Muffled popping sound with PSW-303

Options
qryche2000
qryche2000 Posts: 2
edited January 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have been hearing a muffled popping sound with my 303 sub. I dont have my connections connected any different. I have not had the subwoofer that long. What could be the cause of this? Is something blown?

Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by qryche2000 on

Comments

• Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Hi, does the sub pop on its own or during certain notes while playing music/movies? Also, does the get quieter if you turn down the volume on the back of the sub or does it stay at the same volume regardless of the volume control?
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Not sure of this model. But if it has a Auto On switch.....try putting the sub in the Always ON and see if you still get the same problem.. Your receiver, or whatever you are using as a pre-out for the sub, may be sending a signal so low the sub isn't detecting it properly, thus causing the sub to turn off and on...

Scott
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    Options
    It was probably overdriven and now its blown.
  • qryche2000
    qryche2000 Posts: 2
    edited December 2005
    Options
    What would cause it to be overdriven? It seems to get softer when Iturn the volume down but it seems to pop on all notes.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Muffled popping sound? Thats what Polk calls bass...................get an SVS. :D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • merck
    merck Posts: 4
    edited January 2006
    Options
    qryche2000 wrote:
    What would cause it to be overdriven? It seems to get softer when Iturn the volume down but it seems to pop on all notes.

overdriven is caused by clipping or a flat on top and bottom of a sine wave. most amps has limiters and or clip leds. when it does have a clip light adjust the level just before they clip or flash. because when it clips alot you are actually sending dc voltage on your speakers coil and fries it.and if you have limiters i recommend switching them.
  • StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited January 2006
    Options
    In my expereience if you have BLOWN a speaker you know cause it sounds like total sh--. Some slight popping and crackling sounds like a problem with interconnects or perhaps even a power issue. Id try a 30 buck power surge like conditioner vs the 500 dollar monster center. Also I had a sub that would pop if I vacuumed near it or whatever, make sure there arent any other strong electronics by it or plugged into the same socket if you can. Of course if this is a new problem and didnt happen before it might not be the case but who knows.

Ditto on the getting an SVS comment above though :)
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Hello Gryche2000,
    Thanks for using our Forum. Here's a fool proof way to test to see if the sub-woofer is the cause:
    1). turn the volume all of the way down on the sub-woofer and remove all of the connecting cables/wires except the AC power cord.
    2). find the right and left RCA cables that go from your DVD player to the receiver and remove them at the back of the receiver.
    3). bring the DVD player over to the sub-woofer and provide AC power for the DVD player, then connect the right and left RCA cables from the DVD player to the corresponding right and left inputs on the sub-woofer.
    4). begin playing any CD (not a DVD, but a CD) and turn the volume up slightly on the sub-woofer. There should be plenty of clean sounding bass with no bad noises. Let the CD play completely through and try stopping and starting the player.
    Let me know the results.
    Regards, Ken, Polk