DVD-Audio is the Shizzzznit

Options
Steve@3dai
Steve@3dai Posts: 983
edited April 2002 in Music & Movies
I picked up the Toshiba SD-4700 player today. I have the Bjork Vespertine DVD-A disc, and all I gotta say that it is unbelievable.

Everything is just so clean, defined, and huge! I also have the normal CD, and it's very much noticably better.

I am running it through an Arcam A65 2 channel amp, and LSi9s.

Drooolll.....

Hopefully more artist will realize that this is the way to go!

- Steve
LSi 9/C/FX
Arcam AVR-200
Post edited by Steve@3dai on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Steve,
    Don't get to pumped over DvD audio, ther's hardly no software.
    I have Both dvd audio and Sacd and only have a few disc's.Yes they both sound much better than cd's.I love the way they both sound.But I'm depressed on software, I went to Best Buy last week wanting to but a new dvD audio disc or a sacd and came home with nothing.I hate it..........
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Yea, I feel your pain looking at the selection.

Now, the question is, is it the recording studios not having equipment that is possible of 192kHz/24bit or is it just the fact that most people can't tell the difference between Bose and Polk? ;)

Ooo, the whoes of being hi-fi(ish)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Steve, I got the Metallica DVD-A. Freaking awesome. One of the best I have heard.;)
  • Steve@3dai
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Unfortunately, I do not like Metallica ;) But, it's almost tempting since it's on DVD-A.

Dammit.

Where's the Miles? Herbie Hancock?(SACD is where he is at) Monk? Argh...

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    I've seen a couple of Miles discs on SACD at Best Buy...Kind of Blue and (I believe) Sketches of Spain. I think SACD seems to have a lot more jazz titles available (probably because Sony holds the rights)...you might check out towerrecords.com. for more jazz on DVD Audio. This is why I have been holding off on buying a new player with SACD or DVD Audio...I can't figure out which would give me more titles...I've read that there a couple of new players out from Pioneer and (ugh) Apex that will play both, so I guess I might be waiting a bit longer until a brand I like follows suit. Good luck!
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hey guy's
    I own the Pioneer Elite dv47a.It plays both SACD AND DVD-AUDIO
    the whole reason I bought this player is the fact it can do both, then I realized I now have one of the best dvd player on the market.Video on this player is awesome.
    SACD seem's to favor jazz and classical.dvd audio has more for everybody.But with no software support from both, i'm left feeling down about the new format's.I heard the Metallica dvd audio go, it's killer sounding,but I'm tired of that album as I have listened to it since it came out years ago.It seems new music don't come out on eighter format.I was hoping to avoid this by having both.I was wrong.
    well like the rest of you I will just have to sit back and wait/hope they release more title's this summer.
    Dan
    Dan
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    How would you compare the Metallica's "Black" album in DVD-A vs. CD? I find the recording quality of the CD to be lacking. Along the same lines, I was listening to their S&M CD the other day and was pretty shocked at how bad that recording was. I know it's a live concert, but they should have been able to much better.

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Options
    How would you compare the Metallica's "Black" album in DVD-A vs. CD? I find the recording quality of the CD to be lacking.
    Aaron, I agree I am not impressed with hardly any of the recording quality of the Metallica CD's. The Load CD's are probably the best. The Black album on DVD-A is like night and day. I was blown away. It truley shows the benifits of DVD-A over CD. I read the reviews on it before I bought it. To most Metallica is not there cup of tea, but they were even impressed with the sound quality. Great use of all speakers on this one. If you like them it is a MUST BUY. ;)
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The back album on DvD audio is superior.It is night and day.I agree.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    well I went shopping for DVD AUDIO AND SACD'S today and guess what????I'm not any closer to filling the rack's with new disk's then when I left the house.
    Somebody better start releasing new titles or..........I might have to mail order....that suck's
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    Options
    im to waiting for more software to come out before i get the hardware, i been looking at the pioneer dv-47a multi-player. so far its the one to get.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Joe,
    if your in the market for a new DVD player, it is the one to get just for the new format's.It does however meet all my expetation's on video and audio quality.Video is razor sharpe in interlaced and progressive,and has killer dynamic range for audio.
    You cna start enjoying the new sound format's now but you will be mad(most likely)when you shop for disk's and want more.
    This is the only thing that suck's about owning the dv47a,but in time (hopefully) they will release more music of diferent kind's suited of all kind's of listener's.
    Good luck if all fail's you are still left with a killer dvd player!
    Dan
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I got the Pioneer 38A instead of the 47A, better built quality, THX Ultra certified for the video, insolated components, separate heavy duty power supplies, excellent sound for DVD-A. BTW, pick up the new Eagle and Foreigner 4 DVD-A, you're in for a real treat, the Queen's "night of the opera" is going to be released in 10 days including the multi-channel version of the classic "Bohemian Rhapsody" Cheers...
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I was also going to buy the 38a, but we sold out of them to fast and I wanted both music format's.There will be a new Dvd player with sacd/dvd audio and NO CHROMA BUG....at least thats what they are saying.And it will have built quality like your awesome 38a....good choice by the way.Good tip on the Queen Album...I will have to pick that up.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    edited April 2002
    Options
    thanks mantis, what would be a sale price for the dv-47a, and are they going to come out with a newer model later, and how is the redbook 2 channel sound on the dv-47a.
    right now im using a dv-7000a sony dvd player as a redbook cd transport, had it since 1997 and i need to upgrade, no telling how many hrs. are on it, it still sounds like new, but i need a new transport.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    It list's for 1200.00, it sell's for 999.00, if you can beat that ....that
    s good.
    Yes they are.....a dv48a, It's going to be a killer player at a killer price...around the 2 grand mark.It will have better built quality,no chroma buy, digital bass management,etc.
    The Dv47a make's for a fine cd transport.I love the way mine sound's.I also use transparent musicwave interconnect's.I use the 6 channel oass threw to hear it go.
    Go check it out, But the way your dvd player was a great peice back then.
    Dan
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    Options
    You can get the Pioneer Elite DVD-47A at Soundpros.com for $735 and I think they offer free shipping as of last week. A note: The 47A can play both SACD and DVD-A, but I believe for SACD, it can only plays 2 ch high definition sound, not 5.1... I paid $966 plus shipping for the 38A...
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Just picked up the "Rumors" dvd. I was amazed at how good this sounds. I'm hoping some of my othe favorites are released in this format in the near future.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • joe logston
    edited April 2002
    Options
    yes on the sony dv-7000s, it one of the best sony made, i hope the next one i get will live up to it
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    the dv47a play's both 2ch and 6 channel sacd.It's a steat for 700 buck,just make sure your warranty isn't voided if you buy online.
    Dan
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Fleetwood Mac on DVD-A is great.. so is Barenaked Ladies... Maroon, Foreigner 4,
    Riding with the King BB King & Eric Clapton.

SACD has better titles out than DVD-A does right now. DVD-A is very slow to release the really good music.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    the dv47a play's both 2ch and 6 channel sacd.It's a steat for 700 buck,just make sure your warranty isn't voided if you buy online.

Soundpros.com is an authorized Pioneer dealer, no problem on the warranty, all Elite series have 2 years parts and labor warranty.
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Fleetwood Mac on DVD-A is great.. so is Barenaked Ladies... Maroon, Foreigner 4,

I played the Foreigner 4 DVD disc, track number 3 "Break it up", the begining of the song right before the lyric starts, at the loudest and lowest notes (bass), my PWS1200 shut down for 5 seconds, damm...I try it again a few times, samething, lower the sub volume down, it works but I can hear the bass...
    Any way the DVD player is the Elite 38a, it does has the bass management sep up for DVD-A...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hmmm? not sure why your sub would shut down for any amount of time.. has it done this before? All i can think is that it's a overload protection circuit doing that. Maybe someone from Polk can better answer this one.
    How do you like the Foreigner 4 otherwise? I like the "nearly unplugged" versions of Juke Box Hero and Waiting for a girl like you.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PETERNG
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Yes it's a overload protection circuit alright, however I don't think it's right because it never does that before, only happened when I replaced my old Panasonic A7 player by the new DVD38A. I need to tune up the bass mgt in this player some more, I will take care this problem this weekend...Yes I like the Foreigner 4 DVD-A a lot, I also have the other one: "Feel like the first time" too. The unplugged versions are great, just like a true to life picture of the band...