WTB: AI-1 cable

fredv
fredv Posts: 923
edited October 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Yeah, I know, build it yourself ;) but I am simply no EE :o If you have a AI-1 SDA IC spare. I would like to buy it from you.

Thanks,

-fredv-
Post edited by fredv on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2005
    Fred, I don't think that it's that difficult to build, I'll let you know when I start/finish mine. I am pathetic when it comes to solder :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • fredv
    edited October 2005
    I am pathetic when it comes to solder :)

Hi George,

That makes 2 of us :D Pleaes let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

-fredv-
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2005
    Will do, should start/finish saturday ;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2005
    This is what an original one looks like inside the box.

George, can you still get the original plugs from polk or are you doing a custom connection?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited October 2005
    The cable they are talking about allows you to use monoblock amps with some of the SDA speakers. Not needed if you are using a common ground amp.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2005
    anonymouse wrote:
    That looks like a transformer inside that box. I thought this was a passive cable. What does that transformer do?
    Like Spawndn72 said. There are two seperate windings inside the transformer, and each one connects to a speaker. The juju happens through inductance in the windings so there is no hard wired connection between the speakers.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited October 2005
    It's called a isolation transformer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    It is a 1:1 transformer. At least close.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • fredv
    edited October 2005
    Will do, should start/finish saturday ;)
    Hi George,

Just a ping to see you have done with the AI-1 cable?

Thanks,

-fredv-
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited October 2005
    I have an adcom gfa5800 and I'm looking into getting a pair of Polk SDA's and found through this establishment that I will need this cable or modify my amp to add a common ground.

I would be very interested in seeing the steps required to build this cable.

Thanks!
    Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2005
    bigyank wrote:
    I have an adcom gfa5800 and I'm looking into getting a pair of Polk SDA's and found through this establishment that I will need this cable or modify my amp to add a common ground.

I would be very interested in seeing the steps required to build this cable.

Thanks!
    Yank

I can't link you direct to it. Go here and put your mouse pointer on "Publications" and click on "A1 Interconnect Instructions."
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2005
    SCompRacer wrote:
    George, can you still get the original plugs from polk or are you doing a custom connection?

If you mean the blade-blade connector, I got mine here; not sure if they carry the pin-blade, but worth looking...

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=750-3200&SEARCH=P%2D302%2DCCT&ID=&DESC=P%2D302%2DCCT

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2005
    HTrookie wrote:
    If you mean the blade-blade connector, I got mine here; not sure if they carry the pin-blade, but worth looking...

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=750-3200&SEARCH=P%2D302%2DCCT&ID=&DESC=P%2D302%2DCCT

Great! Thanks for the info. I'm set for now (have pin/blade NCG AI), but you never know when you may need something down the road a ways. Bookmarked...
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited October 2005
    Just to make sure I am clear on the terminology. The speakers I am considering have the cable supplied with the speakers when new. So when you say blade to blade you mean....?
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2005
    SDA speakers were made with two type of connetcors for the IC; some came with a blade-blade connector and some came with a pin-blade connector. If you are buying a pair that comes with the interconnect you should probably be ok...it will bring the one that fits that pair.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman