DAMN!!! i received my c400.4 but....

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys, im happy and mad,... i received my c400.4 :D
but i cant put the 4awg from the battery to the distro because cant found any place where put the wire!!! cant pass the firewall!!!!

all the day trying and trying without lucky, is ok if i create a new hole? :S

hope someone can help me.
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• Siegel1719
    Siegel1719 Posts: 28
    edited August 2005
    yeah just drill a hole(Check twice that there is nothing in the way then check one more time) and throw a grommet in then run your wire thoguh the hole.

Jeremy
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    ^ agreed.

Like he said tho, be sure to check again cause I thought there was always a big enough hole in the firewall already with a grommet an everything.

But if not, cut your own.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    what kind of car?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    Alfa Romeo 145
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    well can someone tellme where to drill the hole :D and what can i use to protect the wire against to be cut with the movements of the car?

yeah, my english sux :D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    i have no experience with that car, so id find a space in the engine compartment that looks clear. Grab the smallest drill bit you have and drill the hole on the inside where you think that clear spot is. Once drilled, leave the drill bit in the hole and go back and look for the drill bit to make sure youre not around anything important, then drill the appropiate size hole from there.

The first where I would drill is on the side of the battery in your car(your battery is in the engine bay, not under the back seat right?), that way you save power wire. Drill as high as you can so it will not be as hard to find it when you start putting it through. You can buy rubber grommets at any auto store im sure, or just a lot of electrical tape.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    yes, the battery is in the engine bay.

i need to do the drill under the wipers ? i mean where the motors of the wipers are?

or under that?
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    It doesnt really matter where you drill as long as youre not drilling into anything.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    ok,, first ill create an small hole in the grommet that are in the car, and see if trough it i can goto the engine. if not, ill close the new hole with electrical tape or something like that and create a new one in the chassis of the car, tomorrow, ill send some pics :D

thanks guys
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    Sam...

look for where the wires from the car's underhood computer go into the firewall. if you still can't find a hole, do as cody described, and drill a small hole somewhere that you have room and then double check to be sure there are not any other wires or metal things you may be hitting.

if you can not find a grommet to put around the wire, then you can wrap the wire in a lot of electrical tape, slide it into the hole, and then use RTV silicone (its that black rubber stuff that they use on oil pans or transmission pan covers as a sealer) to seal around the hole... that'll keep the wire from moving and keep water from leaking into your passenger compartment.

p.s. - you're english is not as bad as mine is when i'm drunk. :)

on a side note - isn't an alfa romero a very expensive italian car? i could have sworn they were some sort of little fast sports car, like a slightly cheaper version of a porsche that looked more like a pontiac fiero.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    i found an hole but is too away (just see it from inside the car) its located like 30 cm over the brake pedals, cant put my hand easy there... i try to move the wires that are trough the hole and is impossible, try to remove the rubber grommet and is impossible too, try to put an screwdriver trough it and is impossible too, tomorrow ill drill an small hole and will put an wire there to see if can i located the other side of the rubber (i mean in the engine side) if i can located it, so i just will drill an bigger hole and put the 4AWG wire trough it.

is ok to use 4AWG from the batterty to the distro and from the distro 8awg to the C400.4 and another 8AWG to the C500.1? (i will receive the c500.1 in 1 or 2 weeks)

and the gnd, is ok to use 8AWG from the car chassis to the amps?

another question, i changed the original terminal of the battery and used the same wires that come with the car is ok if i add another 4AWG Wire from the battery to the Chassis? doing that i can be safer is some of the originals wires got disconnected from the terminal or just if the originals ones are not enough for the new consumption of energy :D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    sam...

1- using 4 AWG from the battery to the distro block and then 8 gauge from the distro block to EACH amp is perfectly fine - that is how it is intended to be done. for the ground you should use 8 gauge from EACH amp to the metal floor of the car. (make sure you scrape the paint off the floor where you screw the wire down for grounding or it will not make contact properly.)

2- as far as the battery terminals... if you would like to "improve" your ground ( - ), you can add a SHORT 4 AWG wire from the ( - ) battery terminal to the fender or frame or some other metal piece in the engine compartment. don't run it all the way back to the amplifiers... that would be too long of a wire. this would take care of the current ("energy") needs of your audio system as well as help out the rest of your car if you forgot any of the original ground wires.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    Thug...

I hate those hard plastic grommets - the little rubber ones are so much nicer. the plastic ones just give me migranes man.

I did myelf a favor in the 88- i put a HUGE 3" diameter hole in the firewall and put this big giant rubber "hole plug" thing in it - then i just drilled little holes in the rubber whenever i wanted to run a wire through it - made wiring a whole vehicle immensely easier. i've got to have between 20 and 35 wires running through that damn hole.
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    :)

ok, yes i was asking abt place an short wire from the battery to the chassis, is ok if i put it in the same place as other GND wire? i mean using the same screw that another GND wire? so will be 2 wires from the batter to the same screw.

ill put the amps under the seats and cover it with an carpet when are turn off, (so ppl dont see so easy where are they located) and will screw an GND terminal under the rear seat (hope i dont perforate anything) :D

thanks for your help guys
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    good luck brother :)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2005
    Thug...

I hate those hard plastic grommets - the little rubber ones are so much nicer. the plastic ones just give me migranes man.

I think partexpress sells the rubber Phoenix Gold grommets as well.
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    Today i start to changed the Batter Terminal

what do you think abt this connection?

1.JPG

2.JPG

is ok right?

:D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    wow - i'm very surprised you were able to solder 4 AWG and 8 AWG that well.

that's a very good job!
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    ok, now im soldering 2 4awg and 1 0AWG :D

but i will use some terminal

take a look

3.JPG
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    i will use 3 ring terminals and put inside the hole an screw and close it with an nut after that ill weld it together using tin

hope understand my english some words i take it from the dictonary :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    that should work really well sam... by welding the group of wire terminals together after they have been screwed down, you will have a nice solid connection. that's a a really good idea.

your english is getting better, seriously. when i compare your older posts to your newer ones, you are getting your ideas across a lot more clearly. i just hope that we are responding to you as clearly. i usually use a lot of "slang" (words that have non-dictionary meanings) but i've been trying to stay away from that when responding to your questions. :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    xxxxxxxxxx deleted message xxxxxxxx
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    wow,, the c400.4 is running (after like 14 hours of installing)

its not screwed already but its moving the speakers, and ITS AMAZING!!!!
    is the first time that i ear an car power amplifier (yeah its the first time that i see an car amp too close) :D and its great....

i cant up the volume more than 23 (and maximum is 40) tomorrow ill try with the pasive crossovers and thesubwoofer, now i just test it using the active crossover and the mmc6500.

ill send you some pics tomorrow :)
  • SamSagaZ
    edited September 2005
    really dont like the sound of the subwoofers :( mabye its because the crossover is not set right

ill try to fix it today...

at least the sw are moved :)

i bought the subwoofers like 1 year ago, and is the first time that i ear it....
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    What dont you like about them?

Remember theyll take a while to get fully broken in and itll take some time for you to get your system tweaked and tuned the way you like it. I guarantee you there is nothing wrong with those subs, they just will not sound bad on their own. Something else is screwy.

• SamSagaZ
    edited September 2005
    well im a newbie with crossovers and tweaking the freqs....

i really want that the sub not sound so flat sound i want an HIT an PUNCH instead an long sound...

hope you undestand.....

btw, wich are the default frecuencies for an crossover, dont know where to start :D

or at least someone know some tutorial abt how tweak the system from the beggining?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2005
    sam...

CROSSOVER MODE = " LP "

FREQUENCY MULTIPLICATION SWITCH = " X1 "

this will allow you to adjust the low pass filter for the subwoofer from 50 to 500 hertz.

So by setting the dial about 1/4 above " 50/500 " marking should give you about 85 hertz. from there, play with it until it sounds best to your ear.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited September 2005
    also ... i would disconnect the subwoofer, and tune the rest of your system. get your regular speakers sounding the way you want them and then reconnect the subwoofer and adjust the subwoofer until it blends with the rest of the system.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    If youre getting too much boom then you may have the low pass set too low. Thats about the only thing I can think of cause my MM2104 hits pretty good. I mean its not Brahma but it aint shabby for 350 watts in a sealed box.