Remote Starts for a Manual.....

2»

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    shouldn't the car's systems detect that and shut it down, though?

but it would be a very nice thing to be able to set a reserve, too...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    fuel pumps are normally at the top of a tank... they rarely have fuel around them unless you're completely topped off full.

as far as running out of gas - i like that idea... maybe tie it into the back of the speedo and so some funny wiring and make it work... figure out what your reading is at say 1/20th of a tank, set that as a limit - that way you will have at least enough to get to a gas station. good idea dude.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Custom Jim
    Custom Jim Posts: 30
    edited December 2005
    fuel pumps are normally at the top of a tank... they rarely have fuel around them unless you're completely topped off full.

as far as running out of gas - i like that idea... maybe tie it into the back of the speedo and so some funny wiring and make it work... figure out what your reading is at say 1/20th of a tank, set that as a limit - that way you will have at least enough to get to a gas station. good idea dude.

I could be wrong but I thought they were at the lowest point in the tank. A freind of mine had a Ford truck and told me he had ran his out of gas and it did burn up the pump and on his it was at the lowest point in the tank. I guess it could be anywhere in the tank and it made sense to have it in the lowest spot with fuel around it to help with the cooling.

I have been working with a customer with a 56 chevrolet and he has an LS1 motor in it with Dakota Digital gauges and the gas tank sending unit from Classic instruments. The sending unit is basically a variable resistor and ranges from 0-30 ohms and a person could design a circuit to tag onto the sending unit wire between the tank and the gauge and then with something like dip switch setting set the fuel level sensor to match a low level in the tank and also have it to match the different resistance sending units. When I was doing homework on the 56, there were only about 6 different sending unit groupings of resistance (0-30 ohms, 0-90 ohms, 40-249 ohms, 73-10 ohms, 10-180 ohms, and 240-33 ohms) and like in the Dakota Digital control unit there are switches to match the gauge to the different senders by using 3 dip switches. A similiar setup could be made as a stand alone system for a remote start.

Another idea I had with the remote start systems is to have a carbon monoxide sensor built into the units or for under the hood to where if you do accidently activate the remote start (or if it is a system that automaically starts the car due to low voltage or temperature) the sensor would shut down the car and sound the alarm if the carbon monoxide level was too high. A lot of people do park their cars in garages that are attached to their homes and with a car running in the garage sometimes the fumes do get inside the house and it can be dangerous. I've leaned on my remote in my pocket sometimes and have had my system arm or disarm and if you are not within earshot or have a 2-way remote things can happen and you might not be aware of them.

Jim
    1973 Nova Custom,1974 Nova Spirit of America, 1977 Nova Hatchback,1973 Nova Pro-Street

http://hometown.aol.com/krystaldesigns/page1.html
    1974 Chevrolet Nova Spirit Of America Restoration