A list of things to come.

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited November 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
So with 2006 just on the horizon I have decided to redo my stereo... polk style ****!
So here is what I will be doing.
Taking out the **** and the Kicker Comps, and the Kicker Amp.
Adding:
2 sets of MMC6500's
1 C400.4.
3x MM2104DVC's

the subs will be powered off of my hofonics amp at a 2 ohm load.
It will over power slightly I think so I may go with 4 as I know that they will not like the overpowering.

They will be in a sealed box in my bonneville.

Should be fun come next spring when it will be time to put this stuff in.

I'm really looking forward to returning to polk products because kicker sucks a fat ****...

Well I hope you all have fantastic holidays!
Please dress up in a sexy outfit and e-mail me pictures!
-Adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2005
    That's going to be some nice gear.

I see another Arc amplifier a little down the road, & some new components after that :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    Ooh, that's a real nice equipment list. You're on the right track! :)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2005
    Yeah, some people like to stray and have a quick fling with the "cool name brand" gear like DD or Kicker but they always come back to Polk. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited November 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Yeah, some people like to stray and have a quick fling with the "cool name brand" gear like DD or Kicker but they always come back to Polk. ;)
    hahaha.
    well... it was more of the fact of being able to try 900 dollar speakers for 150 bucks.

atleast I didn't buy eD... or if i did i didn't let you guys see it. :eek:

where's these naked pictures I asked for?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2005
    nice list of stuff.

I'm not going to be able to buy my helix amp this year which kind of bummed me out. I thought after my 3 months were up after working at the stereo shop i would get comission as i was told when i first started working there. Well, part time workers dont get comission until like 6 months or so.

Bull **** IMO, im the main installer and can do more than the full time guy whos only been there a month, but life sucks sometimes. I could be making at least 7.50 right now at my old job. I couldve been making that for the last 3 months but this job is 10x more interesting and once i start getting comission my pay will increase dramatically. Probaby an extra 100-200 a paycheck(every 2 weeks). I'm still stickin with the sub amp by the end of april part. I'll have enough money by then to buy the usamps de-3000:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2005
    too bad he has to get rid of an RE ****.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    you should buy it from him and put it in your truck
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    eh - i should, but i won't... i already found someone to provide lots of audio in the old truck at a very very very very very very (did i say very enough) minimal cost. for not even 3 bills i got a 4 channel, a 2 channel, 2 6x9's, 2 5.25's, a 3 way active crossover, 350 watt sub, more cables, a cap, and a box of left over relays (just to keep for future use). i hauked the set of momo 6x9's already as well as the sub. Everything is series and brand matched. It's all in a big friggin cardboard box right now, but it's about 1,500 bucks worth of goodies. Not too shabby for a tired old truck.

We be rollin...
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    IVe pretty much got the system I want. All Ill do from here is tinker with the stage, speaker placement and installation some.

I do plan to eventually go all Polk so Ill be snagging a 400.4 and 300.2 in the future. First I gotta buy tires tho! My Michelin LTX M/S have 67,000 miles on them! The amazing thing is they still have a good deal of tread left on them, enough that I bet I see 75,000 miles! These are the longest lasting tires Ive ever had but they ride like a buckboard....and theyre nearly $200 a tire! Ill be going with some Firestone Destination LE's for a mere $130 each. Still comes up to $660 out the door!

....boy, talk about a derail! How the hell did I go from Swerve's system plans to Fireston tires?!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    wimp - get real tires...

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's -- they're like 90 bucks each and i absolutely love them... the most comfortable ride i ever had in a truck, and they handle on ramps at 45 mph just fine (little yellow sign says 25). They're fun for doing mini-burnouts in too. nice smooth summer tire. don't even think about using them in snow - they're "all weather" but whoever put that on the sticker was on crack... they're a pure summer tire if i ever saw one.

If you want all weather - get the Dueler AT's -- they're physcially better and also look better than the DLE's.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Well, Dad got home from having the coolant flushed out of my Jeep and says he also got the tires replaced. They were in dire need of replacing, 'cause you could rip 'em loose at will in the rain. I go out and look at the tires and they're Bridgestone Dueler H/T. How's that compare to the Dueler AT's you recommended?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    heh heh heh - you mean H/L's -- I used to have HL's on my other truck -- they were very close to the firehawks in performance --- worthless in snow - absolutely phenominal in summer though - great on wet pavement - never slipped in the rain, even with the foot to the floor.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    I was fixing to get real mad since it's time for snow here, but I just went out and checked again, and they're Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Guess that means you don't know about them?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    hmm - never seen those before -- they must be fairly new then. all the dueler tires are good, really good. some are better for various seasons, but if they appear to have an all season tread then don't sweat it... its a good line of tires.
  • swerve
    edited November 2005
    I'm keeping the ****. Just in the closet.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2005
    My dad had Duelers on his '00 F-150 and they were OK at best. He has the BFGoodrich A/T's in a heavy duty form and they seem to be spectacular.

The tires is used last year were Pirelli Scorpion A/T's and they were excellent in all kinds of surfaces from rain and snow to mud and sand. They were fairly quiet and offered a good deal of performance on the dry roads too. They wore out quick but then again, they are truck tires and not meant to be driven on like a Corvette. But hey, when you can take the turns that fast, it's hard not to!

Anyhoo, I have the Pirelli Scorpion STR's this year and I hate them already. I wanted the A/T's but the tire shop screwed me and didn't offer to fix it. So they lost my business. i only hope these STR's are half decent in the snow. Rain traction is OK but dry traction sucks wind. They will corner pretty good though. They will probably go up in a cloud of smoke at the end of the season though. Gotta find me a new tire guy before that too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    i've found that my opinion of a tire is often determined as such...

summer tires:

Quality = (coolness of raised white letter sidewall)^2 + (lack of gnarly tread pattern) + (availability in a nice wide stance)

winter tires:

Quality = (cerrated looking gnarly tread pattern)^2 + (one way rotation) + (only available in black sidewalls) + (big beefy wide footprint)

.... notice how scientific and completely accurate that is? i really don't know a damn thing about tires. i honestly choose them based on "did i have a good experience with the last brand, or did they suck?", "do they look sweet?", and "do they come with shiney white letters?"

ya... weak... i know.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    And to think that, there for a minute, I actually cared what you thought! :eek: :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited November 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    And to think that, there for a minute, I actually cared what you thought! :eek: :p
    lol

I had the same michelins on my old truck that mac has, DAMN good tire, sucked on wet pavement, but ive yet to find an a/t or all weather tire that i like on wetpavement. GM def. has a weight problem (or lack thereof) on the back end.
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    every truck is going to have a problem with lack of rear end weight - the longer the bed you get the worse -- an extended cab 8 foot bed handles in snow like a rwd cadillac. trust me... i know!

the caddy also doesn't have posi - or even limited slip of any variety -- **** will spin a wheel for an hour - the rpm's of the motor going up and up if you're stopped at a light and one tire is on dry pavement andthe other is on ice... it's kinda scary.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    Ill look into those Firehawks.

I dont want an all terrain tire again, I want something along the lines of the Michelin Cross Terrain, Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, Goodyear Fortera and the likes. My truck rides like a buckboard and those Michelins transmit every seam or bump in the road right to my ****! I dont do any offroading nor do I do much sprited driving so a nice, comfy touring tire is what Im after. If I had the $900 to spend on a set of tires I would get either the Cross Terrains or Alenza's but my credit if fried so I have to save up the cash and the $600 Firestones are more practical. I just dont trust Goodyear enough to ever buy anything of theirs.

• exalted512
    edited November 2005
    yea, almost makes me want a car...almost.

Like my friend with a WRX says, "its awesome to hit 5k rpms after flooring it from a stop light on a wet road and never spin a tire"

One thing is for sure, I'd hit 5k rpms a lot faster than he would on a wet road...
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited November 2005
    I'd hit the wet road faster than you could hit 5k rpms.
    ponder that my young jedi!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    to hell with 5k rpm -- my 360 magnum beat the **** out of the 2.5 RS impreza ex-chicky has. and that was draggin a 4,800 pound truck as opposed to what is probably an 1800 lb car.

TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS

oh and here's your tires son... (see attached thumbnails -- bitchin eh? they come in big **** honkin 17" rim sizes... ooo they're soo nice! just get lots of that bleach white **** to clean off the letters and keep them rollin in "red neck bling")
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    when i got tires for the 88, i was short on coin, and had to get whatever i could, so i got the "poor man's firehawk" --- aka the pep boys "Futura GLS Super Sport" -- tread pattern is very close to the firehawk, and the lettering is of the same font - you'll see a lot of cars at classic shows with the futura super sports doing burnouts instead of firehawks... the futuras are like 35 - 55 bucks each... the firehawks range from 65 to 95

oh and here's what they look like on a dodge truck - bling bling...
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    ROFL You think that Subaru only weighs 1800lbs?! I bet you it weights at least 2500-2700 pounds.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • swerve
    edited November 2005
    My bonneville kills you all.
    **** bring it.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2005
    ya well i did your sister... in the bonneville... how about that!
  • swerve
    edited November 2005
    I think you have mistaken my dog for a woman...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2005
    when i got tires for the 88, i was short on coin, and had to get whatever i could, so i got the "poor man's firehawk" --- aka the pep boys "Futura GLS Super Sport" -- tread pattern is very close to the firehawk, and the lettering is of the same font - you'll see a lot of cars at classic shows with the futura super sports doing burnouts instead of firehawks... the futuras are like 35 - 55 bucks each... the firehawks range from 65 to 95

oh and here's what they look like on a dodge truck - bling bling...

I have to admit, they are good looking tires. But arent they a car tires in truck tire sizes?

What Im looking for is long treadwear and as comfy a ride as possible. Thats what I think the DLE is supposed to be, Firestone's answer to the Cross Terrain and Forterra. Right?