13»

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    wow...a stellar night turned fugly..

bummer..

Mark hope all is well...
    Blue ..get well bro..stay in bed and do plenty of fluids..

Jesse, good call bro...don`t even attempt it if your brakes are iffy..

Chuck..have a great time..!!
    Take some pic`s so we know what everybody missed..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    WOW! All I can say is WOW! I had a few reservations because this style of music is not my mainstay but let me tell you, Chris Duarte ROCKS! His drummer is super heavy duty awesome too. This is a 3 piece outfit that knows how to do it. First thing in the morning I'll order every CD they have out. This show had two 90 minute sets and every song had a special impact. Well, ok, there was one song that I didn't care for because it had a weird jazz sort of time signiture which I really didn't get. There were times when I went into a daze with my mouth hanging open in total disbelief after which I realize I'm totally engulfed. It's been a long time since any concert I've been too caused this sort of reaction. The sound quality was really good too. Rams head has a nice system and the band had everything set correctly as well.

The seats, btw, could not have been better. Mike knows how to get the good tickets. We were in the absolute best position to fully appreciate the performance. There were no better positions in the house.

The only downside is that out of 8 people only 3 showed up, Strongbad, Waldecker and myself had two full tables to ourselves. The rest of the place was filled. Hmmm.... It was Doro's idea, Mike set it up and Jesse harassed me to go. Funny, they didn't show! Well, it's late and I'm spent so I'm off to bed (I'm one of those early to bed people) so any other comments will have to wait until tomorrow. What an awesome experience! Thanks all for seeing the oportunity and setting it up for us!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    That good?

I'm cd shopping tomorrow anyway. Think they have anything on vinyl?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2006
    Chuck nailed it! HOLY SWEET JESUS!!! This man is a genius on guitar! The other 2 bandmembers shined something fierce also, especially the drummer. That guy had some serious game going on!!!

The most memorable song of the night (set 2, song 3) was a cover he did from the group called "Soul Coughin" entitled "Screenwriters Blues L.A." See guys, I remembered. How could I possibly forget what had to be one of the most mesmorizing performances I've ever witnessed! This cover is where the drummer shined. He stole that part of the show, but Chris amazed the **** out of everyone with his "Jim Morrison-esque" poetic/vocal performance. I sat there in a daze!

Guys, I wish the entire forum could have been there to witness just this one song!

REALLY! I had no idea it was going to be this damn amazing!

Great to see Chuck again and to meet William. Great guys! Thanks for the company.

I'll post a link later. Off to work....(so damn tired! Will O.D. on coffee all day)

Thanks to the gents that set this up. Sorry you missed it!

John
    No excuses!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2006
    NOTHING better than a good live show, sounds like it was a good time for the three of you.

I bet there was some whispers in the room,

"who are those guys? I don't know they must be important, theres only 3 of them and they got the 2 best tables in the place"

too funny
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2006
    Go here to order CDs.

http://www.chrisduartegroupfans.org/

Seriously, find a CD with Screenwriters Blues on it and BUY!

I'm still in awe at what i experienced last night. Total F-ing magic!

John
    No excuses!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2006
    Well, I'm glad some of you made it and enjoyed Chris. I think he's a pretty unique talent.

My apologies all around. I got blind-sided by the flu truck. Our 5-year old wasn't feeling well Monday, so I took a hit for the team and stayed home with him. By nightfall, we were both spiking in the 104-106 temperature range. Except to use the facilities, neither one of us got out of bed for 50 straight hours. Sandy bundled us up for a trip to the doctor this morning (first time we could make it without an ambulance) and we were confirmed as influenza sufferers. The Doctor thinks we still have 3 to 5 days of misery to endure. I'm actually feeling somewhat better. Mitchell looks and feels hammered.

We have excellent tickets to the Nighthawks at the Ram's Head on Saturday. That is probably not going to be doable. So, if any of the crew is interested in those, give me a holler. Wish I could have pulled the last gig off and got a chance to meet William and John.
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    Get well soon Mike. Thanks again for organizing this. I'm very sorry you had to miss it. I was looking forward to everyones company.

Oh, and Jesse, I snuck out of here at 3:00, went out to eat and to pick up some stuff and headed over to Annapolis. Strongbad told me you were trying to get ahold of me but the show was just starting as I walked in. Sorry about that man, I never even thought to check my messages or anything. I will next time.

John, you made it to work that early? Damn, I was still asleep 4 hours after that. I must be getting old.

Mark, well, you are still an assless chap but we still like you. :)

madmax

• madmax
    edited February 2006
    Half.com looks like a good place to buy his cd's

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited February 2006
    Chris Duarte and the boys had everyone in the room mesmerised.he was a Guitar virtuoso par excellence. Jimmy Way the drummer played with a style that reminded me of a cross between John Bonham and Stuart Copland this guy has mad skills! i wish everyone could have made it to the show.the Bass player who was very good also, came up to us after the show and started talking to John Strong about an Official bootleg recording of thier live shows that includes "screenwriters blues L.A.".the drummer was absolutely stunning on this song and Chris Duarte did a spoken word delivery that was really tripped out. i would have to give this live show a 10 +. thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • madmax
    edited February 2006
    I just ordered all of Chris's CD's I could find plus the original version of Screen Writers Blues. There are 8 of us who NEED to hear this stuff. We supported him so I'm sure this is ok. Email me. Maybe we can pass it around for another listen or something. What I really want is a video copy of Rams Head. I saw the guy making it, I'm sure we can buy it. Lets get together here.

What an awsome show of talent. I think we saw their true souls on this one! That drummer man, I want to see him again. This was an example of rock and roll innocence. A true example of giving what they had, and it was a lot! I'm not positive but I think all those people sitting behind us were their families. Unless I'm mistaken, that made all the difference in the world. This was truely a memorable experience for them, and us.
    madmax

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2006
    I'm glad to hear everyone had a great time. I had the brakes repaired today. Kinda strange really, the inside pad on the drivers side was gone! All the rest were still in good shape. All I can think is that I wasn't suppose to be there and Chuck, no worries.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2006
    Well, I'm up for a few minutes from my latest 14 hour nap. If there's an up side to this, I've dropped 18 lbs in 4 days.

The reviews of the show have me smiling, and that's a hard bargain to come by around here lately. When I picked this show I wasn't sure everyone could get into Chris. He just goes there and not everyone can make it (if that makes any sense -- temp still 102.) He has a stronger jazz influence than SRV with the same level of balls to the wall abandon in his play. I played along with "Romp" awhile back on the guitar and was exhausted (and grinning) when we were done. :)

I'm in on sharing anything that's available and would really appreciate it. I don't know much about gear, so music is what usually brings me here.

Since you all got off on Jimmy Way, here's a very serious heads-up. Do not miss Danielia Cotton or Johnny A. if they're playing anywhere near you both have rhythm sections that are stunning. In fact, if someone wants to try this again, Johnny A. is at the Ram's Head in April (I believe) and we're in if you guys are.

I'm staggering back to bed now. My goal is to make the Nighthawks gig Saturday night. Yeah, I like music that much.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2006
    Get better soon bro!

Put me in for Johnny A.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited February 2006
    I don't know much about gear, so music is what usually brings me here.

You're delerious, go back to bed... :rolleyes:

madmax

• madmax
    edited February 2006
    I just receive my copy of Romp, by Chris Duarte. It has very good performances with less than perfect recording. Still, very good. Having heard the man live I have to say it is a disappointment. How can I put this? Lets say your dad drives the Daytona 500, you watch it and are very excited about the ride home. OK, so you are on the interstate doing 57 in a 55mph zone. Boring after everything you just witnessed. A truck passes, gets in front of you and slows to 50. You stay there. At this time you are experiencing what I feel with Romp. Man, this is minor league compared to what we witnessed live. Everything is slow, very slow, and does not show even 1/10th of the mans excitement and talent. Good music, yes, but... Man, he let go during the show and we witnessed some real soul and talent. He is holding back tremendously on the recording. Trying to be perfect and mainstream I guess. I guess we just happened to be lucky enough to get a piece of his inner being or something. I have no doubt we got a piece of his soul that night! Nonetheless, I look forward to hearing his other recordings.
    madmax