SRTs and 2 channel

Options
BobMcG
BobMcG Posts: 1,585
edited December 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Has anyone built a dedicated 2ch rig using the SRT's main speakers? (Read no HT duty or equipment involved whatsoever.)
Post edited by BobMcG on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I prefer the SDA-SRS or 1.2/1.2TL for music duty after hearing the SRT two channel demo at polk year before last. It was good, very good, not the same though.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BobMcG
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2005
    Options
    See, now my thoughts are exactly opposite. I think that the SRT mains would kick **** for 2ch.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I have to agree with Troy on this one. I was very impressed with the SRTs when reproducing music.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I think the SRT's kicked ****. It's the active subwoofer combined with the SDA soundstage. It pounds the **** out of you, more than the SRS with the fluid coupled sub radiator.

It's a matter of taste, I prefer more low end tactile presence.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited December 2005
    Options
    As impressive as the SRT's are, I'd take the SDA's for music as they seem to have a better balance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    My esteemed Polkfest atendees....how can we really answer this question based on <30 minutes of actual SRT experience? All I know is they both sound good, that's about it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I'm assuming it was set up properly and I have to say the bass was somewhat disjointed from the mids and highs. It took about 10 seconds to notice that. I also noticed the mids were not as real sounding. I know they had good equipment hooked up to them but to me it sounded as if there were cables or something which did not fully synergize. Of course all of this is nitpicking.
    madmax

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The first time it was a Frankendemo at best, everything was hooked up at the last minute. Melvin Taylor and the Slack Band sounded pretty good to me.

The second time was a little more thought out as Paul DiComo spent extra hours working on tweaks. I would imagine it was still a little on the loose side....you did see the actual room right? :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    My esteemed Polkfest atendees....how can we really answer this question based on <30 minutes of actual SRT experience? All I know is they both sound good, that's about it.

For the green team (we were green right?) by the time Stu actually got the demo going, it might have been 10 min.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2005
    Options
    The red team got in there twice ;)

Take it with a grain of salt....I thought they were pretty musical and would make a pretty bitchin' 2ch setup. Now, as to which would be better? That would REALLY depend on the individual but, given the chance to bag a pair of SRT's for mains.....I'd do it. If I decided that I prefered the standard SDA's, they ain't so rare that I couldn't get another pair.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BobMcG
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thanks for all the opinions on the STRs as 2ch mains from the guys who have heard them set up that way.

I guess no club members are using them in dedicated 2ch rigs?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited December 2005
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    The red team got in there twice

:D

BTW, I'd still take the set on the pallet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Forum member rlw has a two channel rig consisting of SRT front speakers bi-amped with two Krell power amps. You can find a discussion of it here:

SRT-Krell System
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Forum member rlw has a two channel rig consisting of SRT front speakers bi-amped with two Krell power amps. You can find a discussion of it here:

SRT-Krell System

Thanks Raife for the linky. Very interesting. Guess I didn't realize there was an expert system evaluater in our midst that's so good he can judge your system from hundreds of miles away. :rolleyes: :p
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • BobMcG
    edited December 2005
    Options
  • BobMcG
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Quite the read.
  • madmax
    edited December 2005
    Options
    RLW is my hero. He turned me onto LP's and helped me pick out my system. It's a damn shame he doesn't post here any longer.
    madmax