DirecTV Subscribers A must read

Options
2»

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Got it installed today, with all the trimmings, also called right after the installer left and started making up some things that I thought I should have, OK, so I told her that I was to get HBO/Showtime package for free for 6 months, 6 Months of HD and Local programming for 1/2 off, etc. etc. All in all, I went with the Total Premier Choice, w/ HD/Local and 5 receivers (2 HD) for 92.00 a mo. for 6 months. After that it goes to 125 a mo. or so, but I will be sure to call this number again, and complain about something, like when am I going to be able to get the local affiliates in HD?
    Scott
  • RobXant
    RobXant Posts: 201
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I was thinking about replacing my DirecTivo with a DirecTivoHD and did some research and found that it's a risky proposition, even considering the large discount.

The current HD codec that DirecTV is using will be replaced beginning 4Q '05 with a newer codec (mpeg4?) when their new satellite goes online. This new codec isn't supported by the DirecTivoHD. I've read that anyone with an HD box would get a new, mpg4 codec compatible, HD box for free. Since Tivo's contract with DirecTV is sunsetting, there is speculation that if you get anything, it won't be a DirecTivo. It could be a one of DirecTV's forthcoming DVRs.

It makes sense that DirecTV is discounting the HD DirecTivos since they may be obsolete pretty soon.

Has anyone else come across these concerns? This isn't an attempt to **** on anyone's good deal. Just wanted to let folks benefit from my hours of compulsive web surfing.
    Yamaha RX-V1500 // Outlaw Audio M200 (x2) Panasonic TH-52PZ700U
    Sony DVP-NS715P // Sony Playstation3 // Roku Soundbridge M1000[/color]
    Polk LSi15 (w/Monster Z2 Wire) // Polk LSiC // Polk LSi7 // Velodyne DLS-3500

Workshop Rig: Creek 4330 // Technics SL-P310 // Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble 2
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I agree with a lot of you said, except the "Sunsetting" with Tivo's contract with DirecTV this maybe true statement. But I like to add this being a TiVo user for 7 years or more (I forgot, but it was just after they came out) I know at this point TiVo is making money but not on their Stand Alone boxes, it's with DirecTV style boxes. So if DirecTiVo are being stopped I don't think they are going to kill their bread and butter so to speak?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,333
    edited August 2005
    Options
    It is well documented that forthcoming DVRs from Directv will not be running Tivo software. The HD Tivo is great, but it is also known to be a limited lifetime unit. Directv is going to start a slow transition to MPEG4 to offer local HD channels over satellite. It will be quite some time before the full transition is completed especially for those who are not in one of the Top 20 DMAs. Even if you are in one of the top markets that will be transitioned first, the initial benefit of MPEG4 will only be to get local HD channels. All national HD channels are still in MPEG2 and Directv will not turn those off until they have transitioned the entire country which probably won't be until sometime in 2007. Most insiders say that Directv will not be adding many national HD channels until after they get this transition done. By that time, most insiders have said that Directv will offer a free or low cost exchange. So I was not at all leary buying the HD Tivo now. If my market is converted to MPEG4, I will keep my HD Tivo until Directv offers me a free upgrade to their non-Tivo MPEG4 DVR. I won't be anxious until they start adding national HD channels in MPEG4 because I get all of my locals OTA with no problems.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Thought I'd update this same thread; a couple of years ago I got a free DVR from Directv just by calling and asking for it. Since there's a lot more HD programming today, I decided I wanted to add an HD DVR. I called the normal CS number and said that Dish was offering free HD-DVR's, that I wanted to stay with Directv, yada yada yada; they transferred me to another department, and to make a long story short, here's what I got.

HD-DVR for $199, including installation, bigger dish, etc.

For one year, I will get:

Free HD at 9.99 a month
    Free DVR service at 5.99 a month
    Additional discount of $10 a month
    For a total saving of $311.76. That means that after paying off the $199, I will still have money to pay an additional year of HD programming.

Pretty good deal if you ask me.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Ricardo, that's a great deal. My deal was free LNB-5 dish upgrade, and 3 HR20-100. No discounts on the programming (well, I shoulda ask, but I was pretty stoke getting all the hardware for free).

Btw, I didn't speak to anyone in Retention Dept. to get the deal.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,333
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Woah! Dredging up one of my old posts. I guess I could update too. I had my HD Tivo until about June or July of this year. Once the plans for additional HD channels became clear, I called Directv and I was given a free upgrade to the new HDDVR. I got to keep my old HDTivo since I "owned" it and the new one was a lease. So, I put the new one in the bedroom and played with it for a month or so and decided it was good enough to replace the HDTivo. I then sold my HDTivo for about $200 and was able to get a 2nd HDDVR from Directv for about $100 (lease). 5-6 months later, I'm enjoying the 50+ HD channels that Directv has launched on both TVs. Awesome! Do I miss having the Tivo brand? No. The Directv DVR does everything it is supposed to do for me and the increase in HD channels made it a no brainer.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Fast forward a couple of years. Still loving Directv's retention department.

I'm getting an additional HD DVR for free, plus free HD programming for 24 months. Not bad at all.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Ric5811
    Ric5811 Posts: 400
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Fast forward a couple of years. Still loving Directv's retention department.

I'm getting an additional HD DVR for free, plus free HD programming for 24 months. Not bad at all.

Yeah, it's time I put the screws to them now, with the new upgraded all home DVR and HD service.
    Polk RTi A7's FrontPolk CSi A4 CenterPolk Tsi 100's SurroundOnkyo TX-RZ50:)Oppo BDP 83 (Collecting dust)MIT Terminator 3 Speaker CableMIT Terminator 2 IC's (Oppo 2 chan)Signal Cable HT TWOEpson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080Hisense 55 U8GBelkin PF 60 Power Center
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited August 2010
    Options
    im loving my Direct TV HD/DVR. cant wait for NFL Sunday Ticket to start.......
    mole'
  • Ric5811
    Ric5811 Posts: 400
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I got it last year and again this year since I live out of market and gave up my season tix..
    I love it, this year they are not hosing you for extra for HD!
    Polk RTi A7's FrontPolk CSi A4 CenterPolk Tsi 100's SurroundOnkyo TX-RZ50:)Oppo BDP 83 (Collecting dust)MIT Terminator 3 Speaker CableMIT Terminator 2 IC's (Oppo 2 chan)Signal Cable HT TWOEpson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080Hisense 55 U8GBelkin PF 60 Power Center
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ric5811 wrote: »
    Yeah, I got it last year and again this year since I live out of market and gave up my season tix..
    I love it, this year they are not hosing you for extra for HD!

i got 5 months for free with the sign up for Sunday Ticket.

also free HD for life and $5 off per month with auto bill pay
    mole'