Line Array rig nearing completetion...

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited January 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
First of all, I got rid of the cheesy make-shift rack I was using, and picked up a couple of the QS&D closeouts. You can see the thread on the $74 (+ship) racks HERE.

Great build, went together like a charm, solid MDF shelfs, each spiked (+ bottom). They had 1 black set left, and several Cherry (shown), and Walnut - so it's not too late to order, and get your rack scene under control, if it isn't already. Buy with complete confidence.

I originally wanted black, but needed two racks, and they only had one. I think the Cherry looks decent - adds a little color to the room. Interested in your thoughts, pro or con, on that matter.

Gear:
Fred Arrays
Signet SP200 Sub
Audio Research SP-6 Preamp (mod)
Audio Research DAC-1 D/A Converter
Radii Audio MMS211 SET Mono Amplifiers (mod)
AMC CD8b
Sansui TU-417 Tuna (mod)
Polk Audio XRt-12 XM Tuna
Furman Rack Rider RR-15NL Power Strip
Elemental RCA
Tributaries Digital Coax
Audioquest RCA (sub)
Signal Cable Magic Power
Audioquest CV-4 (speaker)
Vibrapods / Sonic Boost (isolation)

Next stop, a Lead Balloon with a VPI sitting on top (to the left of the racks). Seeing as I have FIVE Pioneer 707 R2R's, I think I will throw one in there also on the bottom shelf. That's all folks, back to the Dire Straights re-masters, Beam Shooters, and MHL.

Cheers,
Rooster
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The cherry looks nice, too much black is....well, too much black and the AR's are a very nice addition. Now, the scary thing thing....I'm listening to the same DS cd. :eek:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Looks great. Excellent deal on those racks. Do they provide enough clearance for your gear? It could be the picture, but it looks like your AR components need to loosen the belts around their midsection, 'cause it's kinda tight.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    My thoughts exactly Jesse, on the black. Black speakers, black sub, black amps, black black black. It would start having it's own gravitational pull before too much longer. I think the cherry finish sets it off a little (or at least that's what I'm telling myself since I bought two).

On the CD, good music is good music, doesn't suprise me you are spinning it also. I just bagged all the re-masters for the hell of it. Why buy just one, you know?

Plenty of clearance height wise, the preamp is on isolation pucks. Now width wise, the AR gear is rack-mount style, and with the 'legs' on the stands, it can either sit just slightly behind or in front of the widest part of the leg - but it's far from cramped. I opted for slightly back.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Rooster-

Good looking setup.
    They contrast and compliment each other well.
    Adds a touch of class.

Dire Straits first album......."Six blade knife, do anything you want".
    One of my all time favorite albums.
    The second album, "communique" is golden also.

-Luc
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback Luc. I guess I should preface, these are NOT up to the level of Adona and the like. You want to go ultra hardcore, you need to keep shopping.

They can't compete on THAT level, but for an entry level rack, with some added iso features - solid MDF shelves, spikes, etc - they certainly hold their own. The closeout price is the cherry on an already delicious audio sundae.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2005
    Options
    They look great. Looks like they have a nice glossy finish to them as well.

You did good getting two of them. I like them better than in the black.

I am now in the process of convincing my wife that these will look good at our place and that both I, and the house, need at least one set. They aren't too tall either.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Very nice, my friend!!

Give me a bit of insight into the sub implementation and settings with the SET monos. Is it fed from the preamp or the amps? I've tried my SE OTLs and a sub both ways (since many claim you lose the character of the amp(s) when feeding from the pre). I'm afraid my listening area has far too much volume -- since I don't like it either way. :o
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Nicely done. Racks are thrifty, practical, with good appearance. I like the indirect lighting effect behind the speakers. Dig them mono's with the Kong tubes. :cool: How bout a night tube-glow shot....
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Russ,

I remember the Fred Arrays from one of the Texas Bottleheads meets, but I don't remember the specs (drivers/tweeter). Can you provide that?

Also found another version that was under construction. It looks interesting! Have you heard the finished product yet?

046.jpg
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Looks VERY nice Russ. What is the efficiency of the line arrays? How much is the Radii feeding them?

I also like how the second pair seems to be coming. Are they done? I take it they are going to be using a ribbon? Interesting...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I like the cherry/black combo, it breaks things up alittle--gets too boring when everything matches. Awesome rig Russ.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Line arrays are next for me, Danny at GR Reasearch has a nice DIY offering, looks great Russ.

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Excellent.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I've noticed that subs have gained a little acceptance in 2 channel rigs as of late. I assume the arrays sound sweet, but dont dig as deep as you like?

so far, the best example if a sub in a 2 channel that I have actually put ears on was Doro's rig at polkfest, But I 'd love to hear this one some day

I find Line Arrays very intriguing :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The woofs are Silver Flute's, the tweeter is the same one from the Bottlehead Straight 8. 95 db 1w/1m, they are tuned to about 52Hz, load up into the mid-40's in room. The sub is playing 45Hz and down. They are very tuneful, and don't NEED a sub, but I can, so I do. ;)

The Radii is actually running no where near it's potential. 211's are good for about 30 (single ended) watts. To get that much power, typically you will see a 300b and a 6L6 as front end drivers. This particular amp is putting out 12 watts, and uses a single 6BM8 for driver. The 6BM8 is kind of like an EL84/6BQ5, but with half of a 12AX7 on top.

Fred is always tinkering, I think he's hosting the next meet - if I can, I will attend.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Russ - very nice looking, and I'll bet sounding, setup. I think you did good by going with the cherry finish. Works very nice with your equipment and room. I have always liked the simple audio stand, and speakers setup, no TV and other crap plugging up things! I can't wait for the day when I can get back to having a setup like this. Nice work and have a Merry Christmas!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Great looking LA rig Russ!!

For those of your looking into something a little different than what we normally see here on the forum, you need to look into Danny's new kit from GR research. I know Russ is familiar with these models too from his friend.

Open baffle powered dual 12" design:
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Danny's stuff is SICK. I haven't gotten to hear that model Dennis, but Gary had lots of nice things to say about it.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Looks very nice sitting on the back wall, Russ.

I spent some time with Fred Arrays (maybe the same ones?) on two different occasions. Very nice indeed...

Can't wait to see the VPI in the mix.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The audio reasearch gear has my name all over it when you become tired of it....

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I personally really like the cherry. Adds real class to I'm sure some very classy gear. Cherry speakers would really do it for me.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Appreciate the additional feedback fellas. Looking at it today (sans Makers Mark), I'm liking it even more.

Henry, I'm sure we'll work a swap out down the road. Just keep that Quicksilver in good shape. Talk about a piece I regret 'letting go'. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    but Russ, the Quicksilver is waiting for the VPI Scout... are you telling me I have to start over??? ;>)

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    You can't have ALL my best gear Henry, only some of it. ;)
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    but at least you know its safe!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • hydrobud
    hydrobud Posts: 155
    edited December 2005
    Options
    i love that helmet cd.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Nice Russ.

I am going to do a SET rig, thinking though totally different than the array, I hear good things about the Omega Grande for speaks.

RT1
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The cherry looks very nice Russ (and so does the rest of your rig! ;) ).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Russ, so what characteristics do you hear out of a line array? It is my understanding that arrays keep the sound from hitting off of the floors and ceiling, in other words the vertical dispersion heads in a straight line towards you. How do they compare with other speakers you have had? Looks great!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2005
    Options
    You nailed it pretty much Chuck. Think big Maggies, but with dynamics.

They are one of, if not the BEST I've had in house, and I've had a lot come through rancho de audio.

Cheers,
    Russ