Options
2»

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Just bought a house and car, so the MLP's gonna have to wait :D

definitly gonna get the 7308 and JJ's down the road from the multiple suggestions. I'm
    rollin with the EI elites at the moment. they're presenting themselves in a very balanced way, seems the lows are openning up as they break in, also warming up overall on break in. gonna hang with these a while and see what they can do.

I luv tube rollin :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited October 2005
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:
    Just bought a house and car, so the MLP's gonna have to wait :D

I really dislike it when priorities get in the way..... Glad your enjoying your ELP Lou.

I'm new to tubes. I need more ear time before I roll anything. I've got Ediswan 6922's with about 50 hours (per the previous owner) in my used Ah! CDP. I've got some unused NOS Amperex gold pin 7308’s with it to try. What can I expect from them and how many hours do they need to seat in? I have plenty of reach deep with the 6922's, great mids and highs.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I'm a tube rookie too, but 50 hrs probably means the tubes are fairly broken in. Probably no more than 100 I dont know what kind of tubes the Ah takes, are they 6922's, if so, you owe it to yourself to get some time on those amperex's. Its a minor sin to have them unused. break em in, see if you notice differences pre and post break in from what you are using now., if you dont notice, switch back and forth after the amperex's ar ebroken in. I dont know if this is good advise, its just what I do.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited October 2005
    Options
    DAGLJAM6 wrote:
    Yep, 2nd full week of listening and swapped in the Siemens. I'm leaning heavily on these over the Amperex.

Okay, I may just have to punt on my initial statement, i just put the Amperexs
    back in and after two and a half hours i'm leaving them in. The Siemens can be my back up pair but won't be the star in this pre amp.
    The Amperex pair has more "body/dimensionality" throughout the listening range.
    The Siemens, while good, just don't have quite the same...I guess depth. Detail ,yes, but not the "body" that I seem to gravitate toward soundwise.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I agree. I liked the Siemens so well I looked for more but after trying the Amperexes those are the ones I would have stuck with.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2005
    Options
    RT1,
    How long have you been using the JJ? I seriously hope these JJ's will last because they sound so good. I even bought spares just in case. Better than my Mullard 6DJ8 IMO. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours so much. Once NOS tubes run out or get too expensive, the JJ will be my first choice.

Maurice
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    DAGLJAM6 wrote:
    Okay, I may just have to punt on my initial statement, i just put the Amperexs
    back in and after two and a half hours i'm leaving them in. The Siemens can be my back up pair but won't be the star in this pre amp.
    The Amperex pair has more "body/dimensionality" throughout the listening range.
    The Siemens, while good, just don't have quite the same...I guess depth. Detail ,yes, but not the "body" that I seem to gravitate toward soundwise.

Yep, that's what I've been saying. They are just hard to beat, imo. It's like they built those damn tubes just for my taste. I couldn't have tuned it any better with a 32 band eq.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Yep, that's what I've been saying. They are just hard to beat, imo. It's like they built those damn tubes just for my taste. I couldn't have tuned it any better with a 32 band eq.

I agree. The tube is just perfect. It does everything well. Do you find the Siemens to have an analitycal sound? A lot of people say this about Siemens. Generally, German tubes are sound controlled while the English are warm.

Maurice
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    The Siemens are very neutral, imo. They're aren't bright by any means, nor are they really warm. I'd think they'd be good for classical, folk, classical guitar, etc
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"