Eclipse Subs and Mids...?

CrBoy
CrBoy Posts: 580
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm planning on buying a new car (hopefully a Golf GTI :) ) so I want to buy a new audio system... the problem is we have no Polk Dealers here... I would love to try the SR6500 or at least the MMC6500...

The best gear I can buy is Eclipse... I would like your opinion on this sub and these mids
Other available brands are: Rockford, MA Audio, Crossfire...

Any input is appreciated... ;)
<|>
Post edited by CrBoy on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2005
    I like their subs a lot. Their components are good, but not wonderful. But out of your list of things you can buy, i would certainly go with eclipse. If you dont have a radio already, then I would also highly highly recommend eclipse, they make some of the best on the market. For amps, Id go with the RF power series if you can afford it. If not then go with crossfire.

Where do you live?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Siegel1719
    Siegel1719 Posts: 28
    edited September 2005
    Sounddomain.com and you can get the MMC6500s. Also the tweets in that component set might be alittle bright since there a titanium dome tweeter.

Jeremy
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    thanks for the comments!

I live in Costa Rica so on-line shopping is not an option...

As far as the HU goes I can get Pionner, Alpine or Eclipse.
    If the Eclipse mids are not good what should I get?
    <|>
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Wonder what it would cost to ship to CR? Thinking someone on the forums could buy what you want and ship them to you. *shrugs*
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    that would be awesome... but it would be expensive I think? I have no idea how much DHL or UPS charges per pound...

Does anybody in the forum owns or have any expericence with the Eclipse subs? I heard those are really good (SQ + SPL)
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Cody x2

Eclipse is like Alpine, pretty much anything with their name on it is going to be good.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited September 2005
    I love their headunits and that's about it. I do not like aluminum subs in an open cab vehicle. You can hear the resonance of the cone and it's completely unpleasant to me. I cannot say anything about the mids because I have no experience with them (except from 6 years ago).

Do not go crossfire or ma audio. Rockford's new subs and amps are very impressive. Finally getting back to their roots. Just a bit to late IMO. They already ran their name in the mud and did it with no remorse.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    Toxis wrote:
    I do not like aluminum subs in an open cab vehicle.

What about the Titanium Series...?

I think I can find MTX subs and amps what do you think about 'em?
    Thanks for the help...
    <|>
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    What about Fusion Audio and Alphasonik?
    <|>
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Never heard of Fusion Audio, but I'm pretty sure Alphasonik is pretty much on the same level as Audiobahn.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    edited September 2005
    ive never heard of the issues toxis has had. The titaniums are great as well. MTX amps are very solid. I like crossfire amps as well.
    -Cody
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    Never heard of Fusion Audio, but I'm pretty sure Alphasonik is pretty much on the same level as Audiobahn.

jajaja! so I have to stay away from Alphashit... good to know :eek:
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    Yes, Alphasonik is sub par gear. Theyll work and all but youll be lucky if they make their rated power and their subs are kinda splatty.

As for Crossfire, I swear by them and will put them up against any brand out there. My amps are POWERHOUSES! Especially my 404. This "50x4" amp is easily capable of blowing a hole right in the middle of my SR's without a hint of distortion, its built very solid and runs cool. Their subs and speakers, while not the best SQ, are still pretty good. Their subs especially can crank out some major db's while still sounding musical.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    edited September 2005
    CrBoy wrote:
    What about Fusion Audio and Alphasonik?
    Might as well look into Pyramid and Legacy... J U N K !

I'm not a huge fan of the MTX amps but I really like the 7500 subs. For the money, they're nice.

Can you get Diamond Audio by chance? They're great quality for the money.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2005
    Toxis wrote:
    I love their headunits and that's about it. I do not like aluminum subs in an open cab vehicle. You can hear the resonance of the cone and it's completely unpleasant to me.

My subwoofer has an aluminum cone and I have not heard what you are talking about. This maybe due to a couple of reasons though. The company that makes them has fixed the issue, or me using the crossover has eliminated the problem from my system. My sub is in the trunk, but while messing with the gains or just checking it out, I have listened to it with the trunk opened. This was at all different output levels. I read a review where an aluminum cone sub did have some resonance, but this was way past the frequency range that you would want your sub playing. I believe it was above 1,000Hz and maybe closer to 2,000Hz. This was for an Audiomobile MASS 2012. At the time the person reviewing it gave it a very good review, I believe it was Tom Nouisane (sp). He said that if you used a low pass filter the resonance that it showed would not be an issue. He also said that there were other subs that could get as loud, but not as cleanly as the MASS 2012. At the time, it was one of the lowest distortion producing subs he had heard. This was a very nice subwoofer with an underhung voice coil configuration, that helped it achieve very clean high levels of bass output. Once in a while I check Ebay to see if one comes up. The next one I see I am going after :).

TC Sounds (http://www.tcsounds.com/) is the buildhoue that made the subs for Audiomobile. They also make my Soundsplinter subwoofer (a TC2+ sub http://www.tcsounds.com/TC2plus.htm) and some of the aluminum subs for Eclipse. I do not know if they have figured out how to get rid of the resonance that the MASS 2012 exhibited with their newer subs they are making, like mine and Eclipse, or if the lowpass filters are making it dissapear. Either way though, I think it is a mute point since once you engage the lowpass filter, the resonance is no longer audible.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2005
    CrBoy wrote:
    that would be awesome... but it would be expensive I think? I have no idea how much DHL or UPS charges per pound...

Does anybody in the forum owns or have any expericence with the Eclipse subs? I heard those are really good (SQ + SPL)

I have read on other forums where people are very happy with their Eclipse subs. Basically saying the same thing you heard regarding their SQL.

I just looked at the Eclipse sub you mentioned. Very nice sub :D .
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Toxis
    edited September 2005
    This might have been changed/fixed but when they first came out and even a few years after, I always heard a pinging sound when used in a hatchback. In a trunk or in an extended cab truck I never heard it because either I wasn't far enough away from it or it was being masked by the back seat. Other than that, they sounded awesome.

• CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    Toxis wrote:
    Might as well look into Pyramid and Legacy... J U N K !

I asked because I didn't know anything about them, and the store that sells Eclipse also have Alphasonik and Fusion Audio... as well as Crossfire and MA Audio

I have a (stupid maybe) question for all the Polkies... what would be better (SQL) the Eclipse Aluminium Sub I mentioned or the Polk DX? :confused:
    <|>
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    I called the store and they only have this sub for $130.00

What do you guys think?
    <|>
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2005
    CrBoy wrote:
    I asked because I didn't know anything about them, and the store that sells Eclipse also have Alphasonik and Fusion Audio... as well as Crossfire and MA Audio

I have a (stupid maybe) question for all the Polkies... what would be better (SQL) the Eclipse Aluminium Sub I mentioned or the Polk DX? :confused:

The Eclipse model that you mentioned.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2005
    nadams wrote:
    Wonder what it would cost to ship to CR? Thinking someone on the forums could buy what you want and ship them to you. *shrugs*

i just started reading this thread and was thinking the same thing...

now back to your regularly schedualed program....

sorry.. :o
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    Mac:
    Do the Crossfire amps come with a birthsheet?
    If so, how much extra power do they put out? :confused:
    <|>
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited September 2005
    I have heard a TC Sounds woofer with an aluminum cone on a SVS subwoofer...

Some of the cleanest, effortless bass I have ever heard in my life... no hint of "noise" from the cone.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    CrBoy wrote:
    Mac:
    Do the Crossfire amps come with a birthsheet?
    If so, how much extra power do they put out? :confused:

Yes they have a birthsheet and its BS.

My VR404 sheet claims 404 total at 14.4 volts. Theyre rated at 400 at 12 volts. My VR302 rates at 300 but the sheet claims 350.

Now every single test Ive ever seen on a Crossfire amp has them exceeding their ratings by at least 50%.

They do this because they are heavily into SPL competitions which is generally seperated by power classes. So having a 600 watt amp in a 400 watt class is to their advantage.

I know mine are putting out a bunch more. If I had to guess Id say the 404 is making 80x4 and the 302 is making 375-400. My 404 is 50x4 and was bottoming the SR mids at moderate volumes with the gains at barley 25%. I know have the gains at ZERO and its still a handfull for them. 50 watts aint gonna bottom out an SR mid. 80 probably would.

• CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    Great! thanks for the info Mac.

I think I'm gonna grab a 50x4 and one of the D class amps for the sub(s)... is this a good idea? or should I use a regular A/B amp for the bass?

I would like to have as much control as possible...
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    The only difference between a Class D and a stereo amp will be the D will be smaller and more expensive. Thats about it.

• CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    The only difference between a Class D and a stereo amp will be the D will be smaller and more expensive. Thats about it.

What about the subsonic filter?
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    Yeah, a Class D would probably have a couple more gidgets and gadgets than a stereo amp would.

• exalted512
    edited September 2005
    class ab are cleaner amps as well. theyll sound better. depending on the amp, sub, and your ears, this may or may not make a difference. They are also less efficient putting more of a burden on your electrical system
    -Cody
  • CrBoy
    edited September 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong please... but...

If I go with a Sealed Enclosure set up for the Eclipse sub(s) I shouldn't worry about subsonic freqs, right? as long as the box is build according to specs :confused:

If that's correct I can save some money not buying the D amp...
    <|>