Testing...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,019
edited October 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Testing...
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    some solid bracing there!

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2005
    Need a hand??
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    What the hell is that, a panty hose hanger with built in stocking streatcher?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited October 2005
    madmax wrote:
    What the hell is that, a panty hose hanger with built in stocking streatcher?
    madmax

What's a streatcher? ;)
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    With the amazing amount of failure floating around the first DT BP10B rebuild I decided with 180 days in shop class to partake in building another set. As you can see - I brought them home and put them together - building something in that classroom is next to impossible. I'm surprising the cuts are as good as they are...

This rebuild is heavily braced unlike the first one - This one is much better I think.

I attached some pictures of what it is I am building (concepts)...

The aesthetics are still kind of up in the air - but I plan on doing a textured black finish (roll on truck bed liner, none of that spray) - with LSi like (not the same) walnut side panels split into 3 sections. Also will have a top cap and a "X Stabilizer" on the bottom that the spikes will attach to...

And yes, the bracing is pretty freakin solid - tons of glue, tons of screws...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    What's a streatcher? ;)

It's kinda like a beatch.
    Good work MX!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Thanks Max,
    Bracing an enclosure is an interesting experience. Interesting in the sense that even the smallest amount of unbraced area allows a resonance. The space between that large brace and the strip boxes... it has a different, higher resonance than the lower and upper portion of the cabinet. VERY weird. However, I have to put the crossover SOMEWHERE
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited October 2005
    However, I have to put the crossover SOMEWHERE

Put it on the outside ala Polk Audio RTA12
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Testing Part 2...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,711
    edited October 2005
    You should tell your shop teacher to either get new blades or have them sharpened. Either that or you are pushing the material through the saw too fast. From what I can tell, it looks like alot of burned edges on those braces.

Burned edges come from too things. Cutting too fast or a dull blade. Using the improper blade will do it too. your shop teacher needs to take care of that, it is extremely dangerou using dull blades. They can kick and grab the material you are cutting and it will injure you or someone else in the class.

It you are getting serious about this stuff, perhaps one should be asking mom and pop for shop tools and some work space in the garage or something for Christmas?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    edited October 2005
    Could be a mixture of both...

Considering these blades are used 180 days a year... 7+ hours a day... - lots of wear and tear, although he keeps good track of the materials with the budget we do have...

I also went pretty fast with the braces as far as ripping... mainly because I had other things to do and on a width stand point they really didnt matter - and I had to cut alot... there is over 460" of bracing between the two speakers... and thats not counting those two large center braces...

(As you can tell, there is not one burn mark on the MDF...and I used the same table saw...) I was going for some pretty precise cuts there...

I really want to build up a shop in the garage... but a car is standing between me and it...

I definitely plan to save up for a table saw within the next 2 years... then probally will pick up a radial arm saw... then possibly a band saw - three tools I definitely need.

But for now, I have a router, drill, jigsaw, and palm sander - which is quite a bit that allows me to do alot at home. The school has some pretty good radial arm saws and table saws - as well as good band saws...

I have alot of space in the garage though - so its really cool, I can back out the car and have over 20 feet in depth, 25 or so in width... tons of room...