ELP Tube Preamp suggestions (Dodd vs. Dared)

Options

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The Dodd doesn't require any mods to sound good, or do what it is supposed to.
    The Dared dosen't "require" any mods either. Not sure where you're going with this.
    What's with the 'roll cage', and the fake **** wood trim?
    A little added protection for the tubes for those that may need it. Fake Trim? No, real wood, not a veneer. Maybe not oak, cherry, or walnut...but real rood none the less.
    Go hifi, or go midfi, it's entirely up to you.
    Whats the dividing line?

RT1,
    As far as being Made in America, thats fantastic. It's too bad that more people don't pay attention to that, but then again Polks aren't made here either.

The Dodd setup gets a lot of good reviews here, I wish I could listen to one locally and see what all the hype is about. Maybe someday...

The Dared pre is a great value for anyone wanting to experience tube gear without breating the bank. Just like any audio gear the beauty is in the eye and ear of the beholder.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Don't get too puffed up Frank, I just don't like your preamp, that ok?

Yeah HT, I'm jealous. I wish such a peice of fine hifi would pass through here so I could be blessed with the pleasure of using it, if only for a short time.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Yeah HT, I'm jealous. I wish such a peice of fine hifi would pass through here so I could be blessed with the pleasure of using it

see? I knew it :):):)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Not puffed up at all Russ, I'm still wearing my Happy Face smilie this morning.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2005
    Options
    :rolleyes: Guess if its not what ya like it's ****! I think the dared looks cool.. I liked the dodd also, different strokes.. doesnt make one better or worse.. I think i'll try a dared when i get back into tubes, like all my gear it may change or go who knows
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Frank,

As far as the Polks although they are not assembled here, they are designed here, tested here, there are Americans working here for them and Americans oversee the quality control. Yes, some of the Asian companies employ Americans here but they are still Asian Companies whose profits ultimately end up in Asia.

I suspect the Dared sounds pretty good based on the reviews here, I know the Dodd does, for my outlined reasons I will stick with Dodd for an entry level pre, although I suspect a BAT or ART will one day be in my life.

RT1
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2005
    Options
    RT1,
    Yes I know.
    Made in the good 'ol USA doesn't mean it's a 100% American made product anymore though. "Assembled in" might be a better way of phrasing it these days.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I hope nobody took my post wrong, because it wasn't meant as a bash, at all. I was not saying that the styling was bad either, just very "auto-ish" in it's nature. I try not to bash anything, much less something I've not even heard. The Dared and AES were pres I was considering , until Hoosier made me a deal on the MLP, that I could not refuse.

I'm still waiting to set up a time with you HTR for you to bring that Dared over so we can do an A/B comparison with the ELP. Give me a ring, Ricardo.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    I hope nobody took my post wrong, because it wasn't meant as a bash, at all. I was not saying that the styling was bad either, just very "auto-ish" in it's nature. I try not to bash anything, much less something I've not even heard. The Dared and AES were pres I was considering , until Hoosier made me a deal on the MLP, that I could not refuse.

I'm still waiting to set up a time with you HTR for you to bring that Dared over so we can do an A/B comparison with the ELP. Give me a ring, Ricardo.

Noel,

Your post was not taken wrong :)

On the visit......if everything goes well, I will have to drive to Illinois soon (Eureka, IL, if you want to guess.... :D:D ); hopefuly I can make it work on a day you have free time, and stop by on my way back......will let you know when I confirm this.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Cool down boys :)
    I was all up for Dodd initially and I was very close to ordering it.
    But somehow my conversation with Mike(TweekGeek) & Gary was misunderstood by Mike.
    I had emailed Gary about giving me the same deal that he gave to CP members in Apr 05 and Gary agreed to that and that email was CC'd to Mike. But somehow in the end Mike did not honor the same deal so I was pissed off. :mad:
    There were too many email back and forth so I think something fall thru cracks. So I don't blame nobody :(
    Moreover I did not want to wait for 3 to 4 weeks.
    So the choice was made for Dared for following reason
    1. It has a remote
    2. Immediate availability.

There is no mod done to the Dared i ordered but the guy was nice enough to give me the option of putting the mod if I wanted.
    The guy replied my every email and he also helped me figure out how to get the HT Bypass switch mod done on the Dared.
    The mod was possible but in the end I wanted it un altered.

So here I go again... Any suggestion on the a CDP
    BTW I sold my Denon 2900 b'cos of the tube itch...

HEY I also saved $25 on eBay by using the coupon code posted by DPOWELL in the Flea market. Thanks DPOWELL

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2005
    Options
    OK, get a Dodd CDP! :)

RT1

Good Hunting though.
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    OK, get a Dodd CDP! :)
    What a Dodd CDP? :)
    R u serious? Post a linky if its not a joke

Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited November 2005
    Options
    i like the dared....might just get me one after the holidays ;) i like the dodd, too...but no remote...has anyone got any info on the entry level pre amp from antique sound labs? same price point as the other 2. i'm also considering the tube buffer, i forget who makes it. x can10 or something. same price as the above pre's. however, they say for best sound to get an outboard pwr supply, for the same price. i've heard good things about the buffers on this forum
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    sda2mike wrote:
    x can10 or something. same price as the above pre's. however, they say for best sound to get an outboard pwr supply, for the same price. i've heard good things about the buffers on this forum

Musical Fidelity
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • sda2mike
    edited November 2005
    Options
    (ed mcmahon voice here) you are correct oh wise one! :D
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2005
    Options
    What a Dodd CDP? :)
    R u serious? Post a linky if its not a joke

Well yea it was a joke, but hey I bet he could build one, just not his bag.

RT1
  • jfb4548
    jfb4548 Posts: 168
    edited November 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Musical Fidelity

I think the X-Can V3 is a tube headphone amp, while the X-10v3 is the tube buffer and the X-PSU v3 is the outboard power supply to run them along with the X-DAC v3 which of course is the DAC. But never the less they are all Musical Fidelity creations :)
  • sda2mike
    edited November 2005
    Options
    jfb4548 wrote:
    I think the X-Can V3 is a tube headphone amp, while the X-10v3 is the tube buffer and the X-PSU v3 is the outboard power supply to run them along with the X-DAC v3 which of course is the DAC. But never the less they are all Musical Fidelity creations :)

you sir, are correct as well!! ;)

anyone have this trio of musical fidelity products?
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited November 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    You are all just jealous....The Dared is beautiful and sounds celestial...

Good Choice malikarshad....

:):):)
    i think it is a sharp looking preamplifier also. i have never heard the Dared so i guess i will have to take someones word for it when they say it sounds celestial. thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    :):):) Just got the Dared over the weekend & boy it has been an awesome & tiring weekend.
    The first time I opened the package I was surprised but it's size (opposite feeling of getting a SVS sub) ;) . Its a tiny little preamp :D But when I hooked it up it was a total different story.
    I did some testing with my Cary Audio amp with LSi15 and I sounds so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
    But in my excitment of hooking up the preamp i blew up my FR channel of outlaw 770 amp. :mad:
    So I did not get a chance to test Tube pre + SS amp.

But its a keeper.
    I also replaced the premap with Mullard's 12AT7. IMHO the chinese tubes did not sound as sweet as the mullards.

I'm so glad I bought the Dared over Dodd because I do not have the patience of waiting for months. No offense :)

More later...when I get my Outlaw amp fixed.

Thanks all for your opinions, suggestions and inputs.

:):)

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Glad it came together for you, and you're happy with it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Congrats; agree on the Mullards vs. the Chinese. I also got a pair of Siemens; only heard for an hour or so, but I did not like what I heard...maybe it's just a matter of burning in, but the Mullards sounded great from the first second. The Siemens IMO had the lows so much accentuated that it made it tough to hear vocals in what I was hearing (Madeleine Peyroux).

Enjoy it!!!!

SOPA
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Im gunna wait on Gary, maybe the Dodd will be here before my hearing leaves. Whats three more weeks when its been two thousand six hundred and ninety four without one.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2005
    Options
    sda2mike wrote:
    i like the dared....might just get me one after the holidays ;) i like the dodd, too...but no remote...has anyone got any info on the entry level pre amp from antique sound labs?

I have an ASL AQ2004DT which was ASL's entry level pre a few years ago. Uses a single 12AX7 and a pair of 12AU7. With the right tubes, it makes higher priced SS pre amps sound like poo. It retailed for $299 which is a steal for the kind of sound you get. Probably why you don't see used ones for sale that often. Not sure what the newer models are like but ASL makes excellent gear for the $.

Maurice
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2005
    Options
    read-alot wrote:
    Im gunna wait on Gary, maybe the Dodd will be here before my hearing leaves. Whats three more weeks when its been two thousand six hundred and ninety four without one.

Wee be gettin a bit long in de tooth der Reads. Patience is a virtue. :)
    Nice to have another in the over half century club, sometimes its a bit lonely here. :(

RT1=2666
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Wee be gettin a bit long in de tooth der Reads. Patience is a virtue. :)
    RT1=2666
    Yes RT i also believe in patience ;) but in my case Mike TG screwed up. I had ELP at TG in the shopping cart for so many days while I was waiting for Mike and Gary to figure out my query but in the end it turn out against me. :mad:
    But now TG is not even offering ELP as per my understanding from the other thread and I consider myself lucky to get the Dared.
    I might have liked the ELP as much as like the Dared since this is my first tube preamp.

One question when I turn ON the preamp THERE IS GLOW OF LIGHT(FIRE) IN THE PREAMP TUBES (12AT7) FOR A SECOND. Is this normal?
    Last night I A/Bed Mullard & chinese again and found out there is hiss and noise when I use the chinese tube. Does it mean the tubes are bad or its just the characteristic of the cheap tubes?

• Ricardo
    edited November 2005
    Options

One question when I turn ON the preamp THERE IS GLOW OF LIGHT(FIRE) IN THE PREAMP TUBES (12AT7) FOR A SECOND. Is this normal?

I've also seen this happen, but only in some of the T7 tubes....weird. Chinese don't do it.

SOPA
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Malik-no prob hey I understand your decision, especially when waiting for your first pre to get that oh sweet tube sound. Errr no though you should not be seeing fire?? you mean you see a flame?? or just a glow?? The glow is fine, its the musical notes getting together :). No there is alot of heat in there, charged plates attracting and repelling electrons which creates the glow as they do their dance, but no fire.

Glad you are diggin it, I was just funnin a bit with Reads as we are both about the same age.

RT1
  • crossroadazn
    crossroadazn Posts: 69
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Yes RT i also believe in patience ;) but in my case Mike TG screwed up. I had ELP at TG in the shopping cart for so many days while I was waiting for Mike and Gary to figure out my query but in the end it turn out against me. :mad:
    But now TG is not even offering ELP as per my understanding from the other thread and I consider myself lucky to get the Dared.
    I might have liked the ELP as much as like the Dared since this is my first tube preamp.

Last night I A/Bed Mullard & chinese again and found out there is hiss and noise when I use the chinese tube. Does it mean the tubes are bad or its just the characteristic of the cheap tubes?
    If you see fire likes thunder strike then reinstall the tubes make sure they are well fit in the sockets. Otherwise the rectifire tube ( 5Z4 or 12AT7 ) could be bad. Happy listening with tubes :) .
    Cross.
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    If you see fire likes thunder strike then reinstall the tubes make sure they are well fit in the sockets. Otherwise the rectifire tube ( 5Z4 or 12AT7 ) could be bad. Happy listening with tubes :) .
    Cross.
    I rechecked it and its just a glow of light in the preamp tubes.
    What's the function of Recitifier tube in preamp?
    Does changing it to a better one will affect the SQ?