Polk Audio SR Subs

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    brettw22 wrote:
    What was the sub that we all saw at Polkfest with the floating spider? It was in the room with the SR's, but I don't have a pic of that thing......

Yes. They also had one of the possible new generation of Momo subs in there as well.
    i was wondering if an SR component set would feature an 8" midbass at some point

Thats not a terrible idea. They already put out very impressive and smooth midbass but a dedicated midbass driver or, better yet, a 3 way system would do well I think.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2005
    I think you guys have enough on your hands trying to get a 2 way setup to sound right - don't bite off more than ya'll can chew. Besides... I think the SR's are fine the way they are. The 6.5" / 7" whatever the hell they are drivers can dig plenty deep enough to satisfy anyone's midbass desires. Some people just like to have dedicated midbasses though --- fine... get a set of SR components and order an extra pair of the 6.5" drivers. Position one set of 6.5's where you'd want your midbasses, cross them over appropriately - and then -- well you get the idea.

that dude (see i already forgot his name) with the wicked cool momo install - the guy that's gonna be reppin polk in st. louis now... he sorta did that --- he's got two mids and a tweet in each of his kick panels... the 6.5 does the midbass... the 5.25 does the mid... tweet = tweet. all he did was take 6.5" momo component midbasses and add them to the 5.25" comp set. it's a perfectly workable way to go.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2005
    It would be interesting to see a Polk Signature Reference 3-way set. Not sure it'd be very practical for Polk, though.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2005
    Mac, which was the one that looked like it had spikes for the basket? That thing looked insane......and at the time there was absolutely nothing near the spider on that sub.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    Josh wrote:
    That's the prototype I built. The actual finish is more like the SR component. They will be available in a 10 and 12 SVC and DVC. We have working off-tool prototypes being tested now. These things have some sick excursion.

I double-dog dare you to make a 15" version, but if you don't have what it takes, I'll understand. :p
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    brettw22 wrote:
    Mac, which was the one that looked like it had spikes for the basket? That thing looked insane......and at the time there was absolutely nothing near the spider on that sub.....

Im not sure which one youre talking about bro. These are the only two I remember.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    i'm glad they chose the speaker on the left... because the one on the right gives me a bloody headache. it is very attractive, very well designed artistically speaking. but i just don't think it gives the same "hi, i'm a mean ol nasty kick your **** sub in a very subtle package" impression as the other one.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2005
    where's the magnet on the right one?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2005
    I'm thinking they weren't finished with it...though it sure does look awesome...
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    The one on the right is the one I was thinking of......that thing was heavy as hell as it was, let alone without the magnet and other stuff on it......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they talking about both of those going into production? I thought one was Momo and the other was possibly the SR......
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    The one on the right was the one they were talking about with like a foot of Xmax on it. Was going to have dual motors I believe.....or something technical like that.

• brettw22
    edited December 2005
    It was something about the VC floating and not being attached to anything but instead relying on the push/pull of the motors above and below it.......

btw, i don't know if i'm using VC and spider to describe the same thing....w(ho)tf knows......lol
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    spider is the cloth "accordian" looking circle at the base of the cone along the piston.

the piston going in is wrapped with copper (voice coil or coils as it be). see pic of voice coil below...

the magnet is simply bolted to the basket with a former inside for the voice coil to move within.

as the coil is energized with power from the amplifier, it "pushes" or "pulls" itself in one direction of the other. for example, if its positively charged, the magnet will repel the coil, and thus the piston, and thus the cone - out. if its negatively charged, it'll pull the **** in.

"motor structure" refers to the entire assembly former, coil(s), piston and spider. you could also include tinsel leads in there if you wanted, as they're just extentions of the voice coil. not the magnet.

Now - that being said... what's a dual motor sub?

simple... it has two motor structures -- one magnet.

you have your subwoofer cone. then the basket. inside the basket is the spider and the top of the piston.

moving lower you have the magnet, inside the magnet is the former and the bottom of the piston with the voice coil attached.

most subs end here.

dual motor subs keep going.

the magnet is probably twice as thick... the piston keeps going down - and wrapped around it is a SECOND voice oil or set of VC's. if you're working with a DVC sub, then you go from having 2 VC's to having 4 vc's.

move to the base of the magnet and you've got another spider, in a half-built basket (just big enough to thold the spider in place).

the only advantages i see with a dual motor sub are 1) increased power handling - with the same type of coils. But the same thing can be accomplished with different coils and a standard design. 2) greater linearity throughout the travel of the piston/VC assembly within the magnet. that's just a guess though.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2005
    The on on teh right was supposed to be a prototype for an SR series sub. The one on the left was a hardcore MOMO prototype. It seems as though teh Harcore MOMO prototype is now the SR series sub.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    so... does xbl^2 count as dual motor? cause it's listed as dual gap, which is somewhat different, but i think with the same goals...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited December 2005
    pbd, what sub is that you have pictured there? It scares me... and yet, I want to touch it...
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    no idea what dual gap means dude :)

the sub in the picture is some "fuji-moto-taka-hashi" piece of junk. its a 300 watt off the wall no name brand sub.
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited December 2005
    ohh, but it looks like something out of Tron, and Tron is awesome :D
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • brettw22
    edited December 2005
    Thom said that these subs will be offered with either SVC or DVC. Is that an option (i could get a 12 with either a SV or DVC?) or maybe the 10" would have a SVC and the 12 would have a DVC?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2005
    is they over them with dual voice coils i imagine both the 10 and the 12 would be available in DVC and SVC .

some companies are doing dual voice coils only --- but its still ok... they're either dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm... so if you want a "single 4 ohm coil sub" you get the dual 2 ohm and wire it in parallel for a 4 ohm load. the idmaxes are like that. it gives the user the ability to run the sub at 1 ohm for big power amps.

i think that polk will either do just single 4's -- or single 4's and dual 4's -- either option would make sense.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited December 2005
    That looks sick.
    I'm redoing my system come the beginning of the year... If I wait awhile I assume these could be suspects in my search for replacements in stead of the MM's!

lookin' good.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    so if you want a "single 4 ohm coil sub" you get the dual 2 ohm and wire it in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

Dont ya mean in wire them in series? Parallel would present a 1 ohm load.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Dont ya mean in wire them in series? Parallel would present a 1 ohm load.
    yes he does. ;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    I know, I was just being a type-o ****. Austin used to fill that role but he's not around anymore.

• neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    yeah, where'd he go?

• audiobliss
    edited December 2005
    Good question. He had a pretty awesome install. And some pretty awesome posts, too. :(
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    I wonder where Joel went. I always liked him. He and I thought alike. Have a disagreement? Crack him over the head with a mag light. No more disagreement. :D

• exalted512
    edited December 2005
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2005
    Hey dipstick, that link is to this thread! ;)

• exalted512
    edited December 2005
    that was the point:D
    -Cody