Sacd

Options
dean/klipschead
dean/klipschead Posts: 295
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
anyone here using it?

I recently had the opportunity to compare a Sony c555es to my Anthem CD-1. Since I didn't have any SACD discs -- I could only compare Redbook playback.

I felt the Sony was smoother on top than my Anthem -- but overall, lacked some low level detail that the Anthem was putting out in spades.

The Sony was also somewhat 'cleaner' sounding -- but at the same time lacked the full bodied sound I had become accustomed too.

I think multibit DACs can still do some things better than the single bit DACs.

I still have yet to experience SACD -- mostly because there is not much available in the kind of music I like. I have also heard that what is available -- isn't really all that jaw dropping.

any opinions?
Dean
Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'll be perfectly honest with you, Dean: I don't have any opinions on this subject right now. I'll be sure to post something on this subject after I acquire some relevent information, thanks, orange.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dean,
    I have sacd.It's real clean and clear, the level of detail goes behind cd.But there is a down side, not much software.If you like calssical, your cool for the most part, Jazz there's some,I only found 1 Al Di meola sacd.That suck's I'm a big fan of his.Hardley no rock at all, if you go shopping,which I reccomend you do first,if you find sacd's you like, then invest n a player.the Sony you looked at the 555es is a very good player, you might want to check out the 777es,much better player.I will let you listen and you deside which player you like.
    Have fun,
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I wish i could afford a 777es -- a little too rich for my blood, at least right now.

Al Di meola rules. I would imagine what you picked up was Elegant Gypsy -- that's a great CD.

I actually use 'Race with the Devil' as a demo cut.

I noticed in another post that you also have DVD-A. What do you think? Who gets the nod? SACD or DVD-A?
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I didn't see that on sacd.Only "FRIDAY NIGHT IN SAN FRANSISCO"
    I wish they had all his Album's.I like his stuff alot(music that is, sick minded people).I own "THE INFINITE DESIRE" which has race with the devil on it."WINTER NIGHT'S" I got this album first.And the latest one I picked up is"THE GRAND PASSION".
    If they release any more of his stuff on sacd i will buy it all.
    DVD AUDIO VS SACD??????hard one really.they both sound terrific.You would like SACD BETTER only because you use 2 channel only.Am I right on that??
    DvD audio is better in multichannel, they do a better job then sacd.sacd just started multichannel month's ago.dvd audio was right out of the shoot.Personally I like them both.I'm glad I have them both,I own 4 disk's if I had only one format, I would only have 2 and 2 suck's,4 suck's but I hope more software comes out soon.
    I would like to here Elegent Gypsy.It's really good, how would you comare that album to The Infinite desire??
    If you ever go multicannel for music , you would want to own both formats. Why limit yourself.I don't.
    The 777es is one killer cd/sacd player.It's expensive but really worth ever penny.Go listen to it, it might suprise you, I did me.I don't really care for Sony Cd player's in the past, but that one smokes.
    Dan
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm with you guys on the Al Di meola deal, and I'm also a big Paco De Lucia fan. I enjoy a tune called "Orient Blue Suite," that Al did with Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin some years back.

Do you guys dig any of that wacky fusion stuff? Like maybe the album, "Hot Rats," that crazy Zappa character did a few years back? I'm an absolute sucker for it, I just go nuts, screaming and running around whenever I hear it. Are you guys like that?
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm not I just into Al a couple of years ago, new for me.I played guitar in my youth(planning on playing again.)
    But am always open to hear stuff like al di meola
    Dan
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i am upgrading to a better CD player soon (using DVD player as transport now). i considered SACD, but the lack of material out there makes it tough to go with now. the reality (for me) is that i will be setting up a 2-channel only set-up, and even though SACD will improve 2-channel playback over the standard CD, the ability to upgrade to a better player with a higher end DA converter will improve the sound of my whole collection(without having to rebuy all my favs.), AND give me a larger choice of media to choose from in future CD purchases. an SACD player is not totally out of my picture, but i may hold off to see what happens over the next year or two...

just my .02 on the matter...
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited April 2002
    Options
    As far as rock CD's go, Tool's Lateralus is an SACD. When I can I'm going to get an SACD player just for that. :) (I'm a big Tool fan)

I highly recommend this CD to anyone here.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    any one think that sacd will take over the cd market like the cd did to the tape and if you dont knolw that the sacd os made on a dvd
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm a huge Tool fan, too. Do you have Salival on DVD? Highly recommended... all their videos (plus one rare one) remastered in Dolby Digital. It's incredible. I use the Aenima video as a demo for the system. I got to see them last November, and it was by far the best concert I've been to. :D
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Way ahead of you Dylan. I have most anything that is Tool related. Seen em live 3 times since 96, and I also have the new Video for Parabol/Parabola. :)

Nice to see another Tool freak around here!

goingganzo I could be wrong, but I don't think SACDs are on DVD disks. If they were... I wouldn't be able to play em on my regular CD players (which I can).
  • MIKLSAN
    MIKLSAN Posts: 8
    edited April 2002
    Options
    While realize it is not exactly an audiophile quality, you can hear a pretty decent demo at any local Circuit City. They have a Sony rig set up to demo 5.1 channel SACD from an affordable system. While I can't speak to the ES stuff (haven't listened to it in over a year), I have to admit the inexpensive stuff sounds pretty good. There is a demo cut called "Line 'Em Up" from James Taylor on the sampler disc at CC that is killer. It also seems that CC is clearing out last year' SACD models right now, so if you are in the market for a new CD or DVD player, you can actually enter the world of SACD for less than $300 or $400. Granted, the availability of software still stinks, but at those prices, it doesn't hurt so much.
  • ian323
    ian323 Posts: 1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I bought into sacd a couple months ago..and i must say that the 7 or 8 disks that i have now, i'm really impressed with what i'm hearing. a few high notes to point out...Roger Waters "in the flesh" is just unbelievable, but anyone who owns a sacd player should rush out immediately and buy Tchaikovsky ( or however the hell you spell that) 1812 overture, probably the best thing i've ever heard in any format. You can get it from Telarc.
    I'm finding more and more disks out there for sale now, hopefully alot more in the near future.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I think this is also available for DVD-A and has been used to compare the two formats. The review I read said they were very close, but the edge was given to SACD. Woohoo!

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Big fan of Tool also. The DVD with the music videos in 5.1 is freaking awesome. How cool are tool videos!!!!!! The new cd I have is in HDCD. My Denon DVD2800 plays that format and it is very very clean sounding.
    I agree with many of the new small plug and systems. They sound amazing. Some of then just need a larger deeper sub and wwwhhhooooaaaa!:cool: