Hot Glue Gun Question...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,968
edited January 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
How fast does the glue dry once its hit the surface?

Thank you!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2005
    Read the box for set up times. Dork.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited December 2005
    I dont have a gun... or a box...

I just need to know how much time I have when its all on the mdf, and how much time before its to hard to put something on it and not have a good bond...

Something a box probally isnt going to tell me...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2005
    Any of the ones I have seen was a matter of seconds (10 -15). See if you can demo one. A lot of companies will have certain tools on display that you can test.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2005
    The packaging on the hot glue that I use says it sets in 30-60 seconds. The variance in setting time depends on the temperature of the glue gun used.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    That's been my experience as well. It does tend to start "skinning over" in about 2/3 that time, and loses tack in the process.
  • VR3
    edited December 2005
    What if....

I had a hair dryer blowing on it from an angle...?

Would this allow more time?

This is looking trickier and trickier...but I think it'll be well worth it...
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    Give us some insight into just what it is you're bonding, please.
  • VR3
    edited December 2005
    Here is what I am trying to do...

Im trying to glue THIS port... in THIS spot... (after the panel is already on there)...

If I glue it on before the panel is on there - I risk the port not being at a 90 degree angle... and I also risk the glue causing the panel to not fit...
  • VR3
    edited December 2005
    a little different perspective...
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2005
    Are you cutting holes at each end of that port?

I'd say use Gorilla Glue or something like that to set something el permanente......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • VR3
    edited December 2005
    yes...

The panel under there isnt attached - its just laying where it will be...

It is abot 3" from the other panel... just one hole.

Hmm... gorilla glue... I will have to look in to that one - would regular wood glue work as well?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2005

Hmm... gorilla glue... I will have to look in to that one - would regular wood glue work as well?

Unless the port is wood / wood glue wouldn't work well. I think Brett's idea of Gorilla glue is best, any home store.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited December 2005
    What if I made a port out of wood on the lathe?? ;)

That would be so cool.... lol

You could even make it... FLARED!

Will take a looksy at Gorilla glue - I'm headed to HD today with my handy gift card!

Thanks for all yalls help! Mucho preciated!
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2005
    You could try some kind of epoxy... it'll stick to practically anything and give you more time than hot glue. (without the burns assoicated with those damn things too ;) )
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2005
    Hot glue will peel off of many surfaces... not at all good for permanent bonding. Get gorilla glue.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • VR3
    edited December 2005
    I just bought a hot glue gun...

For a few reasons...

1) It was insanely cheap... lol
    2) I found a gun that was rediculously small that would make what I want to do incredibly easy... so why not...

The reason why I wanted to use a hot glue gun - thats how I've always seen ports glued to the MDF in OEM designs...

If that dont work...I may have to anty up for the gorilla glue. But you dont get alot of glue for the money, thats for sure.

I plan to tack glue it in place (all where it touches wood to prevent rattles, of course), then just fill in the rest with caulk...
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited December 2005
    hot melt is probably best suited to glue it while it's in place, rather than apply the glue then slide it in. some glue guns have long tip attachments that allow you to get in to tight spots. some of the slowest setting hot glues i've found are in crafts stores, moreso than in hardware or home improvement depots.

maybe a little dab of gorilla just on the contact points before sliding it in, then fill the voids with hot melt after it's in place. that might give you the advantages of each glue and they would help correct each other's weaknesses.

)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2005
    Liquid Nails would be better suited for that job.

Gorilla Glue is crapola.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2005
    Good call on the liquid nails- just don't get it on anything that you care about. I was doing some stuff out on the driveway, the liquid nails dried on, and it actually pulled up a chunk of concrete when I tried to chisel it off.

Put another way- if I had to cut a house in half, I'd use a sawzall; if I had to put it back together, I'd use liquid nails.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited December 2005
    yup, liquid nails or pl-400 type construction adhesives would be a good bit stronger than poly and hot melt, but might be a bit messy for sid.

i'm not in the poly-glue is crap camp.

)
  • VR3
    edited December 2005
    Yes, I am fully aware of what liquid nails are capable of... hehe

We glued a post to a brick step because we couldnt mount it due to the concrete...

Thing has been there... 4 years now... lol
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    Liquid Nails would be better suited for that job.

Gorilla Glue is crapola.

YES. +1
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited January 2006
    Liqid nails dose not adhere to some plastics though, try it first.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited January 2006
    EPOXY

two parts go in, one part comes out.

There can be only one.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2006
    F1, I'm not sure what troubles you've had, but I will 4th or 5th or wherever we're at on Gorilla Glue. Good stuff. You don't need to use very much, though (and don't forget the water... i.e. read the directions). I used Gorilla Glue extensively for the construction of the 10ft^3 box I made for an 18" sub, including the installation of the port.

I think Liquid Nails would also probably work... you might want to score the outside of the port a little bit.

I would NOT use hot glue, especially on that PVC. It might seem to bond, but I betcha you could pick it right off
  • VR3
    edited January 2006
    Well... my situation is a bit different than your average port mounting... lol

In my situation, as you can see in the thread - I have two "supports" on two sides of the port (four total) --- and I am gluing it directly to those supports, PLUS the panel itself... + sealing it... so it is in there very strongly...
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2006
    Sid - what you see on new speaker construction that looks like hot melt glue is not. What it is is UV light curing production glue. It is what was also used on the older Polk monitor series. They slap the glue on the parts going down the production line, then hit it with something that looks like a black light, and presto the glue is cured and they can move on to the next assembly step. Production cabinet shops also use this kind of glue. Hot melt glue is a very bad choice for anything you want to be glued permanently! I would use the Gorilla Glue suggestion, or go with a good silicone seal glue.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2006
    Silicone II by GE from Home DEPOT will do........
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited January 2006
    You know you're a redneck when....

You use liquid nails to glue a post to a brick. :)

Duct tape 'ill fix 'er up real good now.