Leveling and Plumbing your mains?

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,078
edited September 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Who does it? Come on... I know I'm not the only crazy person here...

But I feel that having your speakers straight and at the same levelness is a good thing. ESPECIALLY Leveling front to back... as that decides where your tweeters are pointing.

Turns out my left main was dipping down about 1/8" more than my right main...

I don't know if it made a noticeable difference, but its a piece of mind... anyone else do this?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2005
    Options
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Me too :D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well no, but now i am going to.... thanks alot, you have just made me more anal!
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I knew I could make life harder for people by posting this...

It literally took me about 20 minutes to get mine adjusted with the spikes, getting up and down checking and re-checking... I'm glad I did it though...

My left speaker was leaning to the left about .5" - that bad really...

After some further listening, the sound is much more balance between the right and left - nothing major though - just a more balanced sound.

Leveling is fun.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2005
    Options
    My left one hangs a little lower, too.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Now I have to go buy a friggin level! LOL
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited September 2005
    Options
    yupper. if you don't feel like digging out your self leveling laser level, a bullseye level works well enough. and yeah polker, i've leveled the speaks with each other too. ya never know how far off the floor is until ya check.

anyway, i find that a more noticable difference can be had from placing the front baffles of each speak on the same plane or toed at the same precise angle. a long straight edge that spans between the speaks can be used if there is no or slight toe. when i set up for more radical toe or aim at the listening position i have plywood templates shaped like a right trapezoids. i place the right angles against the baseboard on the floor behind the speaks, then i just drop the stands and speaks in aligned against the angled edge of the template. i change placements alot, so stuff like this makes changes pretty quick and painless.

)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2005
    Options

lol.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I have been leveling my speakers for years. I level from side to side and use the front to back for setup. I actually off level from front to back pointing the tweeter up a bit.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm...Thats something new.

I've always aligned them to the center of the seating area with a laser.

EDITED:
    I just use it to make them equal whether it is the center or or where ever they sound the best.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Mantis,
    I also tilt mine up, mainly due to the design of the BP10B, the low tweeter.

I don't think I would use a laser to get my speakers pointing at me directly, I think toe in should be decided by your ears and tons of effort... if that is what you are talking about. I find toe in is a good thing for modern speakers, however I have found that direct toe in is rarely a good thing.
  • scottnbnj
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Mantis,
    ... however I have found that direct toe in is rarely a good thing.

if i had to pick only one degree of toe with my room, gear and tunes, to my ears firing straight ahead (zero toe) works best in most cases and has fewest drawbacks.

when you start aiming or using alot of toe, treatments or an absorbent object (like a coat rack) between the speaks can control reflections off of opposing speaks' front baffles. this can be the problem if you have image problems like oddball footsteps that jump out on the wrong side of the stage on 'dark side of the moon'.

)
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Actually I found firing straight ahead limits the soundstage width and depth... it also limits detail.

This is really by design, as my speakers fire front and rear - and the rear drivers reflecting right back at theirself is not a good thing I wouldnt think...

Every speaker is different.

But usually, skinnier speakers (RTi, LSi) do better in a toed in setup..
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    edited September 2005
    Options
    To do it right you need two laser levels so that you can adjust the toe-in of the speakers so that the exact center of your head is where the lasers intersect. You may have to sit on a phone book for best results.
  • scottnbnj
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Polkitup2 wrote:
    To do it right you need two laser levels...

no problemo. i'd still have one laser level to spare. i could use #3 to assure that my ears are aligned correctly in relation to the front baffle plane,.. or the phone book. the possibilities are endless.

)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2005
    Options

WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Guilty here also.
    Having worked as a carpenter for years I find it distracting to have the mains, or any speaker out of plumb.
    Don't know how much difference it makes to the ears, but the eyes like it better.
    I also use a laser pointer to aline the line of fire of the speaks, you can still adjust by ear, but once you decide what sounds best, you can equalize the speakers.

-Luc
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Here's how I setup any front speakers for 2 channel listening.

I measure the distance from the seating or listening area and use that measurement for the distance between the 2 speakers. this is a common problem many have there mains to close together.
    I try to get the speakers away from corners and rear wall. I find that most speakers tend to BOOM when closer to the walls. No actual measurement I do just find where they sound the best or the wife will allow into the room.
    Toe in I start at directly at the listening or seating area with no side panels exposed when looking at the speakers. Then I toe out a bit to hear what happens and use the perferred sound at a end result.
    I level the speaker from side to side. Anal but looks really nice. I never found or tested for sound quality with on or off level speakers from side to side.
    I then look at the tweeter and angle it up just a bit. I perfer the Tweeter firing at or a little over ear height.

This works for most speakers I have setup. My last 3 mains (rt1000p's , Lsi15's , Audience 82's) all seem to work well with this setup.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Don't forget to level your down firing sub. if its off axis you could be losing performance.
    Carl