Monitor 7c

Options
hydrobud
hydrobud Posts: 155
edited December 2005 in Troubleshooting
i like to know if these speakers have something to protect them from getting damaged?

i recently acquired a pair and hooked them up to my nakamichi AV2,and it seems when the volume gets to a certain level it muffles up.when i lower the volume the highs come back in.the receiver i believe is 70 watt per channel.
im not all that educated about how much power goes where.any help would be much appreciated.if the receiver output is the problem what wattage would be recommended?

Thank you
your friendly neighborhood
hydrobud
Post edited by hydrobud on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2005
    Options
    There is a poly switch internal to the speaker that is intended to protect the tweeters. How loud are you trying to play them?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • hydrobud
    edited December 2005
    Options
    thats what i thought,i go about half way before they drop.just wanted to make sure i didn't get beat.

thanks
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    half way is probably a bit to far. You may want to keep the the max at no more than 11 o'clock. This will prevent your amp from clipping and ensure no damage to your 7's.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • hydrobud
    edited December 2005
    Options
    thanks again...

can't wait til sunday when i pick up my SDA SRS 2.3..

i hope they can handle the half way mark... :D
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2005
    Options
    "the halfway mark" is fairly meaningless in terms of power output, because ultimately it depends on the input signal. You're much more likely to damage speakers by underpowering them than by overpowering them. I'm not familiar with your receiver, though I believe that Nak should be pretty good equipment-- It wouldn't surprise me if you're pushing it beyond its limits. Most will tell you that you're going to need more power for those 2.3's. It's much easier to run into clipping than you think, and if you like to listen at high levels, you'd be much better off with >200 wpc than 70.

Jason
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Congrats on getting those SDA's.... but you'll need to be careful with that 70W amp; keep it low until you can upgrade.....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2005
    Options
    jcaut wrote:
    "the halfway mark" is fairly meaningless in terms of power output, because ultimately it depends on the input signal.
    Jason

Very good point that should be considered. I was being as general as possible considering the detail that was provided.

With the 2.3's a much beafier amp should be considered and is also great advice.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • hydrobud
    edited December 2005
    Options
    thank you,thank you,thank you !!!

i will utilize the info you guys gave me.. i won't push the SDA's until i have the right equipment.

i remember a friend of mine who purchased a pair of SDA's back in the mid to late 80's,although i didn't know they were SDA's til i seen a picture of them on this site.all i remember is i loved the sound of them puppies.then i start reading all the info on this site and i gotta tell you,you guys got my juice flowing,and like a junkie needing his fix,i just knew i had to have a set of these SDA's.it's been a very long time since i've had a decent sound system.

again thanks to everyone who's been so helpful.

Al
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2005
    Options
    You're gonna love it; I too had my first own SDA's only a couple of months ago, and could not get out of my mind going up in the food chain for the big boys....till I got them. They say SDA is not for everyone...well it is definitely for me.

I guess the only logical next step would be 1.2's......we'll see. :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I"m constantly amazed at how loud some people like to drive their speakers. Half way? for SRS's . dude you prob never want to drive them half way volume wise. unless you got some seriously under-powered amps.. i'd not advise you to push em that far.

9 O'clock is good level for me. if i want it loud. it go to about 10:15pm. Waaaaaaaaaa! but never 11 or 12 O'clock :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hydrobud
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I guess the only logical next step would be 1.2's......we'll see.

i have my eye on a set right now on audioweb.and i have'nt even picked up the 2.3's yet.i got bitten by the polk bug.what to do???

i'd not advise you to push em that far.

thanks to guys,i won't,now i know better..
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited December 2005
    Options
    hydrobud wrote:
    i have my eye on a set right now on audioweb.and i have'nt even picked up the 2.3's yet.i got bitten by the polk bug.what to do???

These are a scam. STAY AWAY They are located overseas per the seller and the pic was copied from an ebay auction.
    Jim

thanks to guys,i won't,n
    ow i know better..

These are a scam. STAY AWAY They are located overseas per the seller and the pic was copied from an ebay auction.
    Jim
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Be careful guy. The silver-coil domes are fragile little guys. If your receiver goes into clipping, they'll smoke (literally). I once lost a set of 2B's tweeters to a 70wpc yamaha that was pushed half way. They sounded great- right until the point that I smelled the plastic domes.
  • hydrobud
    edited December 2005
    Options

thanks for the heads up..i wouldn't make a purchase like that from an overseas seller anyhow.jersey is another story.

Be careful guy. The silver-coil domes are fragile little guys. If your receiver goes into clipping, they'll smoke (literally). I once lost a set of 2B's tweeters to a 70wpc yamaha that was pushed half way. They sounded great- right until the point that I smelled the plastic domes.

hey ron!! im really enjoying these puppies,thanks..and believe me i'm being much more careful now,thanks to the wonderful members of this site..i'd buy everyone a round but the nearest pub,im sure is to far for all of us....