to Atlanta and pick them up if needed.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • jfb4548
    edited January 2006
    Options
    read-alot wrote:
    I am amazed that my wife seems to be more into what the next addition to my addiction sounds like. She never questioned the 8 rdos or the MITs and told me to check to see if Russ sold his 2.3s that she would drive down to Atlanta and pick them up if needed.

My wife ask if she could hold the door open while I took all my toys somewhere else :rolleyes: