looking at new speakers

Options
dave shepard
dave shepard Posts: 1,334
edited September 2005 in Speakers
I have been mauling over this for some time. I have been to quite a few differant shops looking for a new pre-pro and developing relationships with the shops and have heard a number of differant set-ups (Snell, D-Tec, Kilpsch etc). The one that always seems to come back and haunt me with their sound is the B&W 803N's on Rotel gear. The first time I heard them was alittle over a year ago and I wasn't even the one looking (another customer was) and when the salesmen powered them up the sound just came out and grabbed by the shirt, over all the other speakers running those stood out. Now I'm looking at getting a pair for 2-channel or possibly changing out all my current speakers and going with all B&W. I have talked with another reputable shop and he suggested I get the Dali Helicon 400's, he said that they retail for $4500pr and would sell them to me for $3200pr shipped satisfaction guaranteed or money back and said that they have a better sound then B&W. Anybody have any thoughts on Dali's?
Also if I did deside to sell all my speakers can someone be nice enough to give me an idea of what I could possibly get for them. 2pr 38's were bought from Club Members.

2pr Rti-70's (1pr is a 10/10 the other pr is 8/10)
3-Csi40's (all are 10/10)
3pr-Rti38's (2 are 10/10, 1 is 8/10)
1pr-FX1000's (10/10)

Thanks
Dave
Post edited by dave shepard on

Comments

• dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 560
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey Dave, I have no idea what the 70's or 38's are worth but I may be interested in those. Let me know what you decide to do. Jeez I wonder what shipping is on those things to Chicago! Cmon cheap UPS ground!
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 560
    edited September 2005
    Options
    dave you have PM
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'm suprised to see no other replies to this thead. Dave we talked and I feel you have something to work with.

Good luck man

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I may be interested in the Fx`s..
    Let me know what ya want for them..

I`m callin dibs if it`s not too much..
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hi Dave,
    The B&W's do sound very good with Rotel gear. An opinion shared by many B&W owners is that Rotel is very good until you get into the 800 series. The 800's sound best with a little more. If you do go with Rotel, get the 380 watt amp. Otherwise go with Classe, Sunfire, Krell. I use Krell with my CDM7nt's, awesome sound.

I think the Dali Helicon's were reviewed recently in Audiophile or Home Theater, good write up. I never heard them though.
    Venom