Poly-Fill brings my SonoSub up from the grave

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
An update on my boomy sonosub and the 10db peak at 40Hz.

I started out with about 1.5lbs of Poly-Fill in my 177L Sub. The sub was less than pleasing. On my way home I stopped by Walmart and picked up an additional 5lbs, opened up the sub, stuffed it, sealed it and placed it back ontop of my slate in the corner.

Let me say that $10.00 in Poly-Fill turned my $350 sonosub into a $5,000 beast. I have never FELT such powerful bass. Extremely tight, clean with a very solid impact. I almost hit the ceiling jumping for joy. Yeah, I was doing the happy dance. This thing is AWESOME. I ran the LFE Sweep via AVIA and the 10db peak between 40-45Hz is gone. I have a very flat response across the board. A 2db peak at around 60Hz and that is it.

This thing, now, pounds my old Velo into dust. I had no idea bass could feel this good, so tight, so clean, so hard. I am amazed, its like an entirely new sub and all for $10.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    is the happy dance like the pee pee dance?

scott:D
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Sweet Ron! So what's your low end response???

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Good job Ron, enjoy.
    What gets me is the poly-fill tricks the speaker into thinking that the enclosure is larger than it is. Your encloser looked pretty large already. Glad you figured it out though. :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    do you have finished pic's of the sub??
    I glad your happy with it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    is the happy dance like the pee pee dance?
    Yeah, jumping up and down uncontrolably. Almost spilled my beer....oh the horror.
    Sweet Ron! So what's your low end response???
    Aaron, I'll let you know. Now that I have it right, I want to spend some quality calibration time with it and then I can get some accurate numbers.
    do you have finished pic's of the sub??
    I'll post some finished pics this weekend.

The bass is simply amazing. Watching T2 last night was awesome. I cannot recommend enough that building these things is the way to go.

If...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I have taken the plunge, two 12" Shiva's on order, now to Home Depot I go :D to get some MDF.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Well, break it down son, what are
    your plans? Size, ported/sealed,
    twins or 2-12s in one. Tell me! I
    want to build another one already.

If...
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    so ron, when you starting up RPmonstersubs inc. ???:D

glad to hear you're happy with your new sub. i would love to try building one myself someday...
  • hoosier21
    edited April 2002
    Options
    What I plan to do is build two "Powered subwoofer speaker stands" I will use the Adire Audio Sealed 54 liter plans, with height adjustments to make it more like the 88.5 liter , I want a taller profile, like 24-26" tall and keep the 15" square footprint of the 54L design, I plan on adding a bottom "plate" with spikes. Looking for deep tight bass.

I have an NAD 2700thx amplifier and Paradigm X-30 crossover to drive these.

I plan on feeding the L and R channel to the X-30, pass the bass to the NAD hooked up to the PSSS's and the highs go to my Acurus amp hooked up to a pair of LSi9's (not bought them YET)

I realize this is a powered "bass section" and not a true subwoofer set-up, but it will kick the snot out of a commercial built powered tower.

This will do till I build an Adire Tempest 15" + 15" Passive DIY LFE ground shaker.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    so ron, when you starting up RPmonstersubs inc. ???
    laugh.gif Good one!

Excellent Hoosier. Keep us on the up-n-up. Very cool idea. Make sure you supply pics as you move along.

If...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Good work Ron!
    I'm glad you found the problem. I'm confused about why that worked though. The polyfil should have just spread out the peak by making the enclosure look larger, not eliminated it. Maybe you ended up spreading it out over the whole spectrum and made everything better! In any case I bet the Green Room takes on a new personality these days with all that great bass! Are you happy with the plate amp? Do you think more power would add any benifit?

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Good point Max. Thats a beast of a sub, with a little bitty plate amp. How is it Ron? From his intial impressions he posted, it seemed to be just fine.

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I am very pleased. The 250watt plate amp is perfect, anything larger would be a waste in my small room. I doubt I am feeding the Tempest more than 125watts right now. Once I get it calibrated that my change a little. I don't even have the amp turned up to the half way mark and doubt I will ever need to. Some of the bennies of a small room, you do not need lots of power to achieve big sound.

My guess is the added polyfill really deadened the tube and killed most of the reverberation I was getting and that might have been causing the peak. I am a bit shocked that the poly-fill made that huge of an improvement, but it did. I am really looking forward to this weekend when I can get in some good calibrating. It's hard to do at night with my wife and daughter in the house.

I did realize that with a sealed enclosure that it is necessary to fill the tube with poly-fill, I only had the tube lined with a small amout and most likely the tube was vibrating uncontrolably.

If...
  • hoosier21
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Well here is an update, after talking with Adire, Shiva (12") is back ordered for 2 weeks, Tempest (15") in stock, order is changed to the Tempest and a Passive Radiator.

Looks like the PSSS's will wait, it ok I don't even have the LSi9's.

So I am building an LFE subwoofer. Trying to pick a design, I will start a new thread for my project, hope I can find the Digital camera's charger.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• wangotango68
    edited April 2002
    Options
  • wangotango68
    edited April 2002
    Options
  • wangotango68
    edited April 2002
    Options
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    Tell me! I
    want to build another one already.

Excellent Ron !!

Now build me one !! haha
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Now build me one !! haha

Allow me to guote Cuba Gooding Jr. from Jerry Maguire
    Show me the money!!!!!!
    :p

If...
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    Options
    oh damn !!

:-)