180.3 db at IASCA/USACi world finals!!!

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited October 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.iasca.com/news.php

Wow! This is damn impressive!

Id love to see the vehicle used to hit this.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2005
    :eek:

Can you say crushed skull? I can't even begin to fathom that kind of volume.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2005
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited October 2005
    My guess would be 30 - 40 Hz but I'm just throwing out numbers :p
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited October 2005
    No offense, but it's stuff like this that gives the CA guys the reputation you all hate so much...
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited October 2005
    180+ Db is very impresive but just try to ride in that car with some "normal" music... it should be a nightmare...
    <|>
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    No offense, but it's stuff like this that gives the CA guys the reputation you all hate so much...

Why? That vehicle is purpose built specifically for that kind of competition. I'd be willing to bet that it never hit the street once all that work was completed. That truck right there is a trailer queen.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited October 2005
    I saw a TV special on this stuff once, and the cars are far too heavy to be driven.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    the frequency was probably a lot closer to 70 than it was 30-40.

maniac, why does that give us a bad reputation. hes not going to take his truck out and go boom boom around town. sorry, but that was a very ignorant statement. thats the same thing as saying drag racers are what give street racers a bad name.

crboy, i doubt that truck has played music in a long, long...long time

and depending on what class your in, you have to be able to drive your car. But not in Scott's class.

i think my boss ended up getting third in his class. If you want to know something really amazing, check this out. My boss competes in 0-1000 and hit a 157.7, the person who beat him hit a 160 flat by a guy named zac davis. the class above that is 1001-5000 watts. The guy that placed 4th hit a 159.3. So with 5x less power, zac davis couldve gotten 4th in the 1001-5kw class.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:

What gives us the bad reputation my brother is all the stupid 17 year olds with a trunk full of subs with sheet metal rattling driving thru the mall parking lot.

This is totally different. Im a strict SQ guy but you go to a competition and watch a db drag and youll become a fan. Its all about fun and seeing how loud you can go.

And no offense but its remarks like those that gives the HA guys bad reputations as snotty elitists which I know youre not. ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    And no offense but its remarks like those that gives the HA guys bad reputations as snotty elitists which I know youre not. ;)

ROFL

Good one, Mac.

I hope he has some thick skin.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:

There's actually quite a bit of science and engineering behind getting a car to have that many dBs. Its not a simple "I'll just throw in a ton of woofers and as many high powered amps as I can". First you have to reinforce the entire car, then start worrying about where to put woofers, how to angle them, and a bunch of other calculations on the acoustic side, then upgrading the electrical system like a ****.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • hellohello
    edited October 2005
    or u could go down to the dollar store and get 5 of those boxes with 2 12"s a 4"mid and a zillion supertweeters, put some aluminum foil loosely on the inside of the trunk lid to add some "ahm-bee-ahnce" to the sound, then a pair of fuzzy dice to cap it all off :D:p

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2005
    Man you guys are sensitive! I didn't say I look at car audio that way...you guys are putting words in my mouth and I don't appreciate that...just that events like this feed people's ideas about car audio guys in general...

Let's face it, alot of people look at car audio enthusiasts as a bunch of punk kids whose only goal is to see how loud they can get their system and drive their car around town being a nuisance (you know this because I've heard you address these stereotypes in many threads before). These competitions where the only goal is to get as much noise (you can't tell me you're going to have any resemblence of decent sound at that level) just provide more fuel for the fire...

Are those generalizations true? No. Most of the people I know that are in to car audio have very nice systems and could care less about SPL levels.

What I said, if you read my post, is that events like this gives you the reputation that you have. I didn't say it was founded on truth or that I agree with it - just that for people who see CA as 'how loud can it go', this provides further 'evidence' for that in their minds. People like myself understand and appreciate the science that goes in to all this stuff, and I'd never 'turn my nose' at such an event because I think 180 db is damn impressive - but to the general guy with the stereotypical view of the car audio world, this is further illustration of what he 'knows' to be true
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    I hear what youre saying bro but to the general guy who has that view I say he can go f**k himself.

Its not these events that give CA a bad reputation, its the idiot driving down your street right now making your silverware rattle. There is as much difference between serious SPL competitors that love this stuff and the idiot driving thru the neighborhood letting us all hear his ratttling sheet metal as there is between serious IHRA drag racers and some stupid kid that hauls **** thru the neighborhood streets at 75 mph.

Not everybody cares about car audio just like not everybody cares about running the quarter mile in 8 seconds or whatever and for those people that dont care about those things, its unlikely youll ever convince them too so why bother or try to convince them youre not bad people. I know I look down my nose at figure skating, and no matter how hard you try to convince me its cool I aint ever gonna buy season tickets to the Icecapades! :D

• hellohello
    edited October 2005
    indeed, the problem with some people is that they dont think (i.e. the darwin awards) the other problem is that some do think (any pre-conceived notion/prejudice/"they think they know everything") :D

• Jstas
    edited October 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    I hear what youre saying bro but to the general guy who has that view I say he can go f**k himself.

Its not these events that give CA a bad reputation, its the idiot driving down your street right now making your silverware rattle.

Add to that narrow-minded people that perpetuate unfounded stereotypes and discrimination.

If you don't share that point of view Polkmaniac, then why did the thought even enter your head?

• hellohello
    edited October 2005
    perhaps he was the butt end of much ridicule on that line of thinking?

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2005
    Jstas wrote:
    If you don't share that point of view Polkmaniac, then why did the thought even enter your head?
    Because I was talking with a guy at work a few days ago about some of the enhancements I've made to our vehicle audiowise, and his response was basically that all these people that are into car audio are just all about volume and not quality.

So I told him to sign up here and get his learn on and see that not all CA guys are the same...then he sends me the link to this thread...you know the rest...

I'm not narrow-minded and am not perpetuating anything. I made a statement that I believe to be based on fact. People look at events like this and it confirms (in their eyes) what they believe to be true about CA guys...my co-worker is a case-in-point and (from what I've seen) is unfortunately the rule rather than the exception.

If you're not willing to accept the fact that an event where the goal is to get your system as loud as possible contributes to the "Car Audio is just about loud volumes and not Sound quality" attitude, then perhaps you are the narrow-minded one...
  • Jstas
    edited October 2005
    Well tell your buddy I said he is an **** of a moron and if the mental midget wants to spar a few rounds, I'll gladly take him down a peg or 10.

You, on the other hand, are being beligerent and combative. The event you are discussing in the thread has an SPL competiton as a small part of an overall event that includes many, many more smaller events that deal with everything from installation to SPL and everything in between. It's been said already, it takes a good deal of thought, design and engineering to be able to get a sound system to reproduce sound as loud as a rocket launch. It is no easy feat and a far cry from joe blow's kid toodling through your neighborhood in his Honduh Shitvic blasting cRAP music at 2 am. If anyone is being narrow-minded, it's anyone who believes that the importance of a system reacing 180+ dB is all about the noise.

How many people out there, audiophile and non-audiophile alike are proud of the volume levels that thier home stereo will achieve? Everyone, save for a very select few, that I have met will brag about volume first. Why? Because it's all about 'my **** is bigger than yours!' The benefit that comes out of such a task is that many of these guys that are running in these competitions are being sponsored by a major manufacturer. This is R&D work. The stuff that you see one guy win with this year is next year's new line of amplifiers and speakers. This stuff trickles down in one way or another. They are driving the market and the sound competitions drive the market so hard that things liek amplifier circuits, crossover networks and driver design from the car audio world end up in home audio too. There are many advances out there avaiable to the home audio realm that got thier start on a little 12v DC circuit somewhere in a car, blasting out sounds and tunes at some competition somewhere.

Lose the 'tude, dude. You can't waltz in to a car audio forum and make a comment as obtuse as "No offense, but it's stuff like this that gives the CA guys the reputation you all hate so much..." and expect to not get a displeasurable response. Especially if you have to write the words "No offense..." at the beginning of the statement. It sets the wrong tone immediatly. What's worse is that you can't 'fess up to the statement and choose to blame it on some nit-witted yahoo with more mouth than brains.

• Jstas
    edited October 2005
    BTW, a link to dB levels...just so you have an idea of how loud 180+ dB REALLY is.

http://www.lhh.org/noise/decibel.htm

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2005
    Well tell your buddy I said he is an **** of a moron and if the mental midget wants to spar a few rounds, I'll gladly take him down a peg or 10.
    So now you wanna fight, that's mature - just one rung above some **** coworker of mine who makes stupid generalizations...
    You, on the other hand, are being beligerent and combative.
    Need I even respond. You're threatening to kick some guys **** you've never even met because of somethig he said. Pot, kettle, black
    The event you are discussing in the thread has an SPL competiton as a small part of an overall event that includes many, many more smaller events that deal with everything from installation to SPL and everything in between.
    I don't dispute this. All the link above talks about is the SPL competition, that's what I was going on.
    It's been said already, it takes a good deal of thought, design and engineering to be able to get a sound system to reproduce sound as loud as a rocket launch. It is no easy feat and a far cry from joe blow's kid toodling through your neighborhood in his Honduh Shitvic blasting cRAP music at 2 am. If anyone is being narrow-minded, it's anyone who believes that the importance of a system reacing 180+ dB is all about the noise.
    I never said I didn't appreciate the task at hand. In fact I said I found it 'pretty damn impressive'.
    Lose the 'tude, dude. You can't waltz in to a car audio forum and make a comment as obtuse as "No offense, but it's stuff like this that gives the CA guys the reputation you all hate so much..." and expect to not get a displeasurable response. Especially if you have to write the words "No offense..." at the beginning of the statement. It sets the wrong tone immediatly. What's worse is that you can't 'fess up to the statement and choose to blame it on some nit-witted yahoo with more mouth than brains.
    I don't feel like I have an issue with attitude - you've attacked me, not the other way around. I'm sure it's just me though, we ALL know that you've NEVER had issues getting along with people before :confused: What do you mean I didn't fess up to my statement? What do you think I've been doing this whole time?!?

You asked "then why did the thought even enter your head" - and I answered your question truthfully. I didn't say anything like 'he made me say it', so quit trying to spin it that way. I answered your question, but then at the end of that post still defended the reasoning behind my statement, as I'd done previously - so don't try to make it look like I'm not owning up to my statement and trying to back my way out...

Funny how you're the only one that still seems to have an issue.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    im glad you know your co-worker is an idiot. He must be one of the select few(effin retards) that combine a competition like this with the stereotypical streetbanger. Any **** bag with half an ounce of knowledge would know the difference. Much like my analogy between drag racers and street racers. NASCAR is retarded...theyre the reason why people add HP to their cars/trucks and zoom around the neighborhood...if your co-worker really thinks that way i wonder how much he gets paid because my 5 year old cousin could land a job there.

the world is already overpopulated, this is just another reason why there should be an IQ test to determine if you should be allowed to live past 20.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    *sigh*

This whole thread is just really sad.

Could we just stop?

:(
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited October 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    This whole thread is just really sad(

X2... :(

Two CP members fighting makes it even worst...
    <|>
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2005
    Look giys, just so we're clear...

I came in and made a very brief statement (I should know better than to post at 5:30 in the morning :D).

After signing back in and reading my original response and some of your responses, I saw that my response had not been worded very well and as such had not been taken very well.

OK my fault for my poor choice of words, but my second post with further explanation I thought shoud have cleared things up.

Just because I'm into car audio and am offended by the common stereotype, doesn't mean that I can't make an observation about how something effects the reputation of that industry, or at least of those involved.

Let's take computer gaming as a comparable example. Many people have this stereotypical vision of a hardcore gamer as either some really nerdy guy, or some guy who hasn't shaven in weeks and has been wearing the same robe for a year. I'm a computer gamer, and I don't fit either profile at all. But you know what - when I walk in to a CompUSA and 75% of the guys in the games section fits one of those two profile, I have to tell myself, 'No wonder people have those ideas about computer gamers. Or when I see an ad for one of those LAN parties and 75% of the guys there fit the profile, I think the same thing....

Like I said, my original choice of words was poor, but i feel that I've offered adequate explanation...
  • Jstas
    edited October 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    So now you wanna fight, that's mature - just one rung above some **** coworker of mine who makes stupid generalizations...
    Need I even respond. You're threatening to kick some guys **** you've never even met because of somethig he said. Pot, kettle, black

I don't feel like I have an issue with attitude - you've attacked me, not the other way around. I'm sure it's just me though, we ALL know that you've NEVER had issues getting along with people before :confused: What do you mean I didn't fess up to my statement? What do you think I've been doing this whole time?!?

Funny how you're the only one that still seems to have an issue.

First off, I never said I was going to "kick his ****" or did I even threaten any physical violence. I only said I'd spar a few rounds and my intent was only to educate your "friend" on the matter. Even if that education came bluntly and to the point. So, in your own words "you...are putting words in my mouth and I don't appreciate that".

Secondly, the attitude that I was reffering to was the attitude that is inherent in your first post and the reason why so many people responded the way they did.

Lastly, I didn't attack you. In truth, my first response to your off-the-cuff statement was a question in an attempt to determine the reasoning behind such a passive aggressive approach to nothing more than a news story about a world record that would be impressive even on a knitting forum.

Then I echoed MacLeod's statements and added that it wasn't just the offenders that perpetuate unfair stereotypes but also the offended ones who don't want to see the forest for the trees. You must have taken exception to the statement because my only other statement from me in that post was asking you why that thought even crossed your mind, which was a fair a question. You then responded with a terse post about a co-worker that supposedly sent you the link to the thread yet we have not had teh luxury of meeting and then, in that same thread, you posted this:

"If you're not willing to accept the fact that an event where the goal is to get your system as loud as possible contributes to the "Car Audio is just about loud volumes and not Sound quality" attitude, then perhaps you are the narrow-minded one..."

Which, if not directed at me solely, was rather blunt, confrontational and implicit in stating that I and/or all of us here are the narrow-minded ones for not being willing to accept that a single instance out of millions is indicative of the population as a whole. Yet, given that statement, we are not supposed to feel a certain amount of hostility from these posts and we are all supposed to hug and sing Kumbaya together?

Yeah, sure, I attacked someone in this thread. It wasn't you and it wasn't any other member here. It was your "friend" and I stand by my statements, 100%. I will not apologize and I do not regret them. Do I think you posted with an attitude and flung the first barb, yes I do. Do I think your hostility is misplaced? Yes I do? I and probably no one else here has a problem with you. The problem resides in the posts you made and the blind arrogance at which your "friend" seems to have approached things without giving any of it a chance. He has, in effect, judged an entire section of the population of audio-enthusiasts without known squat about the environment that they choose to pursue thier hobby in. To that, I echo Mac's statements again, "...he can go f**k himself. "

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited October 2005
    Cody, that's the problem, he's not one of a select few - that seems to be a common misconception that many people have about car audio, that it's just about noise.

I've been to a couple of these competitions around here, though I'm sure nothing as big as what this one is, and it's the same thing. The vast majority (I'd guess 90% or more) of people attending were males between the ages of teens to early 20 I'd guess. People just looked at us like a bunch of punk kids who blasted our radios...

I remember one of these was in Garland. tx suburb of Dallas, and right across the street was a car show put on by Good Guys with a bunch of classics, and my friend and I were over at the car show after visiting the audio show briefly. We heard I can't count how many times guys saying things like "listen to those kids playing their boomboxes seein' how loud they can get it, listenin' to that rap trash" (uh oh did I just open another can) - not like these guys had much room to talk as I'm sure they face their own stereotypes. Now maybe things have changed in the last couple of years, or maybe the incidents I have experienced have been isolated, or maybe people in north Texas are just dumb, but that's been my experience...
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited October 2005
    Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya....

I'd let this one die guys. Nothing good is coming of this.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Just tell your buddy to go check out a good db drag! Anybody that can sit there and watch cars trying to outdo the competition while under a time limit and hitting 160+ db's and not think thats cool might as well be wearing a dress! :D

Thats what sold me. Im all for SQ but whenever I go to a competition I head straight for the SPL lanes first.