Polk Sponsored car in MODIFIED Magazine

2»

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    Thom wrote:
    Nothing's done to the outside yet because it's a daily driver and Brian lives here in the mid- Atlantic area. So there's no rush to get rims on it, etc. just so it gets beat up this winter. We'll do a few things to it in the Spring before shows start.

The one that's almost done has the front grill, new brake calipers, lowering springs, and 22" rims. It should have been done for shows that already passed, and the guy lives down South, so hopefully it'll still be in good shape when more shows start happening. Plus, it's SR so it's cooler.

It looks to be an AWD version, right??

You'd be amazed how well that ESP system works in the ice and snow. That car will go anywhere as long as it can clear it.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    Damn fine work fellas! I need to fly Thom down to KC to do the PolkStang. I can't ever find time to work on my car... :( At the rate I'm going, the "Polk My Ride" thread may not finish til Spring.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    UMMMMM.....I sell them, so I think I'm very aware of who builds them :D;)

Didn't mean to imply you were saying it was made by Chevy, lol. Was just pointing out a glaring inconsistency in the analogy that settled wrong with a Chevy diehard. But I must admit, it is a cool analogy, nonetheless.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    'nonetheless'
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2005
    Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    its cool because its a dodge.... (and cuz its got like 20 speakers in it)...

i saw that one a while ago on here... what stuck out for me was the door panel lower sections with the built in tweeter mount. that's slick stuff.

i'm not too keen on dropping a car like that. actually it depends on what the power train is. the 6 banger magnum, ya i guess i could see that... but the hemi 5.7 and 6.1 magnum's and charger's are meant to be RWD monsters that just blow doors off stuff. I'd rather see one done high gloss black or red or dark blue (with the appropriate logos and such for a show car) but with some gunmetal or chromed 5 spoke 18" muscle car rims (think Torquer II) and goodyear eagle 1 yellow letter (medium sidewall height) tires. throw a dual exhaust (a good one - mandrel bends, flow through glass pack mufflers, 3" pipe) all the way back and put the fear of god into ppl. it'd catch eyes.

at least a dodge is gettin SR's though. what are you guys lookin to do with it? any battle plan for speaker placement / quantity of sets yet? and how much power do you think you'll throw at the SR comp sets per channel?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2005
    SR6500 in front doors, like the silver one. SR6500 in rear hatch, like the silver one. 1/2 SR6500 in the dash for center channel. One SR124DVC in the right side panel. (2) C400.4, (2) C500.1. One C400 runs the door SR's, all active. The other C400 runs the center channel and the rear fill. One C500 runs the sub. The other runs a removable db212-2 box. Alpine head unit and processor.
  • Thom
    edited December 2005
    PolkThug wrote:
    Damn fine work fellas! I need to fly Thom down to KC to do the PolkStang. I can't ever find time to work on my car... :( At the rate I'm going, the "Polk My Ride" thread may not finish til Spring.

Don't feel bad, I don't ever get to work on my car, either.

And if you flew me down you'd need to put me up for a few months because I'm SLOOOOW.
  • Thom
    edited December 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    It looks to be an AWD version, right??

You'd be amazed how well that ESP system works in the ice and snow. That car will go anywhere as long as it can clear it.

Yeah, the big 6 and AWD. The new one has the big 6 but RWD. We don't let the sales guys spend enough to get the HEMIs, so they'll all be 3.5's unfortunately... :(
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Thom wrote:
    Damn, we built a Magnum a few months ago and the next one's almost done. Then a GMC2500HD after that. It's been sitting here since NOPI untouched. I just don't like GM's, so I'm in no hurry. :D Plus it takes a while to get everything before we start.

I'd like to do a new Ford Super Duty and jack it WAY up. But when the floor is above eye level I guess it wouldn't work all that well as a demo truck...

Holy Crap! I never knew that was in there!! I retract my ricer comment. ;)

Now THAT is a demo car. Very smooth and classy, practical too. You could easily drive that to a show on the weekend, then back and forth to work and the grocery store during the week. Plus its a Magnum which is super cool!

The best touch is how you mounted the tweeters. Those subtle things like that is what sets it off.

Talk about blending, it looks like it came from the factory with the DB's in it.

That is my new favorite demo car.

Id like to see a Dodge Ram just so I could get some ideas.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    3.5's ? - chrysler division motors. i'm surprised. figured they'd do 3.7 jeep's.

so whats with the removeable db series box?

Why not build a box that looks like the db box (and is also removeable just like it), but with SR's in it instead. that way the whole car matches.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005

so whats with the removeable db series box?

So people can see the new DB box. Kinda hard to promote it if it isnt in anything. ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, but why would you mix SR series subs with db series subs? Surely you at least won't be running them simultaneously.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Demo cars are rarely about SQ cause only one person can appreciate that at a time and usually at car shows you dont do much listening to the car except from the outside as you walk by and ooh and ahh. Demo cars are supposed to show off the products and be cool looking enough to get and keep peoples attention.

I think its a cool idea and would show off the DB 2122 quite well which is the whole point.

• Thom
    edited December 2005
    They won't run at the same time. These sales guys have to visit CC, Tweeter, independants, all with the same car. Not everyone carries SR, and some indys have multiple lines. It's just so people can hear a db box in a car when they might not have had the chance yet.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2005
    3.5's ? - chrysler division motors. i'm surprised. figured they'd do 3.7 jeep's.

Noel might know, but isnt that basicaly the same 3.5 they had since the cab forward cars first came out, (Intrepid, Concorde) say mid 90's? if so, thats actually a pretty good and powerful engine (needs to be to power a magnum)

I believe they used it (or just the block) in the plymouth prowler as well, tuned up a bit of course.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2005
    The 3.5 in the new cars is the same design that first came out in '98 in the '99 model year 300M and LHS. It later took the place of the 3.2 in the Intrepid and Concorde. The 2.7 is a 24v DOHC all aluminum motor. The 3.5 is a 24v SOHC all aluminum motor. In the Intrepids and Concordes it was rated anywhere from 232hp to 250hp. In the 300M it was rated at either 250hp or 255hp in the Special. It's also the same engine that was utilized in the Prowler.

If you ever get the chance to drive a Charger or 300, you'll be surprised at how well that heavy car will perform with the 3.5 in it.

The first generation LH cars (Intrepid, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker, Vision) had a 3.5 available, standard in the LHS and New Yorker and optional in the Concorde, Vision, and Intrepid. It was a totally different design and was only similar in displacement and that it was a SOHC 24v motor. The other engine at that time was the 3.3 v6, an overhead valve motor.

The 3.5 Charger, 300, and Magnum are not slouches in any way, but the HEMI is in another league.

The 3.7 v6 from the Liberty , Grand Cherokee, and Commander is the 4.7 SOHC V8 with the back two cylinders lopped off with. It is rated at 210 hp and replaced the 3.9 V6 in the Dakotas and Rams. The 3.9 V6 is a 5.2(318)V8 with the back two cut off. It was only rated at 175 hp.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    the 3.9 was 175 as of its last incarnation as a magnum engine... original 3.9's started in 87/88 model year and were pigs if i ever saw one (i had one - lol) -- 130-ish horse with TBI toilet bowl -- eek! that same year the 5.2 318 roller cam premagnum block with swirl port heads was rated at a pitiful 175 ... ahh the wonders of fuel injection and modern engineering! i wrote an article on the 3.9 for allpar -- http://www.allpar.com/mopar/39.html

but alas another chrysler junkie! i hath been educated now upon the wonders of the little 6's -- many thanks for the info :)