Denon DVD-2900

Options
woodyjacobs
woodyjacobs Posts: 706
edited September 2005 in Electronics
Hey guys. Anyone use a Denon DVD-2900? I just won one at auction (overstock.com's auction section) for $35 plus shipping...supposedly it even works (we'll see about that). No remote though, so I'll have to use a universal. I know a newer model is out now but seem to remember this is a pretty well regarded universal player...it should at least be better than my old Toshiba SD4800 or JVC DVD/VCR combo unit. Again, that is assuming it really works. But the seller is one I have bought a good bit of stuff from on ebay...they now are working exclusively through overstock.com. So we will see.
system 1:
Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
Post edited by woodyjacobs on

Comments

• SniperREX
    SniperREX Posts: 930
    edited September 2005
    Options
    That's a killer deal!!!

TVs: Samsung S95B 65" QD-OLED (den) and LG C2 42" OLED (office)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X3700H (den) and Denon AVR-X2300W (den)
    SACD and DVD-A player: Oppo BDP-83
    Mains: Polk RTi8 (den) and Dali Ikon 8 (office)
    Center: Polk CSi5 (den) and Polk CSi3 (office)
    Surrounds: Polk FXi5 (den) and Velodyne surrounds (office)
    Sub: SVS PB-2000 (den) and PCi 16-46 (office)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
    Options
    DVD-2900.... for $35 plus shipping....

Holy Crap!!!! That's one of the best DVD players ever made. You do know how much those cost new don't ya?! I've got a 2200 and LOVE it.
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Oh yeah, I know. Let's just hope it works as described and makes it though shipping okay (EssexTech's packaging it oftem pretty lame). If not I'm not out much...if it does...SWEET.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
  • lomic
    lomic Posts: 407
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Though it is an amazing machine, the 2900 often has all sorts of problems. For $35 it probably has at least one of the more serious problems the player commonly has, but hopefully it will work. If just one of the "universal" functions works, it's still a great deal. If everything works...wow!
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited September 2005
    Options
    HOLY CRAP! That's cheap as hell for that. I paid $600 for mine on clearance earlier this year! I hope it works. Even if it doesn't, you can get it fixed for less than most are selling for. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2005
    Options
    My 2900 has been working flawlessly for over 2 years. The remote crashed and burned but I was able to fix it.

I paid full price new and if you got the box on the cheap you have a true investment. I will not spend 1 dollar more on a Transport or DAC for a long time to come.

Thats my opinion anyway.

twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey Woody J.,

I bought my #2900 at a closeout price of $600.00 about 4 months ago. It has great picture quality over my Sony $130.00 player. The colors are much more vivid and clear to see. It can be cotrolled by my Denon receiver remote as well so not having the original remote is no big deal.

.............Goodluck with it!
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Cool guys, thanks for the feedback, I'm looking forward to getting it!
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey guys!

Okay I got the Denon (along with a ton of other stuff including a Yammie DVDS2300, a Sony DVCP500es, a set of Definitive ProCinema 60s, a Panny SAXR25 digital amp receiver, a Denon UDM50 mini system and a Yammy executive minisystem - all for $360 including shipping) and it is impressive. Seems to play everything flawlessly except for one exception.

I can't get anything other than stereo out of my Diana Krall Live in Paris DVD...I've tried tons of other DVDs with no issues...but it just refuses to send anything other than a 2 channel signal for this DVD. I've tried both the DD5.1 and DTS tracks and get the same result. I've tried other concert DVDs, DVD Audio discs, SACD discs etc...no problems. I am using the Digital Coaxial out (and 6 channel analog outs for DVDA and SACD). I fiddled in the DVD player setup menu and couldn't get anything different out of it. Any ideas from you DVD 2900 (or other Denon DVD players) owners?

BTW, the build quality is superb. I was also very impressed with the build quality of the Yammy DVDS2300 universal player...I think it actually outweighs the DVD2900. I'm going to have to pop the hood on that.

So anyway I will be spending all weekend testing this stuff and seeing what is going back to essextech and what is staying. I did buy some of this stuff to flip it on ebay and make a few bucks...I can really use the money right now. But I will definitely keep either the DVD2900 or the Yammy DVDS2300...or maybe both.

Thanks again.

Woody
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Great deal, Woody! On the 2900's remote, there is a button for Audio that will let you toggle through the different audio tracks. I know you don't have the original remote, so does your universal have anything similar you can use?
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Maybe that is what I am missing. No, unfortunately my universal doesn't seem to have a button for that command. It is odd though that I can't get it play a surround track on that disc only. Oh well, I will keep playing with it.

By the way guys, they have a DVD5900 on there now ending tomorrow...bid was at about $250 last I saw. I imagine it will wind up going for 500 or so..including remote and manual (not sure about the power cable). If anyone is looking for one of these check it out. Overstock.com auctions, essextech is the seller.
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I got a receiver from Essex last year. It looked like they just dropped it in the cheapest box they could find and shipped it! It was pretty beat up. I looked at the Denon DVD players they had too, but the reveiws on the 2900's made me think twice. Hopefully yours will be one of the good ones.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Maybe that is what I am missing. No, unfortunately my universal doesn't seem to have a button for that command. It is odd though that I can't get it play a surround track on that disc only. Oh well, I will keep playing with it.

By the way guys, they have a DVD5900 on there now ending tomorrow...bid was at about $250 last I saw. I imagine it will wind up going for 500 or so..including remote and manual (not sure about the power cable). If anyone is looking for one of these check it out. Overstock.com auctions, essextech is the seller.
    This is what you need woody.
    http://www.remotes.com/remotes/servlet/rs?a=gmi&uid=1126451693687&smodel=DVD2900&brand_pn=DENON_DVD2900
    JT
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    jtgranby wrote:

Yeah, and it costs as much as he paid for the player :D . But still it would be something that I would want if I had it.

Woody, please let me know if you decide to let either of the universals go, as I could really use one.

Thanks,

Noel
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2005
    Options
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited September 2005
    Options
    dont know about the2900 as much but according to the specs, the yamaha actually has two discrete and shielded boards, one for the SACD circuit and another for the DVD/DVDA circuits. may account for the weight...thing is built like a tank....
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey guys, 2900 continues to work great. I've also been running the Sony 555es and it is a very nice player too...on my TV I can't tell a difference with the video quality at all. I do think the Denon takes it up a notch in sound quality in multi-channel. Will keep listening.

The Yammie Universal sounds very good too...but seems to have a bad video chip...I can't get any video output at all, no matter which set of outputs I use (component, Svideo or composite). I'm gonna fiddle with it more tomorrow before I decided what to do with it. Considering I only have 60 bucks in it and essex won't pay return shipping (which would be at least 15 as heavy as the thing is) I may just keep it and use it as a dedicated multi-channel audio player...I would only lose the on-screen menu functionality.

Hey ND13, if you have any interest in the Yammie 2300 for audio-only use let me know, you can have it for what I paid for it. Let me just test it out a little more and make sure I don't find any other issues. And if you are not interested no prob too.
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    ooo and thanks for the remote link JT. I will definitely grab that if I keep it!
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote:
    I got a receiver from Essex last year. It looked like they just dropped it in the cheapest box they could find and shipped it! It was pretty beat up. I looked at the Denon DVD players they had too, but the reveiws on the 2900's made me think twice. Hopefully yours will be one of the good ones.

You're right about that. They are often very light on the cushioning materials too...often using just brown wadded up heavyweight paper. I won an auction with two Polk RM sets (a 6900 and a 6800, sans subwoofers) last year...they threw all 10 satellites into a big box with just a little bit of paper in the bottom and on the sides (none on top!) and shipped it. And those buggers are heavy...so they were bouncing around in there with no cushioning around/between the speakers from Nashville to hear. Amazingly they all made it with only scuffs and scratches.

All of this stuff that I just got from them was a bit better packaged...there was some of those big poofy air-filled things tossed in there. Nothing like what you would get from a fellow polkie though (in general).
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • fireshoes
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey Woody, I found the remote for $24 @ http://atv.partsearch.com/product.asp?issub=0&oldInventoryID=

edit..the link didn't go exactly to the remote but you'll find it ;)

Also, on my Yamaha DVDCX1, there is a Video Off mode that defeats the video circuitry when you are just listening to music. My players has a light on the front to indicate if the Video Off mode is engaged. There is a button on the remote near the top to toggle it.
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    dangit, I betcha that is what it is...a video off mode. I wondered if there might be something like that but with my universal remote I couldn't get the setup menu up...which of course would probably be on screen anyhow. I wish I knew someone local that had either this or another high-end Yammie DVD model that I could borrow the remote to try out.

I better go online and get the manual and see what I can figure out...or figure out how much the remote is.

Is yours the dVD recorder?
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    btw, nice link on that remote for $25! Looks like they have the Yammie remote too...but it is $55. Hmmmm..
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • fireshoes
    edited September 2005
    Options
    No, mine is the changer. I think it came out the same year as the 2300 or maybe a year sooner. No SACD though.
  • fireshoes
    edited September 2005
    Options
    $55 seems to be the best price I can find for the remote. One place wanted $92!
  • billbillw
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Woody,
    The problem with the Diana Krall disk is a known issue. It is not your lack of a remote. There is a firmware update that fixes this problem. You can find the file here:
    http://www.audioholics.com/firmware/index.php

I've picked up a few things from those auctions too. I hope we weren't bidding on the same stuff.
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Woody, if the Yamaha has teh Video Off, there is a little light above the display screen that lights up. If that is on, you need a remote to turn it on....there is no button on the face of the unit to turn that feature that I am aware of...
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • billbillw
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Woody,
    You can also get Yamaha remotes directly from Yamaha. Its only $52.50 directy from Yamaha.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/remotes/remote_order_info.htm

These remotes also pop up on Ebay from time to time if you are patient. I picked up one for $8 shipped on an auction that closed with no bids recently.
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yes I noticed that....it is not lit...I actually did some fiddling and found that a video signal is being sent from component jacks...but it seems to be scrambled. It could just be set wrong, but I can't read the menu to know what to do to change it. Sounds the original remote is gonna be the only thing to make this unit work right.
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel
  • billbillw
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yes I noticed that....it is not lit...I actually did some fiddling and found that a video signal is being sent from component jacks...but it seems to be scrambled. It could just be set wrong, but I can't read the menu to know what to do to change it. Sounds the original remote is gonna be the only thing to make this unit work right.

If your TV is not Progressive capable, and the unit is set to output progressive, you will get that corrupt image. Is the progressive light on the panel lit up? The remote is the only way to get into the menus it seems.
  • woodyjacobs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yeah most player have a switch on the back to turn progessive on/off. Not so on this one.
    system 1:

system 2:

2 channel