People begin to line up for "Attack of the Clowns"

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm reaeding thru the local Orange County, CA. Register this morning and what to my eyes behold (no, not a beer ad), but 2 people sitting in lawn chairs outside the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in L.A. for May 16th.

First, this proves my theory that there are living brain doners on this planet and secondly I'd love to see this movie's release get pushed back till Xmas.

Peace Out~:confused:
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Lucas is off my Xmas card list.

I'm going to see SPIDERMAN.

BTW, Ron E's got a sneak preview review of the SPIDERMAN movie at the HTF and he says it rocks! (But then again, he really really liked TRAINING DAY, so what do you know?)

I'm still going to have to actually go to the movies and see it, I guess.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I agree, what a waste, don't these people have jobs???? Familys???? 2-channel systems????

Attack of the clones, how ****, the whole thing is ****, they should have left it at the original 3 episodes.

I hear Jar-Jar will be making a return appearance, too bad I'll NEVER see it, and I consider myself a fan of epsds 4-6, and just barely 6.....(salavageable due to the same orig chars)

Cheers,
    Russ

All I know is the toliet better watch out, I'm fixing to direct 'Attack of the mexican-food-beer-turds'
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm still going to have to actually go to the movies and see it, I guess.
    You really are a sick person...seek help.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    No NO! I mean SPIDERMAN, not the clone thing.

I'll go see SPIDERMAN.
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    Options
    'Training Day' is excellent
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    OK Micah, glad we cleared that up........your fine.

.....and Training Day sucked donkey sack.

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    TRAINING DAY really was not a good movie for a multitude of reasons, most obviously the lame direction and lazy writing and lazy acting by the two "Oscar-caliber" leads. Blah. It just didn't entertain me. Didn't make me think, didn't challenge me. And didn't deserve an Oscar.

Blah.

What do you think was excellent about TRAINING DAY?
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I agree Micah, it was a very lazy, boring bad cop/good cop movie with a cookie-cutter story/plot.

If...
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Jeepers

Well for starters the writing is great. It's a 'smart' story.

I saw it before the reviews came out, so I didn't know how rotten Washington's character was until they raided that house and he blows Sam Shepard away.

There were just so many scenes that had a high level of intensity.

Washington played 'out of character' or 'type' and I thought he absolutely kicked ****.
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    We're gonna go a round on this, I see.

>>
    Well for starters the writing is great. It's a 'smart' story.
    <<

The writing is lame. It's lame when a writer falls back on stereotype to express ideas. You could play a drinking game with how many times Denzel's character says, "Dog," and "It's all good." He never ever -- until the little speech in the car after the murder -- expresses an actual idea. And by then, who cares?

Want great writing in a "smart" Denzel Washington film? See GLORY. Very smart, very great.

>>
    and he blows Sam Shepard away.
    <<

You mean Scott Glenn. But as good as Scott Glenn was sleepwalking thru that role -- did he need the money? -- it may as well have been cardboard old Sam Shepard.

>>
    There were just so many scenes that had a high level of intensity.
    <<

I must have nodded off for those scenes.

>>
    Washington played 'out of character' or 'type' and I thought he absolutely kicked ****.
    <<

But... He didn't. Kick **** I mean. He posed. He didn't act. He wasn't being "an actor." He was being a stereotype. Again, see GLORY. It's not a "type" (since he's played cops before: THE SIEGE, THE BONE COLLECTOR [in which he acted better with his only moving finger than he did in TRAINING DAY, even tho TBC sucked, too], DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS, VIRTUOSITY...), it's a role. And he was just goofy.

See GLORY again, and you'll kick yourself for thinking that TRAINING DAY was any good. For that matter, see any "cop/buddy" movie -- 48 HOURS even -- and you'll wonder what was so good about TRAINING DAY.

[ding!]

:D
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I like you a bunch, I really do...but just a good rule of thumb...don't argue with Micah on a movie opinion post...

Not that it can't be won, it is just a lot of effort, I've never seen his opinion swayed, not ONCE in the 5+ years I've been around...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thank you. Thank you very much.

[bow to the crowd, bow to the crowd]

:cool:
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Russ, got a pin to pop Micah's head.

Although, good post there Micah.

If...
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    of course -- Scott Glenn -- I knew that. Where in the hell did I get Sam Shepard? Is that the character he played in 'The Right Stuff'?

I must be losing it.

Did I mention that 'Training Day' was great?
    Dean

• RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know so much about quality in all of Micah's posts, but he does use the King's English fairly eloquently....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm sorry but I am with Dean on this one.

First off what is Denzel supposed to say? I did not here "Dog" and "It's all good" once during the cofee shop scene. Not once! And that was not a little speech. In fact I remember quite a bit of dialogue in the car scenes also. And very few if any of it was DOG or ITS ALL GOOD.

And even though those lines were used to some excess, is that the language being used in Compton and those areas on South Los Angelas? I would venture to say yes. All though i do not run around with the Crips and Bloods so I cannot say for sure. So they are using language that is current with the scene. And yes Denzel was GREAT in Glory, but your talking about a different type of movie, and in all reality a different actor. Denzel has changed since then. And personally not for the good.

And if you did not find the drug smoking scene intense enough for you then for some reson this movie was just set up for failure for you. (The scene when Ethan does not want to smoke the pipe) And I mean set up for failure, I mean that you have/had heard such great things about the movie that you were expecting the second coming of christ......and it never came. That happened to me with "There's Something about Mary" everyone said how funny it was then I go to see it and I had heard or seen all the funny parts and it was just not funny by that point.

Just showing another point of view. You may and probably will not agree, but oh well. Had to get that off my chest.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    That happened to me with "There's Something about Mary" everyone said how funny it was then I go to see it and I had heard or seen all the funny parts and it was just not funny by that point.
    That's funny; the same thing happened to me when I finally got around to seeing it.

Aaron
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Back on the star wars thing........Are you a star Wars fan?
    If yes, why wouldn't you go see the movie?If no that makes sense.
    Star Wars ......Why wouldn't you want to know what Happened up untill ep4.I don't get it.All the unanswered question's.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dean. Just so someone doesen't take advantage of you with some kind of bet or contest, let me help you with Scott Glenn And Sam Shepard. In the Right Stuff, Scott played ALAN Shepard. Sam Shepard played Chuck Yeager.

I thought Training Day was O.K. but not really award worthy.

joe
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I agree with Mantis. It's a package deal. I have a feeling Micah will go see it, like it and deny ever going to see it. Or after seeing it for a 3rd time, will say that he finally got around to it.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I want to avoid the new STAR WARS movie. I really really do. I just don't want to go. Seeing TPM was like seeing MEATBALLS IV or whichever one had that little green rubber alien kid at the camp... I mean, it was just one of the worst movie-going experiences I've ever had.

I've read the books (the original books, so I have some sense of the pre-story), and seen the original trilogy of films, and I really believe that the only one of any real honest quality is the very first untainted film, EPISODE 4, if you will. I am a HUGE FAN of that film.

And yet of course there's this little voice -- we've all been genetically manipulated by Spielucas to feel it -- that we HAVE to go see this movie or something horrible will happen to us, we'll miss something so culturally important that we'll be perpetually "out of the loop" for the next 20 years if we miss it. And it's playing at The Senator, a theater I want to support...

But I really am going to try my best NOT to see it. I am. I will avoid it like I avoided FORREST GUMP. I will. If I do see it, don't worry, I'll talk about it I'm sure.

And TRAINING DAY really was bad. Stop trying to stand up for it. You all sound like the Oscar selection committee (see: http://www.salon.com/ent/letters/2002/03/28/oscar/). It was lazily directed and lazily written. If you give me a few minutes, I'll find many many better, more well done "Bad Cop" films for you. I don't care what they're sayin' in Compton, you can tell a story without resorting to stereotype. See MENACE II SOCIETY. Never for one moment during MIIS do you feel pandered to, talked down to. Please, just let TRAINING DAY go away.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Wanna see a really good "Bad Cop" film? See one of these:

BAD BOYS
    BAD LIEUTENANT
    THE BIG EASY
    CHINATOWN
    COLORS
    DIRTY HARRY
    FORT APACHE, THE BRONX
    THE FRENCH CONNECTION
    PRINCE OF THE CITY
    SERPICO
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Ep.4-5 WERE Star Wars

Ep. 1-3 ARE Cartoon Wars.

There is no need for 1-3....4-6 can stand alone as a complete Trilogy. I will buy the DVDs, but no way are they worth the price of $8.50 to see in a theater.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, a fan of 4, 5 & 6, those ARE Star Wars.

If...
  • bkleinke
    bkleinke Posts: 51
    edited April 2002
    Options
    SW 4-6 are true classices, but alas no DVDs and thus I'm stuck with TPM for my SW needs.

But back to the point of this thread. People sitting in line for even 12 hours to see a movie are nuts IMO.

BTW IMHO Training Day wasn't Bad, but it wasn't Good either....

Brian
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    Options
    a good cop movie is la. comfidential, i like that one better than training day
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    true Star Wars fan will gosee the movie.If you can take it for what is worth, you will get alot out of it im sure. will be there opening day, I'm taking off from work so I can see the first showing.
    Dan
    Dan
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    "You fought with my father in the clone wars?" Luke Skywalker. Notice the use of the word wars in the past tense.

I won't wait in line, but the first available weekend I'll get the nice and early for a good seat.

The original STAR WARS ruled! There is no doubt about that. I will never compare any movie expectations to it. That's just unfair.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    sEEM'S LIKE RON IS ANTI-123.You will just miss out on all the fun!!
    I went and saw Ep1 without any expectation''s.And I left the theater wanting more.I liked seeing OB1's teacher.Young mother of Luke and Leya.What Dartyh Vader was like as a kid.I could go on and on.So what Jar Jar was in the movie.Thats just the part for kid's to enjoy.Whole package movie,I think EP2 will just continue the same way.From what Ive read, it will be alittle faster paced.
    Any comment's?????
    Dan
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Anyone seen 'Training Day' -- damn good movie.
    Dean

• Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Not anti-1,2,3, just don't think they are worth the price of admission. I will buy the DVDs and enjoy them in my HT. There is just not enough there to justify a trip to the theater.
    Anyone seen 'Training Day' -- damn good movie.
    Dean, you misspelled a word, let me fix your comment
    Anyone seen 'Training Day' -- damn **** movie.

If...