ELP Tube Preamp suggestions (Dodd vs. Dared)

Options
malikarshad
malikarshad Posts: 527
edited November 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
All the reading of the Tube Preamps on the forum has got me all jacked up & I think I'm ready to talk a plunge on the Tube Preamp maybe in coming few months.
My requirements are
-> HT By Pass switch so that I turn the preamp off when watching movies
-> Remote control.
-> In $500 range.
-> It should do justice to Cary Audio Tube Amp

I have Dodd ELP and Dared SL-2000A in the price range. Dared has a remote but no HTBypass and Dodd has an HTByPass and no remote.
I don't mind going to a used market but I don't have any knowledge about what make or brand i should look for.

In terms of SQ how does Dodd and Dared compare.

Any other suggestions.

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
Post edited by malikarshad on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2005
    Options
    All I know is that the Dared is going to have it's hands full trying to outdo the ELP. I have never heard the Dared, but have read decent reviews on it.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I know few people own the Dared and would like their inputs as to why they bought Dared over Dodd.
    I'm open to used market but as I said earlier I don't have any idea what to look for.

Still waiting for the Senior & Wise CP members to respond.

Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I bought the Dared over the Dodd for three reasons:

1.-Has a remote
    2.-Looks better (IMO)
    3.-Was available (Dodd had a three weeks waiting as I understood)

Reviews were good, so I pulled the trigger.

I love it, though I am not the best source for reviews......new to 2 channel, and first tubes I hear....

Hey Noel, we should really make that comparison....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I do own the ELP as well as the MLP. I'm sure that the Dared is a nice pre, but I have yet to hear one so I can't comment on it's virtues.
    The build quality and the parts used in the Dodd are going to be hard to top in the sub $500 tubed pre market.
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Sorry that I'm not "wise" enough.
    ;) No offense intended. Peace.
    How does the tubes on Dared compare with ELP? I know you can alway roll out the tubes later. I've heard people that Dared does not have good tubes to begin with.
    On the contrary Dared claims to have the shortest signal path.
    Here is the snippet
    Signal paths are shortest possible (I doubt if there is any other preamp with total length of signal path being shorter than this one).

Any other used market alternative.

• ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I'm not sure what tubes ship with the Dared, but I'd have to guess some Chinese tubes of some type. The Dodd was shipped with 6922 Yugos

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dared-Audio-SL-2000A-tubes-pre-amp-220v_W0QQitemZ5827110646QQcategoryZ14974QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://www.doddaudio.biz/products/elp.asp

The Dared uses 12AT7s and the Dodd uses 6DJ8 variants, which include 6922s and 7308s. Both are plentiful, with the NOS being the best, but several of the newer production tubes sound really good and are less expensive.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited November 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Sorry that I'm not "wise" enough.

LOL! Senior but not wise. Come on Noel...what's up with that? :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:
    LOL! Senior but not wise. Come on Noel...what's up with that? :D

Never said I was a senior member, never will and don't care to be.
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:

Hey Noel, we should really make that comparison....

You're welcome over anytime, just call and we'll make plans. :)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I think the Dared uses three tubes. two small ones like X7's and one large rectifier tube. don't know if this makes any difference in SQ or not. I'm leaning towards the Dared too. only because of the remote.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2005
    Options
    How many inputs does the Dared have?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2005
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    How many inputs does the Dared have?

two inputs, two outputs
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Hmm. That could suffice. I think this thing I'm feeling is called temptation.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    You're welcome over anytime, just call and we'll make plans. :)

Hey, I'd love to come over to listen to your systems; I'd take the Dared and we can have some fun comparing Dared vs Dodd ELP..and then we can trade the review results for goodies from other members :):)

I'll PM you.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Be prepared to buy a new preamp.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:

Why....have you compared them?

SOPA
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Russ your thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated by many. I'm still :confused: torn apart between ELP and Dared.

• crossroadazn
    crossroadazn Posts: 69
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Ok, here is my experienced with Dared SL-2000A it isn't because of the elegant look :D but the Dared is a pure vacuume tube class A. Build with high-end quality parts like precision motorized Alps stepping attenuate, Auricap coupling capacitor, signal wires are pure silver :) two inputs and two outputs ( I use one for sub. ). 5Z4 ( or 5Y3 ) rectifier tube and two 12AT7s. Sound ? Warm tube sound not tube like ;) midbass articulation, high resolution, the midrange is so seductive with vocal to die for and smooth top end with air. Yes, roll with NOS tubes like Mullard GZ30 and 12AT7s in my system and you wouldnot disapoint, for the price..heh heh. Happy listening.
    Cheers.
    Cross.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2005
    Options
    No comment on the Dodd, I've never heard one.

I do have a Dared-Pre and have been continually floored by it's performance. I originally had it connected to an SS amp (Pioneer Elite M-10x) and used this combo for both my (actually deb's) SDA-2b's and a pair of LSi9's. Currently I have it connected to an ASL AQ1002DT and the sound is wonderful!! This combo is not overly warm and I did not notice any loss of detail when I switched between SS and tube amplifiers.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Does Dared output the signals if its turned off?
    I need a signal by pass mode so that when I watch movie it passes signal unprocessed to the SS amp.
    Your answer will really help me decide. Would appreciate it much.
    BTW thanks for your inputs :)

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2005
    Options
    No idea, mine is a for a dedicated 2 channel rig.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • jrlouie
    jrlouie Posts: 462
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I'm far from senior or tube-"wise" ;)
    But, I have the Dared (never heard the Dodd). This is my first experience with tubes. I've had it maybe a few months. I really like it. One key I've learned with pre-amps after buying this one is that direct IC's (no y-connectors) really makes a difference (at least it did for me).
    I love having a remote. I do wish I had a theatre-pass feature, but I didn't even know pre's had such options when I bought it.
    Music sounds more natural/real than ever. I find myself turning off the surround on DVD's and just using 2-channel with the tubes because it sounds more real.
    It came with the stock Chinese tubes, I've upgraded once to some JJ's, and I'll probably grab some Mullard's around Christmas time. After breaking in, the JJ's to me have a little more detail than the stock tubes. I'm anxious to try out the Mullard's.
    If nothing else, maybe my info helps a tiny bit.

Here are a couple of pics....
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10448
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10449
  • malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I asked the same question to the guy who sells it. He said there is simple mod that can be done to one of the outputs that will pass the signal without processing it thru preamp.
    I'm unsure about whether he would do it or not?
    How hard is to do this mod? Or I should not even try it. Personally I don't wanna do it but if its as simple as opening the hood and connecting wires then i can do it.

• malikarshad
    edited November 2005
    Options
    So finally its Dared ;)
    I should have it soon and post my impressions.
    Thanks for all your inputs/suggestion in my decision process.
    Next in line is Tube CDP....It never ends..... :(

• audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Glad to see you finally made up your mind! I can't wait to hear what you think about it, as I'm strongly considering one, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The Dodd doesn't require any mods to sound good, or do what it is supposed to. If you want an ELP, I suggest you step up and order. That is all I can say.

Dared? It's ok for what it is. Depending on what you can get it for used, it could be a STEAL. Don't see many Dodd ELP's up for sale (unless someone stepped up to an MLP), take that for what it's worth.

Not knocking any Dared owners, but that has got to be one of the ugliest peices of audio gear I have EVER seen. No one else has said it, so I will. What's with the 'roll cage', and the fake **** wood trim? Gag (imo).

Go hifi, or go midfi, it's entirely up to you.

AB, you deserve better, considering what I sold you last month.

Baby Arm.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    The Dodd doesn't require any mods to sound good, or do what it is supposed to. If you want an ELP, I suggest you step up and order. That is all I can say.

Dared? It's ok for what it is. Depending on what you can get it for used, it could be a STEAL. Don't see many Dodd ELP's up for sale (unless someone stepped up to an MLP), take that for what it's worth.

Not knocking any Dared owners, but that has got to be one of the ugliest peices of audio gear I have EVER seen. No one else has said it, so I will. What's with the 'roll cage', and the fake **** wood trim? Gag (imo).

Go hifi, or go midfi, it's entirely up to you.

AB, you deserve better, considering what I sold you last month.

Baby Arm.

Points taken. I *think* I'd be happy with an AES more so than the ELP.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ND13
    edited November 2005
    Options
    The audio gear made by the Chinese companies seem to be designed by their auto industry designers. First, the Dared designs and then the Gold-trimmed out AES(I'm assuming that the AES is Chinese too). Hell, the Dared even has a remote like the key fobs that cars use, keychain and all.

I'm not trying to bash either of those pres, because I know that its the sound that counts and I've not had the pleasure of hearing either of the two. Just making an observation on the design trends of the Chinese audio(auto :D) companies gear stylings. :)
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2005
    Options
    You are all just jealous....The Dared is beautiful and sounds celestial...

Good Choice malikarshad....

:):):)

SOPA
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Well, not knocking Dared, but the Dodd is built right here in good ole Texas, by a small American businessman. When you want an answer to a question you call him up and talk to the guy who built the unit. If you ever have a need he takes care of it and at least for me its been gratis and I am just an average joe blow to him who likes his products. When I had a line short because of a bad interconnect he fixed my unit for free and I had not even bought it from him since I got it off the Gon. He always leaves me with a thank you for buying my product. Dont have time to call. Every e-mail I ever sent him was answered within 24 hours. It does not get much better than that. Unless of course we are talking about Ken Swauger.

RT1